Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using GUC via DM Line on Partner Airline Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Any specific strategies for doing this? Because of MQD being distance based I'd prefer to book on partner airlines and using GUC on them. Short backstory my wife and I are going to Europe for our 10yr anniversary. There are specific planes I would like to fly and can fly from literally anywhere in US to almost anywhere in Europe. Just want to fly specific planes. I also have a 3 week 'opening' of when I can come/go.

What I'd like to do is use the DM line to bounce ideas and see if instant GUC Clearance is available. If so could I think in theory book directly with Air France, KLM or whoever and then Delta DM line can apply the GUC Live?

Or... is this a huge waste of time and just call and fly Delta metal? Or book via Delta on partner airline?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
The fare buckets required for partner marketed flights are probably going to make this a losing proposition.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, KLM marketed flights must be Y/B/M and AF marketed must be Y/B/M/W (W is full fare Premium Economy on AF).
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
There are specific planes I would like to fly and can fly from literally anywhere in US to almost anywhere in Europe. Just want to fly specific planes. I also have a 3 week 'opening' of when I can come/go.
If you can specify routes and the date range to agents and ask them to look for availability to confirm GUC immediately, they will play, IME.

Don't ask them to find where 77Ls and A350s fly. Literally anywhere in the U.S. to almost anywhere in Europe is not an adequately bounded request.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yep, KLM marketed flights must be Y/B/M and AF marketed must be Y/B/M/W (W is full fare Premium Economy on AF).
Here's the following terms from Delta's website when it comes to fare classes...
  1. Applicable Fare Classes: Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines or certain Delta Connection operated flights on published retail fares booked in P, A, G, W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and upgrade into RY/OY class. Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares including those booked in E class, or Award Tickets. For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated, KLM-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on AF flights this certificate may be used to upgrade only on published fares in Y, B, M or W class. Y, B, M fares upgrade into A class (Premium Voyageur class) and W fares upgrade to O class (Affaires or Business Class). For travel on Aeromexico operated, Delta marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta`s published fares booked in W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Aeromexico`s O class. Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class.
With that being said, it is easiest to book directly on DL metal and then the next easiest would probably be KLM. With a 3 week window you'll obviously be limited there however I think your approach is a good one; just give the DM line a call, tell them you're flexible with that 3 week window, and then see what cities work. Hope this helps!

OPS
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:37 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
If you book a DL-marketed (DL flight numbers), KL-operated flight, it will be eligible for global upgrades on all fare classes other than Basic Economy (E). KL flight numbers require expensive fare classes.

Air France is not worth looking at -- requires expensive fare classes and on most planes only upgrades from coach to premium economy anyway.

If you're interested in the KLM option, if you sign up for a paid ExpertFlyer account you can search for KLM availability on there. Useful since many agents aren't familiar with booking KLM upgrades, and they have no way to search "go anywhere in Europe" easily anyway.

To search Delta availability you have to talk to Delta. You can also ping them on Twitter.

Using Global Upgrades on Virgin Atlantic is also an option, though only really practical if going just to London.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you can specify routes and the date range to agents and ask them to look for availability to confirm GUC immediately, they will play, IME.

Don't ask them to find where 77Ls and A350s fly. Literally anywhere in the U.S. to almost anywhere in Europe is not an adequately bounded request.
Yes that is my plan. I have compiled possibilities for instance Orlando to London has a 747 Virgin. So I have a list of things that are known routes. I assumed at least doing that as no agent is going to help with "Fly me to Europe from anywhere in US on a 747, 787 or A380".

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you book a DL-marketed (DL flight numbers), KL-operated flight, it will be eligible for global upgrades on all fare classes other than Basic Economy (E). KL flight numbers require expensive fare classes.

Air France is not worth looking at -- requires expensive fare classes and on most planes only upgrades from coach to premium economy anyway.

If you're interested in the KLM option, if you sign up for a paid ExpertFlyer account you can search for KLM availability on there. Useful since many agents aren't familiar with booking KLM upgrades, and they have no way to search "go anywhere in Europe" easily anyway.

To search Delta availability you have to talk to Delta. You can also ping them on Twitter.

