Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit in Toronto (YYZ)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver;UA Silver;SPG/MR Plat Elite;Hertz PC
Question Transferring/Transit in Toronto (YYZ)

Hello,
I am ( DTW-YYZ-AMS-BLR) transiting in Toronto final destination to Amsterdam. I have 90 min layover in Toronto. I have checked bags, traveling with kids. Is that time sufficient for transit ? Also are bags checked directly checked to final destination. In Toronto flight operated by Jet Airways.

Thanks,
Dinkuu

Last edited by Dinkuu; Feb 25, 2018 at 7:50 pm Reason: :-)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Is it all on the same ticket/itinerary? I haven't done intl-intl transit in YYZ before but that is the first question people will ask.

Also, I've never heard of checking kids but sounds like a great idea!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
90 minutes can be very tight depending on time of day. It has taken me close to 90 minutes to enter Canada on some busy days. According to the Pearson airport website you’ll need to clear customs, reclaim bags, and recheck them. The good news is that Jet and Delta are in the same terminal, so that will be much less walking than in other circumstances.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:08 pm

You should be able to bypass clearing Canada Customs if you are not entering Canada but merely connecting internationally.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You should be able to bypass clearing Canada Customs if you are not entering Canada but merely connecting internationally.
I thought so too, but according to the airport website link above, the passenger will need to enter Canada and claim baggage, then re-check. Not good news on a 90 minute connection.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I thought so too, but according to the airport website link above, the passenger will need to enter Canada and claim baggage, then re-check. Not good news on a 90 minute connection.
Not at YYZ T3, which does not have any real estate to implement bypassing CBSA on Int'l arrival and transiting to Int'l departure.

90 minutes with kids and checked bags IMHO is too short. It is usually quite a walk from DL CRJ YYZ arrival just to CBSA immigration.
​​​​
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Dinkuu
Hello,
I am ( DTW-YYZ-AMS-BLR) transiting in Toronto final destination to Amsterdam. I have 90 min layover in Toronto. I have checked bags, traveling with kids. Is that time sufficient for transit ? Also are bags checked directly checked to final destination. In Toronto flight operated by Jet Airways.

Thanks,
Dinkuu
Originally Posted by tentseller
Not at YYZ T3, which does not have any real estate to implement bypassing CBSA on Int'l arrival and transiting to Int'l departure.

90 minutes with kids and checked bags IMHO is too short. It is usually quite a walk from DL CRJ YYZ arrival just to CBSA immigration.
​​​​
I would absolutely NOT do int'l-int'l at YYZ in 90 minutes. 90 minutes is probably the absolute minimum time it would take to clear immigration, collect baggage, recheck it, clear security and then get to the connecting gate in the absolute best of circumstances. On my last DTW-YYZ trip I spent at least 90 minutes just walking from the gates to immigration (it is a LONG walk), waiting at immigration and then waiting for my bag and YYZ was my final destination. If I had to recheck bags, go back through security and make a connecting flight, no way. It is doable, but it will take a lot of luck and a lot of stress.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Agree in that this is a bad idea. And honestly, I highly doubt this was sold by the airline. I can’t get it to show as 90-min in EF. MCT looks likes it 2 hours.

I lived in YYZ for many years. Even terminating there as a Canadian citizen has taken me an hour sometimes to just out of of Customs. Add to that having to go back upstairs to recheck (either with Jet or KL), 90 minutes is a problem waiting to happen.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Unlike Vancouver, Toronto has no method not to clear into Canada. In fact international and domestic flights share the same gates nowadays. Thus this isn't realistic.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unlike Vancouver, Toronto has no method not to clear into Canada. In fact international and domestic flights share the same gates nowadays. Thus this isn't realistic.
Correction:
​​​​​​Int'l to Int'l transit bypassing CBSA immigration is possible at YYZ T1.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:09 am

YYZ T1 arriving on Air Canada/Star Alliance allows one to bypass Canadian Customs if not entering Canada but T3 does not offer this feature unfortunately.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

UPDATE - Talked with Delta they say luggage is direct check-in and no need to re-check in Toronto, So I need to go through customs in Toronto. Also Talked with Toronto customs (905-676-3640) they said same thing . Hopefully everything will workout.

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Agree in that this is a bad idea. And honestly, I highly doubt this was sold by the airline. I can’t get it to show as 90-min in EF. MCT looks likes it 2 hours.
i purchased this from delta.com.

Last edited by Dinkuu; Feb 26, 2018 at 7:54 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

YYZ T1 arriving on Air Canada/Star Alliance allows one to bypass Canadian Customs if not entering Canada but T3 does not offer this feature unfortunately.
This is all happening due to US to Canada is almost treated like Domestic travel by airlines. They just do passport check in USA airports.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Dinkuu
UPDATE - Talked with Delta they say luggage is direct check-in and no need to re-check in Toronto, So I need to go through customs in Toronto. Also Talked with Toronto customs (905-676-3640) they said same thing . Hopefully everything will workout.

i purchased this from delta.com.
You might want to get some clarification because while you might not need to recheck, I do believe you will still need to collect your bag at baggage claim in T3 and then drop it back off. Whether you drop it back off downstairs or upstairs I do not know as I've never done it before, but I don't know how you can avoid collecting your bag at baggage claim at YYZ T3.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW

I lived in YYZ for many years. Even terminating there as a Canadian citizen has taken me an hour sometimes to just out of of Customs. Add to that having to go back upstairs to recheck (either with Jet or KL), 90 minutes is a problem waiting to happen.
EF says MCT is 75 minutes --
**-** II 1.15 TRM 3 - 3 UNITED STATES - ALL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.