Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The real reason why Delta is gutting Narita and intra-Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The real reason why Delta is gutting Narita and intra-Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And who needs it when you can partner with a communist-owned airline in Shanghai?
Oh right, I almost forgot, the "communists" in China are in on the conspiracy too.

Keep an eye peeled for black helicopters while you're at it.
jdrtravel and pvn like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
What are the chances that DL would switch NRT-SIN to HND if a bunch more slots are granted? AFAIK the Japan traffic rights aren't limited to specific airports.
US carrier slots at HND are for specific routes. Hence why Delta specifically flies to MSP and LAX from HND. That’s the specific route they’ve been given for the slot (and what Delta bid for during the last round of slot bids for US and Japanese carriers at HND).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
What are the chances that DL would switch NRT-SIN to HND if a bunch more slots are granted? AFAIK the Japan traffic rights aren't limited to specific airports.
Low. Even if they had access to all the slots they wanted at HND, they would probably use the switch as an opportunity to get rid of the flight. Route passengers via ICN. It's a shame they are not getting any 787s, because an aircraft of that size would be ideal for SEA-MNL/SIN.

Back to the original question... NRT is going away because new, efficient aircraft enable DL to offer nonstop flights to the US from destinations that were previously unable to sustain such service. Additionally, their new partnerships with KE and MU give them a place to send connecting passengers.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
I would bet an A359 will serve SIN from SEA in short order.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jamiestr
I would bet an A359 will serve SIN from SEA in short order.

Thereby connecting two fabulous communist empires.
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.