Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA using restroom after landing and taxiing to gate ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA using restroom after landing and taxiing to gate ATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Somewhat related kinda sorta ish:
had two things happen this week that I don't recall ever seeing:
1) On a CRJ 200 torture tube, the FA did not talk to the people in the exit row(including me) prior to take off like they always have before. Never seen that.
2) One a MD 88, the pilot did not give his normal "Greetings from the flight deck, we are #2 for take off. Flight attendants please prepare the cabin for take off". He instead just taxied in to position on the runway and began the take off roll. The FA's had to scramble to sit down. It was odd.

Just random thoughts.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wrp96
Considering they are on duty once they get to the gate, it would probably be a lot longer than 4 minutes before they would have the opportunity to go to the restroom. Also, sometimes when you've got to go, you've got to go.
This. It's not as if once the plane hits the gate, they are off duty. Even if they were, they would have to fight the rest of the crowd to get to a bathroom in the terminal, which may or may not be near the gate.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
A DL FA asked me if she could take my coat. I told her that, I don't like having it on my lap during landing and while taxiing to the gate, so, I keep it in the overhead bin. I told her that, i noticed that KLM FAs pass out the coats upon landing during taxiing, and how I thought that was a great idea! She told me that, FAs are REQUIRED by the FAA <I think> to remain seated during taxi after landing.

Any thoughts???
Former F/A here (not with DL but with another major U.S. carrier). This is almost correct; you may have misheard a detail.

While on the ground but not at the gate, the FAA regs require F/As to be on or near their jumpseats except to perform safety-related functions (checking seatbelts; the demo; final walk-through and headcount before take-off). Collecting or handing back coats, PDB service, galley prep, etc. - anything else service-related - is not considered safety-related and so should not be done while the doors are armed and the plane is still on the ground. (Neither should congregating and chatting in the galleys but I know that happens all the time; however it is technically a no-no.)

The reason there is the requirement to be near their jumpseats is primarily in case there needs to be an evacuation while taxiing. It would be impossible to get to their assigned emergency exit doors to assist in the evac if suddenly all the passengers are clogging up the aisles trying to get to the doors too while the F/As are caught somewhere in the middle of the cabin.

Using the restroom would not be safety-related so is also technically not allowed, but it may have been an emergency.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Are you sure the FA was using the lav and not cleaning it? Not sure about US carriers and certainly not after landing but on international carriers I've seen FAs often go inside a lav and close the door for maintenance or cleaning (rubber gloves and rolls of toilet paper on the way in being the giveaway). Perhaps she was restocking the toilet rolls for the next flight anticipating a busy/short turnaround? Though I'd expect that to be done by cleaning crew on the ground.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Once on taxi out to the runway a very young PAX had to go. The father was really really trying hard to work with his child, explaining she could not get up from her seat. But she was miserable, crying, and afraid she would not be able to hold it. Props to the FA and the Captain as the plane stopped on the apron for a potty break.

One the other hand I have seen many FA remain seated on the taxi to the gate and I have seen others get up to dash into the lav. More often than not FA are up during the taxi out to the runway.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm just going to leave this here, double standards alive and well.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-p...ught-on-video/

Also why pre-2013 I never listened to the BS "every device has to be powered-off" policy that had no effect on safety.

Last edited by DCP2016; Apr 27, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
passengers aren't allowed in the cockpit during flight, but crew is, DOUBLE STANDARD
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
passengers aren't allowed in the cockpit during flight, but crew is, DOUBLE STANDARD
Apples to Oranges. The cockpit is meant for flight crew use only, before, during and after the flight. The lavatories are open to everyone. Delta forcibly removed someone from their aircraft for going to the bathroom during taxi. Like I said, double standard.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by GagaPilot

Airline pilot here.... there’s no FAA requirement for FA’s to be seated on the taxi after landing. Could a specific carrier require it? Sure. But it’s not an FAA rule.

More than likely this FA just had to go, and hey, it happens. Better go then rather than during deplaning,

Actually it is a FAR about remaining in the Jumpseat.

During takeoff and landing, flight attendants required by this section shall be located as near as practicable to required floor level exists and shall be uniformly distributed throughout the airplane in order to provide the most effective egress of passengers in event of an emergency evacuation. During taxi, flight attendants required by this section must remain at their duty stations with safety belts and shoulder harnesses fastened except to perform duties related to the safety of the airplane and its occupants.

crank1225 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve

Actually it is a FAR about remaining in the Jumpseat.

During takeoff and landing, flight attendants required by this section shall be located as near as practicable to required floor level exists and shall be uniformly distributed throughout the airplane in order to provide the most effective egress of passengers in event of an emergency evacuation. During taxi, flight attendants required by this section must remain at their duty stations with safety belts and shoulder harnesses fastened except to perform duties related to the safety of the airplane and its occupants.

Thanks. As posted above was just curious.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Apples to Oranges. The cockpit is meant for flight crew use only, before, during and after the flight. The lavatories are open to everyone. Delta forcibly removed someone from their aircraft for going to the bathroom during taxi. Like I said, double standard.
lol, it's still a different standard for crew than for pax. It's still a double standard.

seriously

take it to the hall of rants thread

FWIW, since you want to get nitty, there's no regulation prohibiting you from using the lav. There's a regulation requiring you to remain seated.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
lol, it's still a different standard for crew than for pax. It's still a double standard.

seriously

take it to the hall of rants thread

FWIW, since you want to get nitty, there's no regulation prohibiting you from using the lav. There's a regulation requiring you to remain seated.

Double standard. Apparently according to posters above when a FA needs to go, they need to go. When a passenger needs to go, they get removed from the aircraft. What a world we live in.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by pvn
I, for one, am glad the crew are allowed in the cockpit during flight. I generally feel it will go much better with trained crew at the controls. As for pax in the cockpit, it's a bummer that I disagree with. I'd love to be able to visit the cockpit while in the air.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Whether you disagree or agree with it isn't the issue. It's a double standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.