Wiki Posts
Search

"Sold out" does not mean sold out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM FC 3MM, AA Platinum, UA 1K
"Sold out" does not mean sold out

Forgive me if this has been covered before.
So I fly pretty much only First and my base is SRQ. This year, I started noticing that First was showing "sold out" on MANY dates and destinations. For example, on a trip from LAX to SRQ on April 13, 11 out of 14 flights indicated "sold out" in First. But when I looked at the individual segments, ALL of the flights were available in First. Revenue Management is of course the culprit, but I don't see that booking the individual segments is really more expensive. So why are they doing this? (Revenue, obviously, duh) My risk booking individual segments is, of course, if the first flight is delayed, I'm screwed on missing the second flight. Conversations with DL were not satisfactory. In fact, they were infuriating. Everyone you talk to says the "revenue management" folks are Gods, to hell with customer experience.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by SiestaMan; Mar 9, 2018 at 5:41 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:55 pm

If you found that the individual legs are comparable to the point to point fare, have you tried booking it as a multi-city (rather than a round trip) and select each leg that you want? If that's possible, then it would still be a single PNR.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Married segments in First only. I have seen the same thing the last month or so on PVD-SNA and even some BOS-SNA. You just can't buy it in First without separate tickets. No thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Haven't tried multicity on these. Will try next time but price will likely be much higher than other routings which is likely the whole point as Delta is protecting O&D between SNA and ATL.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’m seeing the same thing trying to book ANC-ECP many months out in F. I have an upcoming trip in May in F on the same route that I booked last summer. It even shows “Sold Out” as well. Glad I booked it when I did!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta thinks they'll make more money selling F SRQ-ATL-XXX or YYY-ATL-LAX vs. SRQ-ATL-LAX. You're not going to change their thinking on this. They've got two decades of playing with married segments. You're right, separate tickets are a poor idea. Multi-city might work, at a premium.

Look at flying out of TPA. Look at another airline.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM FC 3MM, AA Platinum, UA 1K
Originally Posted by BravoZulu
If you found that the individual legs are comparable to the point to point fare, have you tried booking it as a multi-city (rather than a round trip) and select each leg that you want? If that's possible, then it would still be a single PNR.
Nope, the multi-city approach didn't work. And the fares quoted were astronomical, and didn't even include the flights I wanted.
For the time being, I'm booking separate segments and hoping for successful connections. If one fails, I'll try and escalate - I'm sure to no luck.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SiestaMan
Nope, the multi-city approach didn't work. And the fares quoted were astronomical, and didn't even include the flights I wanted.
For the time being, I'm booking separate segments and hoping for successful connections. If one fails, I'll try and escalate - I'm sure to no luck.
As long as all tickets are DL you should be protected in IROPS. You’ll even be able to check luggage across multiple tickets if need be (you could check bags SRQ-ATL-LAX even if SRQ-ATL and ATL-LAX are on separate tickets).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It's pretty nuts that they will just not sell F. You'd think it would make sense to just price it accordingly. They might get people to bite.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Any luck trying to book this with Google flights or something like Expedia? Sometimes they have access to routings that Delta . com doesn’t have.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's pretty nuts that they will just not sell F. You'd think it would make sense to just price it accordingly. They might get people to bite.
Agreed. To me this looks like an outright failure by RM with broken fares. Price above what you think you can get from other products (routes) and, worst case, no one buys them, best case, you end up making more than expected from alternative routes. I'm very disappointed by the response of Delta reservation agents to this problem. This should be escalated and fixed.

Agree that two separate tickets is probably the way to go. Since they are both on Delta, they will likely cover you in IRROPS anyways, especially with a paid F ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I saw this last week with flights between MEM-SFO and v/v. I was still able to SDC to a routing that was showing "sold out".
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen this on several routes as well. Pretty frustrating when you actually want to buy a first class ticket but can't. Oh and then it shows up available for miles also but not for cash. And you can buy the coach ticket and check your itin later and you'll probably see the 'buy up' offer for each segment to F.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If multicity doesn't work, a good real live human travel agent might be able to put the segments you want together on a ticket with broken fares, assuming that the fare rules don't forbid this.

Otherwise, multicity now seems to refuse to show itineraries where the time for connections (four dhours domestic, twenty-four hours international) isn't exceeded. Every airport you list separately needs to be a genuine stopover and not just a "connection" in order to use separate fare components.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If multicity doesn't work, a good real live human travel agent might be able to put the segments you want together on a ticket with broken fares, assuming that the fare rules don't forbid this.

Otherwise, multicity now seems to refuse to show itineraries where the time for connections (four dhours domestic, twenty-four hours international) isn't exceeded. Every airport you list separately needs to be a genuine stopover and not just a "connection" in order to use separate fare components.
The TA will likely have the same issues, but if they are successful selling something Delta does not want done, the TA is subject to a debit memo for the fare difference and a "fine" for doing it. I doubt they would risk it.
They are bound by the rules of married segment logic and Delta audits each and every ticket they issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.