History of Delta operations at DCA?

Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
History of Delta operations at DCA?

I am new to Delta, so did not have too much knowledge about Delta's history. Recently I fly out of DCA a lot, and noticed that Delta has quite a few flights to non-hub destinations from DCA, such as Omaha, Lexington, RDU, Madison. Can anyone tell me why these flights exist at all? I do not remember seeing so many spoke-to-spoke Delta flights in other airports.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by lixiaojuventus; Mar 13, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I am new to Delta, did not have too much knowledge about Delta's history. Recently I fly out of DCA a lot, and noticed that Delta has quite a few flights to non-hub destinations from DCA, such as Omaha, Lexington, RDU, Madison. Can anyone tell me why these flights exist at all? I do not remember seeing so many spoke-to-spoke Delta flights in other airports.
Don't forget MCO and MIA (although very infrequent)! Delta used to have a lot more routes to other non-hub cities before the DCA/LGA slot swap with US Airways a few years ago. I could be wrong, but I think these random routes cannot be changed (meaning DCA-LEX can't be changed to DCA-DTW, so if Delta doesn't want to fly the route anymore they give it up to another airline).

I moved to DC from NYC a few years ago and the transition hasn't been that bad, however most of my flights are non-stop to Delta hubs (SLC and LAX) or would require a stop from anywhere in the US.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
DL use to have a focus city in DCA and had the entire pier to the themself as well as 1 or 2 of the gates in the UA pier but that ended back in 2012 with the LGA US slot swap. DL ended all non hub routes but in 2014, F9 (operated by YX) dropped DCA-MSN/OMA and YX decided to have DL connection operated it(the destinations of the slots cannot change). I’m not sure how the LEX flight started but I believe YX was given another “limited slot” for LEX service in 2014 and choose DL to operate the route. DL also added Saturday only MCO/MIA service last year using spare slots not used on Saturday but it seems to only run during peak months like March and July-August.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Anyone remember when DL had those 3 gates in the now (soon to be demolished) MWAA hanger? It was 757's basically all day operating out of those gates.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Another example is that there is one flight a day to and from Lexington, Kentucky (its the only nonstop to LEX in Virginia) that flies out DCA in the evening and flies out of LEX early morning. Perfect for a certain Senate Majority leader's schedule
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Anyone remember when DL had those 3 gates in the now (soon to be demolished) MWAA hanger? It was 757's basically all day operating out of those gates.
I think they just finished knocking it down but I believe DL had these gates back from 1990-1997 as DL was in the old north terminal along with US and were moved there while the current B/C Terminal was being constructed.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

I think they just finished knocking it down but I believe DL had these gates back from 1990-1997 as DL was in the old north terminal along with US and were moved there while the current B/C Terminal was being constructed.
Yep and Pan Am was in the old North Terminal too........that terminal basically was at ground level if memory serves me right. Arrivals waiting area had those chairs with the "TV's" too LOL. Good times!

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 13, 2018 at 1:54 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Miesque
Another example is that there is one flight a day to and from Lexington, Kentucky (its the only nonstop to LEX in Virginia) that flies out DCA in the evening and flies out of LEX early morning. Perfect for a certain Senate Majority leader's schedule
Doesn't he live in Louisville? Why would he be flying to Lexington?

I've done DCA-LEX a few times and it's always been an easy upgrade.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the reply! Very interesting reads!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Doesn't he live in Louisville? Why would he be flying to Lexington?

I've done DCA-LEX a few times and it's always been an easy upgrade.
Sorry for some reason I thought he was in the Lexington area. I actually just booked a DCA -SDF flight yesterday (which is non-stop on American)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NW used to operate DCA-IND/DSM/MKE/MSN/GRR/LAN in addition to the hubs. The current MSN flight may be a NW holdover. Here's a recent article on the DCA terminal A "banjo" that was built by NW and TWA in 1970. Still remember the pre-security NW WorldClub there.

https://ggwash.org/view/66256/buildi...tional-airport
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Miesque
Sorry for some reason I thought he was in the Lexington area. I actually just booked a DCA -SDF flight yesterday (which is non-stop on American)
The flight does serve Rand Paul and surrounding House members.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
NW used to operate DCA-IND/DSM/MKE/MSN/GRR/LAN in addition to the hubs. The current MSN flight may be a NW holdover. Here's a recent article on the DCA terminal A "banjo" that was built by NW and TWA in 1970. Still remember the pre-security NW WorldClub there.

https://ggwash.org/view/66256/buildi...tional-airport
Wow, a very interesting article! Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL is very much committed to DCA, and I'd bet that it's the most profitable outstation. Near-hourly A321s, D1 757, and a new SC. If more slots get dolled out I think DL deserves to get a few. They're in the best spot to provide additional competition.
AANYC1981, MCO Flyer and SDQBound like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
DL is very much committed to DCA, and I'd bet that it's the most profitable outstation. Near-hourly A321s, D1 757, and a new SC. If more slots get dolled out I think DL deserves to get a few. They're in the best spot to provide additional competition.
I agree 100%. I think DL deserves a few more slots at DCA. I could see BOS and MCO could be added if additional slots are awarded and additionally frequency on additional routes. Remember that DL had a profitable focus city in DCA and they gave it up as the offer with US for LGA slots was a no brainer for DL. DL still very much cares about DCA and DL had a bunch of ads around DC (Metro, Union Station, Nats Stadium) recently and DL dosen't typically advertise heavily in non-hub or focus city markets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.