Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ200 retirement?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

CRJ200 retirement?

I once heard someone call the C2s the "Nickelback of the skies" and I couldn't agree more. I have to fly in these things much more often than I prefer to and from my regional airport.

I did some googling and found some articles that said Delta is retiring the C2 fleet but time and time again, I get stuck on these terrible, horrible planes.

Does anybody have a status update as to when we might see these dreaded school buses of the skies go away?
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. DL has been reducing the number of CR2s for quite some time. I don't think they've released a timeline for getting that number down to zero. Careful what wish you for, many routes cannot support larger planes. Those routes will see fewer flights, or will be cancelled altogether. Since you live at one of those airports, the day may come when you wish the CR2s would come back...
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I hope they never go completely away. Without a replacement lots of small cities would lose service completely. I'm not sure what replacement options there are on the horizon, but I really think that DL should take another look at turboprops. Jets don't make sense on short hops ex-ATL and JFK anyway.

I think the goal is to cut the fleet to around 50, with nearly all being based in the eastern-half of the country.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Welcome to Flyertalk. DL has been reducing the number of CR2s for quite some time. I don't think they've released a timeline for getting that number down to zero. Careful what wish you for, many routes cannot support larger planes. Those routes will see fewer flights, or will be cancelled altogether. Since you live at one of those airports, the day may come when you wish the CR2s would come back...
I've seen that argument as well but in my specific situation, they only use it for a 30 min route to our hub, that's kinda why I'm hoping they just go away. I would literally take anything else, maybe they'll go to a 700 before long.

I appreciate the reply and the welcome to Flyer talk. I love delta and I've been lurking on here for a while. Love just browsing through here.
​​​​​
Old May 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by skolvikings27
I've seen that argument as well but in my specific situation, they only use it for a 30 min route to our hub, that's kinda why I'm hoping they just go away. I would literally take anything else, maybe they'll go to a 700 before long.

I appreciate the reply and the welcome to Flyer talk. I love delta and I've been lurking on here for a while. Love just browsing through here.
​​​​​
I will say that DL has done a good job at getting them off long routes. None of the remaining routes are over 500 miles.

Meanwhile at UA and AA, you'll find them on 1000+ mile routes. RIC-IAH is one of the worst offenders on UA (1157mi, ERJ145).
Old May 7, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
I will say that DL has done a good job at getting them off long routes. None of the remaining routes are over 500 miles.

Meanwhile at UA and AA, you'll find them on 1000+ mile routes. RIC-IAH is one of the worst offenders on UA (1157mi, ERJ145).

​​​​​​That last sentence... oofta. Can they just stick me in a suitcase and put in cargo? I'd probably be more comfortable.

Just another reason delta gets every single one of my dollars.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:57 pm

​​​​​​That last sentence... oofta. Can they just stick me in a suitcase and put in cargo? I'd probably be more comfortable.

It's crazy how much better of an airline DL is compared to the other two. Yeah people around here complain (me included sometimes), but my conclusion after trying both recently was that AA and UA are just crappier than DL. AA is closer than UA, but DL is in its own league.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

United is adding 40 more CRJ-200s to its fleet this year. Fly those friendly skies!

United Airlines announced to add forty Bombardier CRJ-200s ? News In Flight
Old May 7, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The commitment was to reduce the number of 50-seaters from 343 in 2012 down to 125 frames. There was never any mention of completely eliminating them. As of the latest quarterly financial statement for the quarter ending March 31st, they are now down to 128 50-seat aircraft (CRJ-200's flying with Endeavor and Skywest).
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WWads
It's crazy how much better of an airline DL is compared to the other two. Yeah people around here complain (me included sometimes), but my conclusion after trying both recently was that AA and UA are just crappier than DL. AA is closer than UA, but DL is in its own league.
I agree. While DL is far from perfect, they are generally pretty reliable and I generally have good service with DL. Some things I question like the quality of FC meals on the decline lately and some inconsistent staff but I think that overall DL is much better in the quality of flying more mainline flights and being far more consistent than AA or UA onboard. On AA it still feels like I’m on two different airlines 2 1/2 years post merger and every time I look at UA, I see RJs galore so I’ll stick with DL.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Skolvikings27 - Tens of thousands people agree with you as evidenced by dozens if not hundreds of threads on Flyertalk on subject of CRJ-100 and 200 aircraft in the past years. For people on the heavy side flying on these aircraft are usually a terrible experience.
IF Delta discontinued service to an airport if Delta didn’t have CRJ-200s there are federal subsidies for providing service to “hard to reach communities”. If none of the larger commercial airlines provided air service the government may designate your home airport for such subsidies. My $0.02.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Careful what wish you for, many routes cannot support larger planes.
If they can handle a 200 they can handle a 700 and I would assume a 900. The 900 is a great ride
Mmc13 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Allanf
F Delta discontinued service to an airport if Delta didn’t have CRJ-200s there are federal subsidies for providing service to “hard to reach communities”. If none of the larger commercial airlines provided air service the government may designate your home airport for such subsidies. My $0.02.
You're describing the federal Essential Air Service subsidy program. There are significant qualifications and limitations to that. Among others:

The Department of Transportation and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2000, prohibits the Department from subsidizing EAS to communities located within the 48 contiguous States receiving per passenger subsidy amounts exceeding $200, unless the communities are located more than 210 miles from the nearest large- or medium-hub airport.

https://www.transportation.gov/polic...al-air-service

To the OP: Delta's December '17 Investor Day presentation suggests that 50-seat capacity, measured by domestic seat departures, will fall by about 70% by 2023. Maybe DL will have just 40-50 CRJ-200s at that time. IMHO that will not be good for service to small communities, not in terms of total frequencies and not in terms of getting service from multiple Delta hubs. But if RJ pilots want to make more money Delta wants them flying larger, lower cost-per-available-seat-mile aircraft. See slide #25.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:50 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
While I'm not a fan of the CRJ200, if it weren't for that aircraft, we'd likely have little to no service to AZO. On some days, we may get a CRJ700 on some hops, but it's not a regular thing. I'm sure many smaller markets are in the same boat. Personally, I fly out of GRR most of the time now as I'm not really a fan of that 122 mile drive I seem to make more often than not when I book in/out of AZO, but I'd hate to see our service disappear completely.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:53 am

I once heard someone call the C2s the "Nickelback of the skies" and I couldn't agree more. I have to fly in these things much more often than I prefer to and from my regional airport.

I did some googling and found some articles that said Delta is retiring the C2 fleet but time and time again, I get stuck on these terrible, horrible planes.

Does anybody have a status update as to when we might see these dreaded school buses of the skies go away?
That's a strange statement. The only thing they have in common is that they are Canadian. Apart from that they couldn't be more different, because people love Nickelback, but hate CRJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.