Wiki Posts
Search

XNA-CVG is being cut

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
XNA-CVG is being cut

I just saw that one of the strangest routes in the DL system will be cut in September. I guess the Walmart traffic couldn’t sustain keeping the flight.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
This is a clear 50-seater phase-out causality. They couldn’t make the flight work departing mid-day instead of early morning.

They had to change it to noon since there wasn’t anywhere else for a 50-seater to go in the XNA rotation. It’s unfortunate, but I suspect we’ll see more cuts like this going forward.
Old May 6, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yep, unanticipated impact of revenue management on aircraft utilization
Old May 7, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't see how this is unanticipated. Moving from ~140 50-seaters at year-end 2017 to just about sixty on 2023 is going to produce all sorts of route casualties on airport pairs that can't support a CR7. You can't stimulate demand on XNA-CVG. Other than P&G and Kroger, few Buckeyes will want to go to XNA. CVG has too few routes to be a hub for XNA-originating travel.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:10 am

That's a shame. XNA-CVG-DCA was always an efficient connection for me when the AA nonstop was too expensive.

I wonder if we'll ever see future service to DTW or SLC from XNA.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't see how this is unanticipated. Moving from ~140 50-seaters at year-end 2017 to just about sixty on 2023 is going to produce all sorts of route casualties on airport pairs that can't support a CR7. You can't stimulate demand on XNA-CVG. Other than P&G and Kroger, few Buckeyes will want to go to XNA. CVG has too few routes to be a hub for XNA-originating travel.
unanticipated by passengers who haven't taken (or haven't wanted to take) the time to think about the dynamics of the airline as a whole ... you have to remember that we FTers are a very small and not very representative cross-section of the traveling public
Old May 7, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
unanticipated by passengers who haven't taken (or haven't wanted to take) the time to think about the dynamics of the airline as a whole ... you have to remember that we FTers are a very small and not very representative cross-section of the traveling public
Since when is the Revenue Management dept staffed by uninformed passengers?
Old May 7, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I don't think you need to be an FTer to appreciate the fact that this is likely a thin route (which was made considerably thinner by the loss of many connection options through CVG). If you weren't aware of the PG - WM angle, I think most would be surprised there's a non-stop between CVG and XNA, and none between DTW and XNA.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
I think most would be surprised there's a non-stop between CVG and XNA, and none between DTW and XNA.
MOST don't even know there is an XNA that it has anything to do with Wal-Mart or care.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Other than P&G and Kroger, few Buckeyes will want to go to XNA. CVG has too few routes to be a hub for XNA-originating travel.
Well, there’s a nice art museum!
(And I don’t imagine many KR employees are visiting WMT...)
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:44 pm

Random but looking for tickets into XNA on Jun 1 and noticed DL714 operates as a one off from MSP as an MD90? There appears to be maybe 5 folks booked on it so far, anybody know why this flight and equipment upguage exists that day?
Edit: and then it returns to MSP a completely full flight, must be some special event going on?
Old May 7, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Random but looking for tickets into XNA on Jun 1 and noticed DL714 operates as a one off from MSP as an MD90? There appears to be maybe 5 folks booked on it so far, anybody know why this flight and equipment upguage exists that day?
Edit: and then it returns to MSP a completely full flight, must be some special event going on?
Walmart Shareholders meeting that week. Always lots of up-gauges and extra flying.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Walmart Shareholders meeting that week. Always lots of up-gauges and extra flying.
Yes, and AA has something like a 3:44pm and 3:46pm flight on XNA-ORD that Friday.
Lots of flights only offering full Y availability. It's painful...
Old May 9, 2018, 2:09 pm

As a recent XNA flier, XNA now being closer than SGF, I am finding lots of improvements this airport has over SGF, even after losing CVG, We still have LGA and MSP.
Whereas SGF only offer's ATL.

Also we get a parking garage at XNA.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:18 am

This route has OneJet/Ultimate Air written all over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.