Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Terminal at Newark

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Delta Terminal at Newark

Full disclosure: in the grand scheme of things, this is kind of a minor deal, However, it drove me crazy today! I am in NYC 2-3 times a month and have used LGA almost every time. I flew in to EWR yesterday instead(had a meeting in NJ) and flew out this am. What is the deal with this modified Pre Check nonsense with the orange card? I haven't seen that in many moons, especially at a large international airport. Leaving my shoes on is not a huge benefit when you have to take all lap tops, Ipads, toiletries, etc out and put them through.

Is that how all the terminals are at EWR? Never thought i would type the following sentence: it made me miss LGA

just wondering if that is a TSA trend. Hope not.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
It happens quite often actually. I fly out of EWR mostly on Sundays and I guess when they are short-staffed, they just converge everyone to the regular screening. I hate EWR with a passion but it's the closest option. Screw having to pay $15 to cross GWB(is it $16 now?) and more($8.50x2) for RFK bridge to access LGA or JFK. The newly updated skyclub is nice though. That's the only silver lining.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
It happens all the time. I believe 100% of the time to be exact but cannot say for sure. I think it has to do with the comparatively low volume of passnengers clearing security at Terminal B gate 40-47
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I've been through EWR maybe 10 times in the last 2 years and every time it's been pre-check lite. It's certainly not the only airport where I've run into this but it's relatively uncommon.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Didn't look like a volume thing. There were a ton of people in line. Smallest airport I am in and out of on a regular basis is Green Bay Wisconsin. They have full pre check each time. Tsa there does close during the times with no flights going out but,again it's full pre check.

I havent seen pre check lite in a very long fine.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Didn't look like a volume thing. There were a ton of people in line. Smallest airport I am in and out of on a regular basis is Green Bay Wisconsin. They have full pre check each time. Tsa there does close during the times with no flights going out but,again it's full pre check.

I havent seen pre check lite in a very long fine.
I'm a fan of precheck lite. Great taste, less filling.
hi55us likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
when the DL Shuttle was still in the marine air terminal at LGA-A, it was precheck lite too. kind of odd for a big airport like EWR to have PC lite
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I've flown DL out of EWR many times, and I've never seen the precheck line open - doesn't matter whether it's been at 5:30 am or 5:30 pm. I agree, it's super frustrating - and on top of that, TSA for those gates at EWR seems to have the slowest throughput of any TSA I've been to anywhere in the country. It drives me nuts.

On the positive side, as mentioned above, the newly renovated EWR SkyClub is quite nice and plenty spacious relative to the volume of traffic.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

It's a big airport but that security checkpoint only handles like 6 gates.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cory6188
On the positive side, as mentioned above, the newly renovated EWR SkyClub is quite nice and plenty spacious relative to the volume of traffic.
It's certainly a huge improvement over the old "let's just cram as many chairs into this room as possible" layout and has some of the best runway views of any club.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are already checked in and have a BP, go to Terminal C and take the shuttle bus to B if you want precheck.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
No CLEAR, No Pre (and the lousiest, nastiest TSA staff anywhere), No Non-stops except to a few hubs. NO Superg1955 through there - EVER!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by TomMM
If you are already checked in and have a BP, go to Terminal C and take the shuttle bus to B if you want precheck.
There is no longer an airside connection from C to B1. You'd have to reclear security at Terminal B.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
There is no longer an airside connection from C to B1. You'd have to reclear security at Terminal B.
Rats!! thought we were on to a work around. I would have seriously done his had it still been an option moving forward.

As for the Skyclub: it is very very nice. Big fan here. Decent food offerings, good views of the international terminal next door that usually has some 777s, and some relatively private seating in the back. It is nice.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
I've been through EWR 50 times or so in the last 5 years, most on DL, some on SK, and a rare couple on UA. Departure yesterday was the first time in all of those trips I could at least leave my 3-1-1 liquids in my bag and go through the metal detector instead of the scanner (lucky me was the random additional screening, so I did get the scanner anyway but most didn't). All electronics larger than a cell phone still had to come out though.

Agree on the DL lounge there. It's a vast improvement from its old version. The new one is really nice and I echo Ryno1234. I had an enjoyable time finishing up some work and watching the planes yesterday evening from about 16:30-18:00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.