Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit in Toronto (YYZ)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dcadwell
So, if I read that Connecting Guide correctly (and, am traveling without checked bags) doing an itinerary like ATL-YVR-DTW/MSP-NRT (all on DL metal) it looks like I'd be able to bypass Canadian Customs. Interesting. Didn't think that to be the case!
Does DL fly ATL YVR?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
So, if I read that Connecting Guide correctly (and, am traveling without checked bags) doing an itinerary like ATL-YVR-DTW/MSP-NRT (all on DL metal) it looks like I'd be able to bypass Canadian Customs. Interesting. Didn't think that to be the case!
Assuming ATL-YYZ-DTW, the website says that you have to go through Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). And that is my experience.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fromYXU

Assuming ATL-YYZ-DTW, the website says that you have to go through Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). And that is my experience.
You would pass CBSA immigration/customs, then exit into arrivals hall, T3 at the far international end.
You then head to the other end and one level up for US departures.
Line up for CATSA security.
After security head to US CBP immigration to US departure area.
This is for DL to DL US to US at T3 YYZ.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've positioned to Toronto several times in the last year because the airfares are so cheap. Sometimes, I skip the final DTW-YYZ segment.

In my experience, the U.S. Customs and Immigration check is longer than the arrival check with the Canadians. It's often taken 25-30 minutes to get through the U.S. checkpoint.

Canadian customs and immigration is a little more difficult than it used to be. In the old days, the border agents working weekends at the tunnel and bridge checkpoints in Windsor were university students.

Also, I find the Canadian security checkpoint to be a pain in the butt. The staff are actually worse than TSA, in my experience.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
​​​​​...
Canadian customs and immigration is a little more difficult than it used to be. In the old days, the border agents working weekends at the tunnel and bridge checkpoints in Windsor were university students.

Also, I find the Canadian security checkpoint to be a pain in the butt. The staff are actually worse than TSA, in my experience.
CBSA still hire part time agents but there is a lot less leeway regarding discretionary decisions.

CATSA is why Canadiens never complain about TSA.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
tentseller
Sorry to revive an old thread. Has anything changed with this? I am based in YYZ and know T3 but since its home never have to worry about baggage transfer. I am coming home from an international trip in a few months and have a 4 hour layover before continueing onto my next trip YYZ-LGA on AC. The AC segment is booked on my original ticket. Will DL transfer the bag to AC or do I still need to collect in baggage claim and drop it off post customs or even take it over to T1 myself?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Utskicat
tentseller
Sorry to revive an old thread. Has anything changed with this? I am based in YYZ and know T3 but since its home never have to worry about baggage transfer. I am coming home from an international trip in a few months and have a 4 hour layover before continueing onto my next trip YYZ-LGA on AC. The AC segment is booked on my original ticket. Will DL transfer the bag to AC or do I still need to collect in baggage claim and drop it off post customs or even take it over to T1 myself?
They'll tag it, but you must collect and bring over to T1 and drop it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.