Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multicity routing/price help/thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Question Multicity routing/price help/thoughts?

WHY the excessive price? Am I missing something I could be doing other than trying another airline stripped of any metal.

Initially looked at the price and it was around 480 then the next day it jumped to over 1k for this routing: depart ATL PVR 4/21 return PVR LAX 4/25

Meanwhile, booking friend RT ATL PVR was seeing 480 earlier but now still 530 main cabin nonstop or with a connection. So I could actually fly via LAX for that price but terminating at LAX is double the amount.

I can even do two one way tix it appears for less ATL PVR 476 PVR LAX 129!

So why is the multicity with LAX over double more when it’s the PVR LAX leg that seems priced low? FRUSTRATING and wondering if this is a sign I shouldn't be going to Puerto Vallarta

Last edited by dealOCD; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:00 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Some fare combinations require a round-trip or open jaw. (You don't have an open jaw.) That's very commonly the way it works with legacy airline pricing.

Buy the separate one-way tickets, or fly another airline.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an open jaw, but the cheaper fare classes have the following restriction on combinability --

MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT

The open segment (ATL-LAX) is longer than the shortest fare component (PVR-LAX).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Because DL.dumb booking engine does not work for anything remotely out of the ordinary

Last May I flew ATL-AMS, AMS-CLT for $5K in J

If I added CLT-ATL (four day stopover in CLT) it went to $12K

So $7K to fly from CLT-ATL!!!!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
It's an open jaw, but the cheaper fare classes have the following restriction on combinability --

MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT

The open segment (ATL-LAX) is longer than the shortest fare component (PVR-LAX).
This is a common requirement; in fact, I think of it as part of the definition of open jaw.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Because DL.dumb booking engine does not work for anything remotely out of the ordinary

It was almost certainly due to combinability restrictions on the J fare and had nothing to do with the booking engine. Same situation with OP.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Wow

7k beats my situation that is rediculous.
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

i guess in all my flying I’ve not come across this. I’ve recently done LAX to ATL and ATL to MCO and it was cheaper than RT LaX ATL. Well I knew I could learn something here.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a common requirement; in fact, I think of it as part of the definition of open jaw.
It's a common requirement of lower fare classes. In this case, everything B or lower has the language above in the combinability section while the Y fare does not. So OP needs to upfare to Y on outbound in order to combine fares.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 28, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

LOL

Originally Posted by LBJ
It's a common requirement of lower fare classes. In this case, everything B or lower has the language above in the combinability section while the Y fare does not. So OP needs to upfare to Y on outbound in order to combine fares.
Thanks. thought I would look into that. comes up as 2k.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dealOCD
Thanks. thought I would look into that. comes up as 2k.
You are misunderstanding. It automatically upfares to a Y fare on the ATL-PVR segment in order to combine the two fares on a single ticket due to the fare rule combination requirements on open jaws. The only way to avoid the high-priced Y fare is to book the flights on separate tickets instead of trying to combine on a single ticket. If you use Google Flights to search for pricing on these multi-city itins, it will automatically tell you to book as separate tickets in these cases in order to get the cheaper price.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

thank you.

Originally Posted by LBJ
You are misunderstanding. It automatically upfares to a Y fare on the ATL-PVR segment in order to combine the two fares on a single ticket due to the fare rule combination requirements on open jaws. The only way to avoid the high-priced Y fare is to book the flights on separate tickets instead of trying to combine on a single ticket. If you use Google Flights to search for pricing on these multi-city itins, it will automatically tell you to book as separate tickets in these cases in order to get the cheaper price.
Thanks for the clarification. I actually did just happen upon that on google flights. ITA has been my go to but I like how google breaks this down. thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.