Using Global Upgrades on Virgin Atlantic is also an option, though only really practical if going just to London.
Thank you for the detailed info. KLM shows for sure open 'upgrades'?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
My recommendation is:
1. Find an itinerary that shows KLM and Delta Z fares (lowest fare in Business), not I, D, C or J.
2. Call up Delta and hope for a knowledgeable agent. Tell the agent that you would like to upgrade with a GUC into Z class on a KLM flight.
3. After issue and re-issue of your ticket you will have a booking in Z class with KLM flight numbers, on 006 stock.
This has worked for me for several years, but some agents will tell you flat out that there is no availability and that it cannot be done. If so, then HUCA. No ExpertFlyer account needed,
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Yes that is my plan. I have compiled possibilities for instance Orlando to London has a 747 Virgin. So I have a list of things that are known routes. I assumed at least doing that as no agent is going to help with "Fly me to Europe from anywhere in US on a 747, 787 or A380".
Note that for Virgin Atlantic upgrades the required fare class is G, the same as they use for award bookings into Upper Class (business class). So if you don't see the option to use your miles on Delta.com for the flight you're targeting, most likely it's also not available for an upgrade.

And Virgin's remaining 744s are in a small-premium-cabin configuration because they only serve leisure markets, so Upper Class awards and upgrades are going to be on the rare side on those flights.

Plus, it's somewhat minor, but the Orlando flight (and all other remaining 744 flights) go into LGW, not LHR, which means you would miss out on the chance to try Virgin's highly regarded Heathrow Clubhouse lounge, considered one of the best lounges (and perhaps the very best business class lounge) in the world. If you're really keen to fly the 744 I guess you could look for a routing like MCO-LGW, LHR-ATL, but unlike with award tickets where that can be pieced together, you may have to pay a premium to book the underlying cash coach ticket to be upgraded for such a routing.

If 744 is a priority, KLM is probably your best choice, though if you're booking more than a couple of months in advance there's a risk that the aircraft would be swapped on you before you fly.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Months in advance booking because it's weeks in Europe. Need to lock in the the going/coming. Intra europe not too worried about.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by PHXflier
My recommendation is:
1. Find an itinerary that shows KLM and Delta Z fares (lowest fare in Business), not I, D, C or J.
2. Call up Delta and hope for a knowledgeable agent. Tell the agent that you would like to upgrade with a GUC into Z class on a KLM flight.
3. After issue and re-issue of your ticket you will have a booking in Z class with KLM flight numbers, on 006 stock.
This has worked for me for several years, but some agents will tell you flat out that there is no availability and that it cannot be done. If so, then HUCA. No ExpertFlyer account needed,
Does this earn MQD as DL or KL flight? If KL this is an amazing plan and I might change a flight based on this.l
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:27 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by KingBraden
Does this earn MQD as DL or KL flight? If KL this is an amazing plan and I might change a flight based on this.l
The experience has been that GUC’ed KL flights, which are always rebooked as KL-marketed as part of the upgrade, generally earn miles, MQMs, and MQDs as KL flights, which is all beneficial. That is not what the rules intend of course, so it’s always possible that could change.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
What about for KL flights that don't fly out or to the US? For example, I have been trying to find out if I can book a DL-marketed GRU-AMS (Sao Paulo to AMS) and use a GUC to upgrade, but found no luck in obtaining the answer to this.

Last edited by imsuchaluckass; Mar 10, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by imsuchaluckass
What about for KL flights that don't fly out or to the US? For example, I have been trying to find out if I can book a DL-marketed GRU-AMS (Sao Paulo to AMS) and use a GUC to upgrade, but found no luck in obtaining the answer to this.
You can use the cert for any KL flight worldwide per terms, and you shouldn’t have a problem using it for a KL marketed flight in Y B or M.

You also can use it for any DL marketed flight in most fare classes, but I do not believe DL puts it’s code on KL flight that do not originate in the US or Canada (other flights are codeshared beyond AMS, but only bookable in conjunction with a US or Canada flight.

I don’t see the GRU flight sold as a codeshare.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:09 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by imsuchaluckass
I’m pretty sure Delta doesn’t sell DL-marketed flight numbers on that flight, so the only way you could do it is if you bought an expensive YBM fare on a KL flight number.

Similarly Delta won’t sell you DL flight numbers on KLM flights to Southeast Asia even though for example JFK-AMS-SIN is actually a fairly direct routing.

Generally KLM upgrades on cheap tickets are only possibly between the US (and possibly Canada?) and Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.