Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy and 24 hour Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Basic Economy and 24 hour Cancellation

Is the 24-hour risk-free cancellation policy applicable when booking a Basic Economy Ticket?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Nothing called out in their policy regarding Basic Economy being excluded. Just as long as you purchase >7 days out from departure.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...cellation.html
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Nothing called out in their policy regarding Basic Economy being excluded. Just as long as you purchase >7 days out from departure.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...cellation.html
Correct. The 24 hour cancellation is an FAADoT requirement so it cannot be changed by fare class restrictions.

Last edited by ethernal; Apr 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCATraveler

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/ticket-changes-refunds/risk-free-
cancellation.html
DL has no such 7 day requirement. Got rid of it two or so years ago.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is actually a DOT requirement.

DL's policy is significantly more expansive than the DOT rule, so it does matter a great deal.

DL's policy applies to all tickets, no matter how close in.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO

I don't ever recall DL enforcing the 7 day rule.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The fact that DL's risk-free cancellation policy is more generous than strictly required by the DOT almost bit me recently -- on another airline! I called in to do a RFC and they said "Unfortunately your ticket is not eligible for RFC" but it's US origin, and within 24 hours. The agent clarified, "While you are within 24 hours of booking, it is less than 7 days before travel" the agent correctly interpreted my stunned silence as being blindsided by this, put me on hold of their own accord to check with a supervisor, then said there was nothing they could do at that hour but (not in so many words) advised me to HUCA during daytime business hours and maybe they'd be able to make an exception (it was only just under 7 days, not that that matters -- by rights they had me). Luckily the second agent gave zero pushback when I asked about RFC and cheerfully put it into the refund queue.

Haven't seen the actual credit back to my account yet, but fingers crossed...
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't ever recall DL enforcing the 7 day rule.
Don't remember if they enforced it, but know it officially went out the window then. Same time they made it possible to request a refund online for basically all tickets.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DL policy is not only more expansive than the DOT rules requirement because it permits cancellations insider 7 days, but it is also potentially for greater than 24 hours as the request may be made until midnight of the day following the purchase. If one purchases at 00:01 on Day 1, one would have until 23:59 on Day 2 or just short of 48 hours:

Tickets/Cancellation:
Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. Available only for eTickets purchased at the time of reservation through Delta ticket offices and airport ticket counters, Reservation Sales, or at delta.com.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK DL never had a seven day rule; DL always gave the full refund even when it wasn't mandated by the FAA regulation.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:34 am

FYI. Expedia has ever more relaxed 24-hour cancellation policy, which extends until end of next business day PST. I often buy tickets on Friday and have the whole weekend and Monday to sort out hotels etc. There are some disadvantages of buying though OTA, but as an Elite Plus member on Expedia I get great service and many hotel-related wavers and favors. In worse case scenario there is $50 fee if I need DL to take control over the ticket (often waved for return flight because for some reason DL often already has control after outbound), but given how many refunds and changes I got on non-refundable hotels from Expedia, it's just a minor nuisance. I also was refunded for flights that already departed -- my friend mixed up departure time and basically did not show up, but because booking was still within 24 hour rule, Expedia refunded with no questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.