Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta FF, after the southwest engine explosion, will you sit in a different spot?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
The WN incident won't change where I sit on DL flights, since I am almost always either in C+ or an exit row.
That said, I often sit in or near row 19 on WN flights, in a window seat. And, well, that probably won't change either since -- as pointed out a lot upthread -- the overwhelming odds are I'll be absolutely fine (note WN has had two seemingly very similar events in less than two years, which isn't a trend, but suggests the FAA Airworthiness Directive that is expected this week is not misplaced, but also only likely to impact a few hundred engines).
I think the more important lesson from the various social media images is that nearly no one knows how put on the oxygen mask correctly. The pilots descended quickly enough that it likely didn't matter much, thankfully.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
World: First death on a US airline after approximately 8 billion successful passenger journeys
FT: How will this clear risk to life and limb change the way you travel? affect my chances for an upgrade? And how long do I have to wait after someone is sucked out of a window in FC to take the (now) empty seat if I am in 1st place on the upgrade list? Will the delay affect my meal choice?

Fixed that for ya
pvn likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:40 am

I think we can all agree on the fact that the whole plane crashing and killing everyone is more likely to happen than an engine explosion killing somebody next to a window.
As it is, we know that dying in plane crash is increasingly unlikely, therefore, the chance of dying in an accident similar to that of WN1380 is a tiny fraction of the that of dying in a very unlikely event.

So to answer the OP's question: No, this has not changed where I will sit.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
I used to always sit / fly in 1st class....

Now, with Delta FCM, I am 40% more likely (this year) to be near the wing in coach (I like exit row)...

If the 1 in 8 billion happens to me I will blame cheap Delta APP/SELL/Check-In up-sells!
Well at least someone finally found the REAL tragedy here
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:38 pm

southwest engine

No I'm not either. You have a better chance of just dropping over now in the middle o
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:53 am

you guys don't get it

[QUOTE=tkjazzer;29653604]I usually only fly delta.

I am terribly upset about the plane accident which killed a woman on southwest after an engine exploded. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for her family.

Is it safer to sit in front of the wing?

If an engine blows up, the shrapnel likely will go lateral or aft of the engine, right?
Is the aisle safer than the window?

Looks like row 17.
So sad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8309201.html

What about when flying on a 737? Or at least a 737-700?
Southwest Airlines engine explosion linked to prior accident - BBC News[/QUOTE

I was involved with a company years ago that made precision parts, high precision for rotating parts. They still manufacture today.
The blades are subject to major stress and they must be regularly tested. In my opinion the airlines and FAA have all fallen down
on this one. BIGTIME. If a fan blade fails there is no limit on potential damage. Interior seat won't help if the wing goes or major
fuselage tear. Its a downer.
SPEAK up and complain BIGTIME. The manufacturing process also needs to be reviewed, not JUST testing the finished product
as perhaps the blades need replacing with those of a higher standard.

Ask any metallurgist. That company even manufactured such mundane items as guidance control gears on Nikki's(our old missiles)

hope the msp economist reads this one
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Fleck
If you sit in an aisle seat, you have exactly the same chance of dying from some dork's fantasy sword falling out of the overhead. Don't be silly.
You are permitted to have swords on a plane?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
I did a bit more digging (I just extrapolated knowing there were about 900M pax las year - but didn't adjust for less travel during the recession, etc). The real number is about 7 billion. The odds of winning the powerball are 1 in about 300M, so winning the lottery (per ticket) is about 20-25x more likely than the odds of dying on a passenger plane over the past 9 years (although there is some bias in these figures - one major air disaster would flip the odds back in favor of airplane death over powerball)
Yeah, without arguing against your general point, I'm sure that stat looked a touch different for the year 2001.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA/Delta Silver ; UA ; AA
[QUOTE=overdahill;29673249]
Originally Posted by tkjazzer
I usually only fly delta.

I am terribly upset about the plane accident which killed a woman on southwest after an engine exploded. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for her family.

Is it safer to sit in front of the wing?

If an engine blows up, the shrapnel likely will go lateral or aft of the engine, right?
Is the aisle safer than the window?

Looks like row 17.
So sad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8309201.html

What about when flying on a 737? Or at least a 737-700?
Southwest Airlines engine explosion linked to prior accident - BBC News[/QUOTE

I was involved with a company years ago that made precision parts, high precision for rotating parts. They still manufacture today.
The blades are subject to major stress and they must be regularly tested. In my opinion the airlines and FAA have all fallen down
on this one. BIGTIME. If a fan blade fails there is no limit on potential damage. Interior seat won't help if the wing goes or major
fuselage tear. Its a downer.
SPEAK up and complain BIGTIME. The manufacturing process also needs to be reviewed, not JUST testing the finished product
as perhaps the blades need replacing with those of a higher standard.

Ask any metallurgist. That company even manufactured such mundane items as guidance control gears on Nikki's(our old missiles)

hope the msp economist reads this one
did you contact the Washington Post? would be a nice opinion piece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.