Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Earning Global Upgrade Cert for over sold flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Has anyone had success earning Delta Global Upgrade certificates as compensation for oversold flights? What would Diamond members value these certificates at? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
No, this is impossible. VDB compensation is given in Delta Dollars, or a selection of gift cards.

GUC value is whatever you value it at. It is whatever you would have paid to fly in J over Y. Also, it depends on your ability to be flexible enough to actually use them.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Have not heard about this at all. The only thing I have heard offered as VDB compensation is a free RT ticket on a carrier like Virgin Atlantic, but Delta always seems to offer Delta $s.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: DL-PM
I tried to solicit one on an oversold ALB-DTW flight when they were offering $1000. The agents said they don't have a system in place for that so it isn't something they can do, but they did like the idea. So I ended up taking the $1000. This was a few years ago.
bgriff likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mills1090
I tried to solicit one on an oversold ALB-DTW flight when they were offering $1000. The agents said they don't have a system in place for that so it isn't something they can do, but they did like the idea. So I ended up taking the $1000. This was a few years ago.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if this was something Delta could offer. Just trying to expand my options on over sold flights in the future.
Also, thanks to everyone else for your responses.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Years (and years) ago, getting upgrade certs with little to no restrictions was part of their plan. Seems like a no brainer to me vs giving away all that money. Then again, maybe not.

And, where there is "discretion" on the part of the GA/Supr, giving away something that is considered just a piece of paper vs cash would result in more being given out.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Seems like a no brainer to me vs giving away all that money. Then again, maybe not.
Maybe an RUC would end up saving DL money in this scenario, but GUC's are potentially very valuable, and I think most often DL gives away DL dollars, not cash, because most of the time DL is dealing with volunteers, not IDB. If we guess that the typical compensation in DL dollars is $1,000 (not sure if this is true), then this is easily a better deal for Delta than a GUC which might represent several thousands of dollars in value, and even more in some circumstances. Of course, there are flights where someone using a GUC will get a seat than otherwise would have gone out empty or with a non-rev using it, but certainly there are plenty of D1 seats with pax on GUC's that DL could have otherwise sold.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Maybe an RUC would end up saving DL money in this scenario, but GUC's are potentially very valuable, and I think most often DL gives away DL dollars, not cash, because most of the time DL is dealing with volunteers, not IDB. If we guess that the typical compensation in DL dollars is $1,000 (not sure if this is true), then this is easily a better deal for Delta than a GUC which might represent several thousands of dollars in value, and even more in some circumstances. Of course, there are flights where someone using a GUC will get a seat than otherwise would have gone out empty or with a non-rev using it, but certainly there are plenty of D1 seats with pax on GUC's that DL could have otherwise sold.
Not if RM is releasing upgrade inventory correctly and using all the big data they have to predict D1 ticket sales.
ijgordon and CPMaverick like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL does a lot of big data analysis to figure out what VDB costs vs. IDB (including the cash + reputational hit). It could clearly issue anything it wants by way of internal credits (which is all GUCs/RUCs are). But, it chooses not to. This suggests that it does not want to start creating a whole bunch more of them than it already does,

The cash outlay to buy someone off with VDB Is not a simple dollar-for-dollar trade. If that were the case, it would be simpler to call for volunteers and if none to IDB people

Another way to look at this is that if you have a $1,000 in gift cards in hand, why not use them to purchase D1 / F if that is what you want?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Another way to look at this is that if you have a $1,000 in gift cards in hand, why not use them to purchase D1 / F if that is what you want?

F sure. However, when the coach fare is $900 and the D1 fare is $4000, a GUC is clearly better (if it clears).
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM
I love it when people outside of the airline industry love to speculate why airlines do things.

My guess is that the majority of the people who are bumped off a flight only really care about a free ticket of some sort, not really worried about a first class upgrade. Also, since GUC's and RUC's are already difficult enough to use, why would anyone who knows better elect to take one? People who don't know better might accept one and then when they try and use it and are not successful, will complain and say "I want the $1K certificate". Then you have even more people complaining about upgrade value. Look how many Plat's and Diamonds already say they don't pick them as Choice Benefits.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I love it when people outside of the airline industry love to speculate why airlines do things.

I love it when people complain about things other people do and then immediately proceed to do the exact same thing.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Talking

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I love it when people complain about things other people do and then immediately proceed to do the exact same thing.
Please reread my post. I wasn't speculating on what the airlines do or why they do it. I was speculating on what passengers do and why i don't think it would not work. And most of that was drawn from posts on this board.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets

My guess is that the majority of the people who are bumped off a flight only really care about a free ticket of some sort, not really worried about a first class upgrade. Also, since GUC's and RUC's are already difficult enough to use, why would anyone who knows better elect to take one? People who don't know better might accept one and then when they try and use it and are not successful, will complain and say "I want the $1K certificate". Then you have even more people complaining about upgrade value. Look how many Plat's and Diamonds already say they don't pick them as Choice Benefits.
Airlines do things in order to make profits. In the US, it would actually be a crime not to.

As someone who takes VDBs almost whenever possible, I like Amex (or Visa) gift cards over Delta Dollars; I'd probably take a GUC over $1,000 in Amex cards depending on my future travel plans. (And I'm a special case, most people in similar situations would be more likely to want GUCs.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.