Wiki Posts
Search

Good Question, Doc...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Good Question, Doc...

Taking an online course in "Airport Management" , and look at what pops up as a question on our latest quiz:

I'm thinking I should email the professor and explain that we call those "enhancements" and that over at UA they call them, "changes you're going to like."
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:19 am

Dumb, subjective question.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Dumb, subjective question.
Hence my rolleyes at the entire class concept!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wouldn't that question be more suited to a course in Airline Mgt, vs Airport Mgt???
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sky303
Taking an online course in "Airport Management" , and look at what pops up as a question on our latest quiz:

I'm thinking I should email the professor and explain that we call those "enhancements" and that over at UA they call them, "changes you're going to like."
Why is this airport management? Airport employees have nothing to do with FF program decisions.

BTW, the answers seem to be a combination of common sense and politcal correctness. (How about social responsibility to shareholders?)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:12 am

I, for one, am curious to know which institution of higher learning thinks that being able to answer* this question is a necessary qualification to manage an airport.

*I won't say "answer correctly" because I believe none of the possible responses are factually correct.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:23 am

The question does not distinguish between whether the change would be perceived as positive or negative by members and the degree to which it would be perceived as material by members. That subjectivity critically impacts how you would respond to that question as there are instances where none of those answers are correct and where all three are correct. Reminds me why I do not miss school. I would be asking for my money back for what you paid for that class.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I would say this course is a waste of time
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
It would be a good question for an ethics course.

But, then, airline management business ethics is an oxymoron.

Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I would love to know what this has to do with airport management. I'm not even majoring in Airport Mgmt, but this fantastic course remains a requirement for me.

It *would* be a waste of time, were it not my final required course to complete. Once I'm outta here I'll have no problem revealing the institution.

And thankfully I'm paying a grand total of nothing for this course.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sky303
And thankfully I'm paying a grand total of nothing for this course.
That's still twice what it's worth.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I believe an entire section dealing with the premise of "The Terminal" should be included in this class. The multiple answer questions could include, "How many days can a passenger live at the airport?" or "Can the passenger send mail using the postal service?"

Good luck in the course and congrats on your hopefully soon-to-come degree or certifcation!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by davisew
I, for one, am curious to know which institution of higher learning thinks that being able to answer* this question is a necessary qualification to manage an airport.

*I won't say "answer correctly" because I believe none of the possible responses are factually correct.
Without debating the merits of the exam question, how is "A failure of communication" not a factually correct answer to "fails to notify the members of the change"?

Originally Posted by daloosh
I believe an entire section dealing with the premise of "The Terminal" should be included in this class. The multiple answer questions could include, "How many days can a passenger live at the airport?" or "Can the passenger send mail using the postal service?"
Or, how do you get stuck in international transit in a country without international transit?

Interesting side note, I've discussed this movie with my sister, an immigration lawyer. She liked it because of the immigration technicalities, and couldn't have been less interested in my analysis of the airport infrastructure
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bennos
Without debating the merits of the exam question, how is "A failure of communication" not a factually correct answer to "fails to notify the members of the change"?
If the lack of notification is intentional, there's no failure in the communication. See "broken as designed".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.