Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your choice for dinner is Nothing...or...the Nothing. Catering Fail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP

So far this year, my experiences in F have not been going so well, but this is new one for me. On DL899 tonight from PHX-MSP after take off when the FA in first came around for dinner orders, she said "Well this is a first for me in 35-years, catering gave us 2 empty carts, so we do not have a meal to offer tonight." She was apologetic, and offered the snack boxes as an option, I asked for the Tapas box, but she ran out by the time she got back to bringing it to me. I guess FEBO is only valid for actual meals not snack boxes LOL.

The funny thing is this is the second time in 6 months that catering in PHX has sent a flight out mis-catered. Last fall I was on a flight where they only filled the carts with one of the lunch choices, not both that were suppose to be there. But at least there was enough meals for everyone if they wanted it.

Last edited by hotshot265; Feb 22, 2018 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:18 pm

I'd be very interested to see how Delta responds.

My last UA flight (ORD-SFO) I got a $75 voucher in my email upon landing because the inflight wifi was apparently broken. (I did not notice because I never use inflight wifi.)

IMO, unavailable food is a much bigger problem than unavailable wifi.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I am going to wait until early next week to see if I get anything from Delta before sending in a complaint. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world on a flight under three hours, but I had a tight connection in MSP, so no chance to get anything there, and didn't bother to grab a sandwich or anything before heading to the airport because I knew I "should" be getting dinner. Didn't get a PDB either, even though we pushed back early, but if catering had stuff screwed up and was late, that could be the reason.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:46 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
The flight attendants are supposed to check the carts before departure to ensure that they are properly loaded. A failure on several levels here.
apolloms and jamesteroh like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hotshot265
I am going to wait until early next week to see if I get anything from Delta before sending in a complaint. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world on a flight under three hours, but I had a tight connection in MSP, so no chance to get anything there, and didn't bother to grab a sandwich or anything before heading to the airport because I knew I "should" be getting dinner. Didn't get a PDB either, even though we pushed back early, but if catering had stuff screwed up and was late, that could be the reason.
Don’t wait. DL will not be proactive.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just a data point (and I know compensation varies) but my compensation on a Delta flight the first of February from Liberia to MSP which essentially had no business class meal service was 7,500 miles.

Last edited by bcosinteno; Feb 23, 2018 at 6:45 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:22 am

I’d probably ask for 15K miles.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Just a data point (and I know compensation varies) but my compensation on a Delta flight the first of February from Liberia to MSP which essentially had no first class meal service was 7,500 miles.
I don't think DL offers FC on any flights of this length. It would have been business class.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think DL offers FC on any flights of this length. It would have been business class.
Coded as J, but essentially domestic FC.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by davie355
I'd be very interested to see how Delta responds.

My last UA flight (ORD-SFO) I got a $75 voucher in my email upon landing because the inflight wifi was apparently broken. (I did not notice because I never use inflight wifi.)

IMO, unavailable food is a much bigger problem than unavailable wifi.
I'd take WiFI being unavailable as a much bigger deal (although sadly a more common occurance) - if you're planning on having it and are not able to use it, could have some significant costs from a work productivity perspective. Food is just food.. you won't die from a couple of hours without it.

The voucher for failed WiFi must be new for UA - that's a really great idea I wish Delta would copy. Not having WiFi is a huge problem certainly worth compensation.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Based on the food I have seen recently a choice of none and none might be an upgrade.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:09 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by apodo77
Based on the food I have seen recently a choice of none and none might be an upgrade.
But that deprives you of the ability to complain about what was served. That alone deserves compensation...
apodo77 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Was it paid F or an upgrade? If paid F I would definitely ask for a voucher (maybe $50 Delta dollars?) in the complaint since dinner was part of the experience you paid for. If an upgrade I wouldn't ask for anything specific in the complaint and just hope for a few miles.

I am never bothered when they run out of my first choice since I'll eat pretty much anything put in front of me, but if I was counting on a meal and there was nothing available, that would be annoying and definitely grounds for a complaint.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Even if it's an upgrade, I would file a complaint. It's completely reasonable for someone to skip a meal in the terminal if they have a confirmed upgrade.
The Situation and dmarge18 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ethernal
I'd take WiFI being unavailable as a much bigger deal (although sadly a more common occurance) - if you're planning on having it and are not able to use it, could have some significant costs from a work productivity perspective. Food is just food.. you won't die from a couple of hours without it.

The voucher for failed WiFi must be new for UA - that's a really great idea I wish Delta would copy. Not having WiFi is a huge problem certainly worth compensation.
out of 8 flights this year so far on DL 5 have had non operational WiFi. Still waiting for my voucher.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.