Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just found the absolute worst mileage redemption...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

With lots of jokes/frustrations on this forum about some of the 700,000+ RT SkyMiles Awards to places like SYD and JNB in J I just found something that is even more laughable.

First, what is up with DL charging double/triple/+++ just for their stupid A350 suites? Is anyone seriously redeeming their SkyMiles for these flights????

I am trying to find a way home from BKK in December using SkyMiles as I would like to get rid of them since I am no longer flying DL. There are a few nice 80k Mile redemptions available (which I will be choosing), but what is up with this flight below....

The first leg is in Y!!!!

So not only have I found the HIGHEST priced one-way redemption but it doesn't even include J on all the legs!!!

415,000 Skymiles for a one-way flight with one 5hr leg in Y......just plain nuts....

Keep Climbing, DL.....
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
1 MILLION SkyMiles anyone?....

Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Yes that sounds a lot, but it averages out to 155,000 miles per sector, and all the flights are in D1 or FC, so really not so bad! That's six long flights!

Last edited by audidudi; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I recall some sort of PR blurb not long ago where DL was bragging about how many miles pax had redeemed over the course of a year.

Note that the focus was on miles redeemed, not trips taken.

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1
First, what is up with DL charging double/triple/+++ just for their stupid A350 suites? Is anyone seriously redeeming their SkyMiles for these flights????
Post the extract from the fare rules, with fare breaks (BKK-SEL and SEL-PHX for this) and the redemption fare codes. Maybe LBJ will explain the construction.

You note you have already found a way to avoid it. That's probably a single fare component BKK-PHX.

What does aa.com show you? I'll answer that for you: Nothing, because neither Cathay Pacific nor JAL award search is supported.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
How about 108K miles for a 255 mile segment of MSP-INL (see post 34 ) - in a regional jet? It's come down in price, but that was pretty ridiculous and why I've written off DL unless I have to.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold, Delta 0.17 MM
Originally Posted by DrAlex
How about 108K miles for a 255 mile segment of MSP-INL (see post 34 ) - in a regional jet? It's come down in price, but that was pretty ridiculous and why I've written off DL unless I have to.
Yes but for every ridiculous expensive redemption, you can also find ridiculously long-haul flights that cost less than a domestic ticket. It all comes down to IT algorithms, and no airline has it perfect - you can find weird pricing that both benefits and hurts the consumer. It's a little over-reactive to write off an entire airline because you happened to find one of those IT oddities that was on the "wrong" end of the spectrum.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Calling them “SkyPesos” is deeply offensive to Pesos. SkyMiles are to Pesos what Salmon Roe is to Beluga Caviar.
DrAlex and DiverDave like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by flying_gibbon
Yes but for every ridiculous expensive redemption, you can also find ridiculously long-haul flights that cost less than a domestic ticket. It all comes down to IT algorithms, and no airline has it perfect - you can find weird pricing that both benefits and hurts the consumer. It's a little over-reactive to write off an entire airline because you happened to find one of those IT oddities that was on the "wrong" end of the spectrum.
I'm not completely certain it's a 1:1 ratio on expensive:cheap... But, I'm not a DL SkyPeso redemption guru - kudos to those who find that much value in the currency! I simply won't travel on DL unless I have to due to the incredible devaluation of their currency that has occurred on routes that I frequently fly. Not having an award chart has benefited a few individuals, but I would hypothesize that it has been detrimental to most casual users - myself included.
TheHorta and Zeeb like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Fly into LAX, tons of options for 95k miles OW on KE's A380 for those dates.

Also can fly BKK-PVG-LAX with PVG-LAX on the Delta A350 in J for ~$2k cash.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:36 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Renes Points

Touchè, Rene!!!!

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What does aa.com show you? I'll answer that for you: Nothing, because neither Cathay Pacific nor JAL award search is supported.
Not sure where this came from....

But I already know this; I use Qantas and BA.com to show me long-haul OW awards.

Originally Posted by hi55us
Fly into LAX, tons of options for 95k miles OW on KE's A380 for those dates.
I saw that and have considered that.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Calling them “SkyPesos” is deeply offensive to Pesos. SkyMiles are to Pesos what Salmon Roe is to Beluga Caviar.
SkyPengo is probably more apt at this point.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If somebody offers you $1 for your house does that set the price?

Miles are worth what you can get for them, not the worst deal offered. One can easily fly BKK<>LAX in C for 175SMs and walk to Phoenix. Maybe not the best deal, but not bad.

OTOH, if OP and others want to donate miles SMs to DAL (the stock symbol, as I mean the company), that is their choice.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If somebody offers you $1 for your house does that set the price?
It does if you confine your choice of listing agents to a brokerage that insists your house is worth $1...

...and insists you be happy with your $0.94, like they did you a favor.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I saw 900,000 for either PHX or LAX to Sydney in D1. That isn't even a crazy routing like some of the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.