Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just found the absolute worst mileage redemption...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just found the absolute worst mileage redemption...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flying_gibbon
Yes but for every ridiculous expensive redemption, you can also find ridiculously long-haul flights that cost less than a domestic ticket. It all comes down to IT algorithms, and no airline has it perfect - you can find weird pricing that both benefits and hurts the consumer. It's a little over-reactive to write off an entire airline because you happened to find one of those IT oddities that was on the "wrong" end of the spectrum.
+1. As someone else said, probably not a 1:1, but there are plenty of perfectly acceptable if not excellent redemption on DL. Nobody on FT (or not on FT) is going to actually redeem a million miles for one of these convoluted routes on what is probably an additive fare calculation, primarily because a) not many people have that many miles and b) not many people are searching for those convoluted routes and c) the intersection of a and b has got to be miniscule.

There is still reasonable value on lots of routes. Some of them are *gasp* domestic coach, but you also have to remember who accounts for the vast majority of customers on a US-based airline. The 2-3x/year pax who always just buy the cheapest fare are overjoyed that they can now get a free ATL-TPA RT ticket once every two years.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Post the extract from the fare rules, with fare breaks (BKK-SEL and SEL-PHX for this) and the redemption fare codes. Maybe LBJ will explain the construction.

You note you have already found a way to avoid it. That's probably a single fare component BKK-PHX.

What does aa.com show you? I'll answer that for you: Nothing, because neither Cathay Pacific nor JAL award search is supported.
I'm sure it's 375k Super Peak J ICN-DTW-PHX combined with 40k for BKK-ICN. The odd thing is you should be able to get J for BKK-ICN at 40k. Interesting that it booked into Economy and is still 40k extra.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If considering a mileage redemption, I always compare the mileage redemption rate to the Pay-With-Miles rate so I can still get MQMs. Booked a trip for 30,000 Miles and $0.60 to MSY from SEA for earlier this year that was $300.60 as a revenue ticket that as a pure mileage redemption would have been 35,000-40,000 Miles (so less than $0.01/mile and I would have had to pay the $12 in taxes round trip ).

Recently helped my parents book tickets to Hawaii. They wanted to use miles. SEA-HNL was 55,000 miles for a straight redemption one-way in FC. Before they booked I checked the revenue fare. $580 one way in FC. Told them to use the same 55,000 miles towards Pay-With-Miles and then get about 4,000 MQMs for $30 instead of 0 MQMs for 55,000 miles and $5 in taxes just on the straight redemption. (They both have status so getting the MQMs is beneficial to them).
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
PHL to MCO, late April: 306,000 RT in FC

Yes, that was the extreme option. Other itineraries were lower.

But, I could book PHL to PVG in D1 in that time frame for 190,000 miles.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
First, what is up with DL charging double/triple/+++ just for their stupid A350 suites? Is anyone seriously redeeming their SkyMiles for these flights????
The whole "premium" price for the A350 suite has me puzzled - like when back in 2017 Delta planned to add on a surcharge for tickets booked in the Delta One Suite to/from Seoul Incheon. I don't understand who Delta thinks is willing to pay a rather large price difference for a product that to most people is indiscernible.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Calling them “SkyPesos” is deeply offensive to Pesos. SkyMiles are to Pesos what Salmon Roe is to Beluga Caviar.
Where do fish sticks fit in the rankings?

Originally Posted by hi55us
Also can fly BKK-PVG-LAX with PVG-LAX on the Delta A350 in J for ~$2k cash.
Plus, just think of the Skymiles you'll earn on that flight!

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Miles are worth what you can get for them, not the worst deal offered. One can easily fly BKK<>LAX in C for 175SMs and walk to Phoenix.
"In local news, a man was found dead in the Mojave. It turns out he didn't have enough Skymiles to get himself all the way to PHX. He was found with only a boarding pass, his carry-on, and the clothes on his back."​​​​​​​

On a more serious note, I'm not a DL guy...I have like 15,000 miles and that's only because Airbnb is a partner so I might as well get the miles and because I had 1 flight I credited there from MU. I'm not exactly bothered by the ridiculous redemptions, because I suppose the alternative is "no space available" which is just as egregious. But at least this way they're saying "hey, the option is there if you REALLY want it", much like buying a super pricey fare last minute on a flight that's already oversold. But is there value still in Skymiles? I can't imagine you guys are all still collecting miles despite it being futile. My biggest issue with the program, and I don't know all the rules, was when they took away the award chart.

I looked at a YVR-SVO trip once just because and was mystified by the disparity in the prices. It also kinda burned me up that I couldn't get the route I wanted despite being able to find the leg-by-leg flights individually.

Last edited by drvannostren; Mar 20, 2018 at 11:19 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
The whole "premium" price for the A350 suite has me puzzled - like when back in 2017 Delta planned to add on a surcharge for tickets booked in the Delta One Suite to/from Seoul Incheon. I don't understand who Delta thinks is willing to pay a rather large price difference for a product that to most people is indiscernible.
This is what got me all wound up in posting this thread.

I don't understand how they think they can charge double and more just for their suites. I don't know anyone who would pay THAT much extra for the product.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
I'm sure it's 375k Super Peak J ICN-DTW-PHX combined with 40k for BKK-ICN. The odd thing is you should be able to get J for BKK-ICN at 40k. Interesting that it booked into Economy and is still 40k extra.
Yep, if you check the fare rules, you'll see it's just a broken fare with a CSM400 fare on BKK-SEL and CSY3750 on SEL-PHX. Normally, the CSM400 books into J, but it appears there's no J availability on the BKK-ICN flight for this date. Looks like all the BKK-US J awards through DTW and ATL on DL metal book as broken fare awards. You can get through award fares with SEA routings or with partner awards. Not really A350 related as PVG-ATL routings on the 777 (which will not have suites when they start) also price as broken fares. The PVG-ATL flights currently only have two award levels loaded, CBS2000 (200K) and CSY2400 (240K). ICN-DTW/ATL, NRT-DTW currently appear to have 4 levels from 170K to 375K, except I'm seeing a last minute 94K award available for NRT-DTW today. Not all A350 routes start at 170K as I'm seeing 94K and 125K levels on DTW-PEK.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gooselee

There is still reasonable value on lots of routes. Some of them are *gasp* domestic coach
Domestic coach on relatively short notice sometimes can be a very solid value, especially for us kettles who would be charged a close in award booking fee with the competition. My most recent award redemption was a 27.5k domestic round trip booked a week out when the cash price for those same specific flights (it was a situation with specific time requirements if the trip was going to work) was close to $600

Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just as bad as DL offering these redemptions is some people actual pay that...
Renes Points likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.