Zone 4!

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Zone 4!

Boarded a flight tonight and while I was boarding, they announced boarding for Zone 4. Haven't heard that in a while. Is it new??
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Boarded a flight tonight and while I was boarding, they announced boarding for Zone 4. Haven't heard that in a while. Is it new??
Yep, as of last month, Zone 4 is back. Mainly for E fares.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Yeap. Zone 4 is now basic economy.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I still dont see Zone 4 listed on the GIDS or any airports that have pillars dont yet have a Zone 4 pillar. Any idea when that will change?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Though Zone 4 is really Zone 7, but who's counting?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by EditingFX
Though Zone 4 is really Zone 7, but who's counting?
Zone I - Pre-Board
Zone II - First Class
Zone III - Sky
Zone IV - Zone 1
Zone V - Zone 2
Zone VI - Zone 3
Zone VII - Zone 4
bgriff, sdadept and tvnwz like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So do they just make everyone check their carry on bags in Zone 4? No way there is any overhead space by then, unless there are lots of open seats.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by rylan
So do they just make everyone check their carry on bags in Zone 4? No way there is any overhead space by then, unless there are lots of open seats.
My last flight on a full CRJ900 had an interesting situation with the BE passengers. There was a large church group (30+) going on a mission (all on BE fares). They each carried baggage (full of mission supplies) that would clearly not fit in the bins; knowing full well that the baggage would be checked at the gate. The trip planner told me they checked ahead to find the largest size bags that would be allowed through security.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Zone II = PREM, FC (or business class) and DM, not just FC.
universitylad likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by RRDD

My last flight on a full CRJ900 had an interesting situation with the BE passengers. There was a large church group (30+) going on a mission (all on BE fares). They each carried baggage (full of mission supplies) that would clearly not fit in the bins; knowing full well that the baggage would be checked at the gate. The trip planner told me they checked ahead to find the largest size bags that would be allowed through security.
sneaky
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:10 am

Another zone I heard recently, though I didn’t catch where in the boarding process it was, but Delta was offering earlier boarding to those who were willing to gate check their carry-on baggage
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This is interesting. Just found this on delta.com. I had no idea that Main Cabin boarding zones were divided by fare class, and that T, X and V come after higher ones, and that this is in addition to zone 4 BE boarding. I assumed that after Zone 1 it was done back to front of plane. This link says:

Zone 2: Main Cabin Passengers

Zone 3: Main Cabin Passengers booked in T, X and V fares

Zone 4: Basic Economy Passengers (E)
bgriff likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:49 am

While there are no pillars for zone 4 boarding, I have heard the gate agent state that they were going to start the boarding momentarily and those in zones 1-3 could line up behind the columns and those in zone 4 should stay seated and they would board later.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is interesting. Just found this on delta.com. I had no idea that Main Cabin boarding zones were divided by fare class, and that T, X and V come after higher ones, and that this is in addition to zone 4 BE boarding. I assumed that after Zone 1 it was done back to front of plane. This link says:

Zone 2: Main Cabin Passengers

Zone 3: Main Cabin Passengers booked in T, X and V fares

Zone 4: Basic Economy Passengers (E)
Would you prefer that the GA announce that everyone with a sLUT fare and lower is zone 3?

DL needs to divide those without status traveling on coach fares that aren't BE into more than one zone, so using fare class seems very reasonable.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would you prefer that the GA announce that everyone with a sLUT fare and lower is zone 3?

DL needs to divide those without status traveling on coach fares that aren't BE into more than one zone, so using fare class seems very reasonable.

My post was not a critique, just an observation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.