Good Question, Doc...

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,851
Good Question, Doc...

Taking an online course in "Airport Management" , and look at what pops up as a question on our latest quiz:




I'm thinking I should email the professor and explain that we call those "enhancements" and that over at UA they call them, "changes you're going to like."
sky303 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,374
Dumb, subjective question.
davie355 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:21 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,851
Originally Posted by davie355
Dumb, subjective question.
Hence my rolleyes at the entire class concept!
sky303 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:46 am
  #4  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Wouldn't that question be more suited to a course in Airline Mgt, vs Airport Mgt???
dmarge18 likes this.
davetravels is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:33 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,472
Originally Posted by sky303
Taking an online course in "Airport Management" , and look at what pops up as a question on our latest quiz:




I'm thinking I should email the professor and explain that we call those "enhancements" and that over at UA they call them, "changes you're going to like."
Why is this airport management? Airport employees have nothing to do with FF program decisions.

BTW, the answers seem to be a combination of common sense and politcal correctness. (How about social responsibility to shareholders?)
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:12 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 417
I, for one, am curious to know which institution of higher learning thinks that being able to answer* this question is a necessary qualification to manage an airport.

*I won't say "answer correctly" because I believe none of the possible responses are factually correct.
davisew is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,923
The question does not distinguish between whether the change would be perceived as positive or negative by members and the degree to which it would be perceived as material by members. That subjectivity critically impacts how you would respond to that question as there are instances where none of those answers are correct and where all three are correct. Reminds me why I do not miss school. I would be asking for my money back for what you paid for that class.
The Situation is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SJC/YUL
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,906
I would say this course is a waste of time
Mountain Explorer is online now  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:49 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,646
It would be a good question for an ethics course.

But, then, airline management business ethics is an oxymoron.

StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:25 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,851
I would love to know what this has to do with airport management. I'm not even majoring in Airport Mgmt, but this fantastic course remains a requirement for me.

It *would* be a waste of time, were it not my final required course to complete. Once I'm outta here I'll have no problem revealing the institution.

And thankfully I'm paying a grand total of nothing for this course.
sky303 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Posts: 12,159
Originally Posted by sky303
And thankfully I'm paying a grand total of nothing for this course.
That's still twice what it's worth.
sethb is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Posts: 840
I believe an entire section dealing with the premise of "The Terminal" should be included in this class. The multiple answer questions could include, "How many days can a passenger live at the airport?" or "Can the passenger send mail using the postal service?"

Good luck in the course and congrats on your hopefully soon-to-come degree or certifcation!
daloosh is offline  
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:59 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mostly living in the basement
Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Posts: 5,131
Originally Posted by davisew
I, for one, am curious to know which institution of higher learning thinks that being able to answer* this question is a necessary qualification to manage an airport.

*I won't say "answer correctly" because I believe none of the possible responses are factually correct.
Without debating the merits of the exam question, how is "A failure of communication" not a factually correct answer to "fails to notify the members of the change"?

Originally Posted by daloosh
I believe an entire section dealing with the premise of "The Terminal" should be included in this class. The multiple answer questions could include, "How many days can a passenger live at the airport?" or "Can the passenger send mail using the postal service?"
Or, how do you get stuck in international transit in a country without international transit?

Interesting side note, I've discussed this movie with my sister, an immigration lawyer. She liked it because of the immigration technicalities, and couldn't have been less interested in my analysis of the airport infrastructure
bennos is offline  
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:16 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Posts: 12,159
Originally Posted by bennos
Without debating the merits of the exam question, how is "A failure of communication" not a factually correct answer to "fails to notify the members of the change"?
If the lack of notification is intentional, there's no failure in the communication. See "broken as designed".
sethb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.