Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding madness

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Boarding madness

This morning in Atlanta, flight 2984. Atl to Oma they boarded Premium. Sky and zine 1 all at same time. What a madhouse that was.

I have never seen a boarding like this. They said due to delayed arrival of aircraft they were doing an expedited boarding, but they had everyone on the plane 15 minutes before scheduled departure

Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this type of expedited boarding?

Last edited by stillontheroad; May 7, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 7, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Never had boarding like that - but honestly it makes sense if the flight is late (ignoring pax satisfaction). Delta's priority boarding process ends up in the least efficient outcomes (since paxs are always competing for the same space - first, then C+, then preferred, and then finally the back (while infilling middles near the front of the plane).
Old May 7, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
This morning in Arlanta, flight 2984. Atl to Oma they boarded Premium. Sky and zine 1 all at same time. What a madhouse that was.

I have never seen a boarding like this. They said due to delayed arrival of aircraft they were doing an expedited boarding, but they had everyone on the plane 15 minutes before scheduled departure
Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this type of expedited boarding?
So, what you're saying is it worked?
Old May 7, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have seen GA do that for no reason. And I have told the GA that I thought the purpose of having zones was to avoid in mass mayhem boarding.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
All flights have boarding madness, just not in the same manner!

Agents like to mix it up just to keep us on our toes
Old May 7, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've been on a Chinese A320 that boarded in seven minutes. Every seat full.

Were you part of some elite boarding group and felt slighted?
Old May 7, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I had the same experience last weekend at JFK on a completely full flight. Pre-boards, Premium, then Sky and Zone 1 together. Flight was not running late. Just like YBYL (or not) and FEBO (or not), I would appreciate one policy applied consistently.
Seabilly, Renes Points and krlcomm like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
So, what you're saying is it worked?
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if OP is complaining or what.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
OP doesn't seem to be complaining, just noting something unusual in his experience and asking if anyone else has seen the same thing.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If an inbound aircraft arrives late, the gate and ground teams only have a certain amount of time for turn around. Not sure what that is at ATL, but RJs usually get 30-35 minutes, and mainline get more time. If the turn around time is not met for delayed boarding, the outbound delay gets put on the gate agents. That is the most likely reason for rushed boarding.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I would not be happy to be boarded like cattle if I were expecting to board with first class. This is Delta not Southwest. And those of you saying "it worked" (3c, pvn, aviator, I'm looking at you!) stop acting like you would not be annoyed.
strickerj, olegator and krlcomm like this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:03 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Well, here's the thing, people are always talking about how inefficient the boarding process is, people constantly think they've got "the best" boarding method, etc...

It turns out people really don't like boarding to be any faster than it is.

FWIW, I wouldn't be annoyed since I always board last, but yeah, I mean I get it, everyone wants the process to be faster but nobody wants to personally be rushed. It's everyone else that needs to speed up.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
, everyone wants the process to be faster but nobody wants to personally be rushed. It's everyone else that needs to speed up.

I don't care about it being faster. I care about not feeling like I'm in a heard of animals. I'd much prefer the process to be a bit slower and more civilized, and I don't think I'm alone.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would not be happy to be boarded like cattle if I were expecting to board with first class. This is Delta not Southwest. And those of you saying "it worked" (3c, pvn, aviator, I'm looking at you!) stop acting like you would not be annoyed.
Since they did away with the cattle call way, Southwest actually has the most orderly boarding process of any airline. Everybody gets a number, and you board when your group is called. No crowding around the gate by kettles or DYKWIAs!
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Since they did away with the cattle call way, Southwest actually has the most orderly boarding process of any airline. Everybody gets a number, and you board when your group is called. No crowding around the gate by kettles or DYKWIAs!
Exactly......
hurnik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.