Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat 4/14; Weather at MSP; 3-5" Snow; Winds 20-30 mph

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen the term thundersnow used on MN TV weather forecasts a few times and I've actually seen it happen once or twice.

BTW, now some of the forecasts say up to SEVENTEEN INCHES by late Saturday in west central MN, an probably about EIGHT inches in the metro and at MSP.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Now 5-8” of snow, plus more wind

Originally Posted by RRDD
Look out; here it comes again.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/MSP:9:US
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
I was looking at the winter waiver and this struck me as interesting:

CONDITIONS & RESTRICTIONS

Eligibility only for customers with an Original Ticket Issue Date on or before January 22, 2018. Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

(Source: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...r-weather.html)
What the heck? I've never noticed anything like that before, and certainly have never made aware of it in IRROPS, is it standard?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
I was looking at the winter waiver and this struck me as interesting:

What the heck? I've never noticed anything like that before, and certainly have never made aware of it in IRROPS, is it standard?
Haha, I think that unrealistic date is an artifact from a previous waiver. On the following sites, it mentions that the waiver applies to tickets issued on or before April 12.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ulletin-1.html

Edit: The forecasted track of the low pressure center and regions of enhanced lift (which would cause heavier snow) have shifted further south today, and if it holds, MSP could easily get more than 8 inches. Probably could get in the 8-12 inch range.
Delta Dude likes this.

Last edited by FlyerWx; Apr 12, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Weather Service: Potentially Historic Storm

The National Weather Service just issued the following statement. While MSP can handle a lot of snow, it is likely worth avoiding tomorrow night and Saturday.

“This may be an historic storm if the current forecast pans out.

Showers and thunderstorms tonight and most of Friday will transition to heavy snow from southwest/west central MN to northern and central WI Friday night. The snow will continue into Saturday evening. Total accumulations of 8 to 15 inches are expected in this corridor, with 18 inches not ruled out. In addition, a wintry mix with freezing rain will develop Friday night across southern MN, and ice accumulations of 1/4 inch are possible there.

Travel may become impossible Friday night. The worst travel conditions are expected during the nighttime hours, with some improvement possible during the daylight hours Saturday. Power outages are also possible.”
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Hmm. Have a connection through MSP Saturday evening. Not liking what I see from this standpoint.
Debating between the following:
a) earlier departure connecting over ATL and getting me back to DTW later
b) change a flight to Sunday morning nonstop back to DTW (would prefer to get home Saturday night)
c) wait-and-see until tomorrow with what its looking like for MSP
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Hmm. Have a connection through MSP Saturday evening. Not liking what I see from this standpoint.
Debating between the following:
a) earlier departure connecting over ATL and getting me back to DTW later
b) change a flight to Sunday morning nonstop back to DTW (would prefer to get home Saturday night)
c) wait-and-see until tomorrow with what its looking like for MSP
The forecasts have been trending worse but still are uncertain about when the change from rain to freezing rain to snow is going to occur. The Winter Storm Warning is from 1am Sat until 1am Sun. If the storm does materialize as currently modeled MSP will still be impacted on sunday morning (especially if they don’t proactively cancel flights and have to get equipment and crews in place).

My guess is that it’s not quite as bad as currently forecasted and DL runs it until the operation falls apart and uses Sunday to gather themselves back together. I’d check things in the morning and lean towards option A.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Flying out of MSP right now and the SC agents were told to pack a bag for the weekend. Just heard that the new track says 10-15” at MSP with ice before and high winds during and after the snow Saturday and Sunday. Man this winter won’t end here
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by puck021
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Flying out of MSP right now and the SC agents were told to pack a bag for the weekend. Just heard that the new track says 10-15” at MSP with ice before and high winds during and after the snow Saturday and Sunday. Man this winter won’t end here
Insert Game of Thrones joke here
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:51 pm

Any further update on how MSP is looking for tomorrow?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The latest forecast has the snow continuing through Sunday evening.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Any further update on how MSP is looking for tomorrow?
The predicted ice didn’t materialize and it went straight to snow. My guess is that MSP and DL do fine tomorrow with mostly deice delays and a mess with DL connection. The snow fall rate isn’t going to be crazy it’s just going to be a long storm which will result in high total amounts. MSP should be able to keep the runways and ramps open.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
A little concerned for an early connection in MSP on Sunday. Mostly because the a/c departing RAP will arrive at 1030pm Saturday so the chain could very well begin right there. Time will tell... Guess I'll go shovel the 12 inches of snow on my porch in RAP
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Yea hardly that big a deal for MN. We get way worse
​​​​​​​its April. This storm is highly out of the ordinary even for MN.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:06 pm

As of right now, I'm still going to "try" my MSP connection Sat evening. Its mainline-to-mainline and I'm almost positive the MSP-DTW flight is going to go although could be heavily delayed.

Worst case I rebook and come-home Sunday morning at this point. All of the other options to change to weren't feasible time-wise or were ridiculously lengthy layover times in ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.