Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AA has Flagship, United has Polaris. Would Delta open a more exclusive lounge network

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA has Flagship, United has Polaris. Would Delta open a more exclusive lounge network

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 7:23 pm

Delta just isn’t competitive for premium international fliers and is getting less competitive by the day.

They used to have biz elite lounges and shuttered them after the merger. There was a brief program where biz passengers got served food and drink in the dining area of the SkyClub but they made a short sighted cut while AA and UA have taken intl biz class lounges to a first class level.

Its the ATL take it or don’t fly attitude which will bite them in JFK LAX and SEA if they don’t act.

Even MSP or DTW fliers with limited intl options have a great option in ORD connections with UA and AA.
They’ll get their hand forced when the Amex lounge opens in T4 JFK and sucks that revenue stream away from the SkyClub.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
They’ll get their hand forced when the Amex lounge opens in T4 JFK and sucks that revenue stream away from the SkyClub.
How? If you've got an AX Platinum card, you're already getting into the SC for free. Of course, they won't get the per visit dough that AX pays them, but they won't be feeding us either. And then, the AX lounge will be so crowded, people will go back to the SC.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Delta just isn’t competitive for premium international fliers and is getting less competitive by the day.

There was a brief program where biz passengers got served food and drink in the dining area of the SkyClub but they made a short sighted cut while AA and UA have taken intl biz class lounges to a first class level.
Actually the cut in that program corresponded with DL rolling out better food options for all SC guests and eliminating the pay menu.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd take the SFO lounge over any of the ATL ones, .

I agree. I really hope the current food stays, but I fear that they are just holding onto the Mai Pham menu because they have a contract that will at some point expire. It is the only Sky Club in the whole system with a special chef, and they cut the a la carte menu shortly after opening the club.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not sure exclusivity is the issue. AA's Flagship can be accessed by plats (=Gold Medallion) on any long-haul departures in any cabin, or by any non-AA OW Sapphires (=Gold Medallion) on any itinerary. The revamped JFK one only felt exclusive until this new access policy. Now it's a bit of zoo but still it's quite nice. Delta needs to elevate their game in this area period. They could certainly use a small network of lounges on the level of international business/first class lounges of Asian and European airlines just keep some semblance of reciprocity with their partners like AF which provides a much better lounge experience in CDG.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes to this, but I think in this situation it would be even more extreme. Right now the SC's need to accommodate DL's best customers, including all D1 pax. If d1 pax (and probably 360's and maybe DM's) were granted access to a higher level lounge, the business case for investing in the current lounges would change. They don't have nearly the incentive to keep me, a GM who enters with a Amex plat card, as happy as they do the pax who travels in D1 12 times a year. So, for purely selfish reasons, I like the situation as is.
Well, the alternative is that they lose the international business class flier on the margin, and then they have to cut services in the SCs for everyone. My view is that the SC's are currently a little "too nice" for a membership club and not nice enough for an international J lounge.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I agree. I really hope the current food stays, but I fear that they are just holding onto the Mai Pham menu because they have a contract that will at some point expire. It is the only Sky Club in the whole system with a special chef, and they cut the a la carte menu shortly after opening the club.
Ethan Stowel is the chef for the SEA Sky Club. The food is so much better than any other club..... except SFO.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I think DL needs to do something, even if a couple of premium drink chits for DL1 pax.

As someone who does JFK-LAX-JFK very frequently, AA is currently looking really good - just my opinion. My (free/comp) EXP upgrade JFK-LAX just cleared 4 days out, was able to pre-select my entree and will be looking forward to the Flasgship Lounge and the free made to order menu over at "the bridge" in T8, multi-course meals in-flight etc. T4.......eh.
You have to be in F on AA to access the Flagship dining. J CLASS only gets you access to the lounge.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hnewman
The real question in my mind is how to do thing change without the AMEX waiver next year. I will make it but lots of DM will not.
I really don't think it will make that much of a difference. I think most people actually get the spend requirement. I hope you are right but I just don't think so.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I really don't think it will make that much of a difference. I think most people actually get the spend requirement. I hope you are right but I just don't think so.

If that is true what do you suppose DL's motivation was to change the fee waiver level so dramatically?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You have to be in F on AA to access the Flagship dining. J CLASS only gets you access to the lounge.
you must not be familiar with “the bridge” at JFK which is kind of a hybrid between the two and accessible to anyone with FL access.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
We're at the point where people in airline lounges are "kettles".

I think I see what the problem is.
I believe you are confusing a single person with the word people.

By all means use a single persons hyperbole to paint a broad brush for all of FT though.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't think the Kettles hang out in the Sky Club. That's hyperbole. But, I do agree that the Sky Clubs are uneven. SEA (A/B) and SFO are my two favorites and there is nothing in ATL, MSP, and SLC that comes close to those two lounges. At least we know that SLC will be replaced in a couple years. The food at SEA and SFO is pretty good. I don't think any American airline lounge will ever match the VS clubhouse at LHR with a menu of yummy food or the CX lounges at HKG.
Maybe I am in the minority but last time I was at SLC (less than a month ago) I still like that one. Quiet, not crowded, etc.

I for one can NOT stand the ATL B club, overcrowded, loud, and its usually a fight to find a seat. In the other clubs at least there are quieter areas to take calls and do business but in B that is definitely lacking.

Strictly in my opinion the B club and D11 at ATL are on the same level (and D11 is by far the worst), the only difference is B has more toilets instead of one Unisex one.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:08 am

While the title of this thread references Ua and AA let us not forget that DL also competes with foreign carriers . This is especially true at JFK. Flying times from JFK to Europe can be quite “short” and many premium class passengers prefer to have a proper meal and premium cocktail on the ground and spend the flight relaxing and sleeping . So , DL needs to mindful of the lounge experiences offered by LH and BA etc . as well as UA and AA . As I stated above , the best interim solution is premium drink chits for D1 passengers. Heck , they run promotions during the year for DL Amex holders to enjoy premium cocktails so , in my opinion , it’s the least they can do for D1.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:12 am

Over 50% of their intl fleet are 767s with the derided Thomson Vantage seat - and there's no plan in sight to refit those seats.

By the end of this year in NYC and LA - the two largest, most competitive long haul intl markets in the US, AA and UA will each have facilities on par with foreign carrier lounges for intl biz class passengers and in the case of AA, top tier elites. DL continues with no differentiation for biz class or top tier elites unless you're flying to LHR and continues to cut the quality of 'free' food offerings. Don't tell us switching to 'broth' was not a cost save.

My bet is their hand will be forced to provide premium drink / food in the existing lounge as a stopgap - possibly cordon off the seated dining area for premium pax at JFK, and build it into the design at LAX whenever that gets built.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 2, 2018 at 9:49 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.