Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I had forgotten the architectural gem MEM is.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I had forgotten the architectural gem MEM is.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
Has Delta moved out of B yet? I won't miss that walk to B20!
Originally Posted by teCh0010
After spring break they go to A concourse until 2021. Then right back to the far end of the new B.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the rent is cheaper the further away your gates are from the terminal and security. It always seems silly walking past all of those empty gates to get to Delta's gates at the end of B.
Traveller likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
National Airport is close -- the "main hall" is quite spectacular, but with the current security setup (due to change in a few years), people quickly pass through the main hall to go to/from the gates, and spend most of their time in the less architecturally dramatic gate areas or baggage claim area. Maybe the new security setup will allow people to enjoy the main hall at leisure.
Great point. It is a shame that you scurry through the architectural beaut only to be deposited in an (always overcrowded) box.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I love DCA's Terminal B/C architecture. It's sad however that pax coming into Terminal A miss the beauty of this terminal. I was waiting for someone recently coming in on WN at DCA and the first thing he told me was how dumpy of an airport DCA was.
The 1960s Terminal A at DCA is/was a dump. I've not been there since the merger.
But the original Terminal A that you walk through to get from A to B now must have been wonderful, for the 1930s.

The CO, now UA lounge is what was the first class restaurant on top of the north end of the terminal. Again, haven't been in there since CO left SkyTeam, but it was a beautiful room with great views. Much nicer that the old NW lounge in old Term A.

DCA original Term A interior

DCA original Term A landside
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:15 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the rent is cheaper the further away your gates are from the terminal and security. It always seems silly walking past all of those empty gates to get to Delta's gates at the end of B.
Delta keeps the gates at the end of B because there is office space on the apron level they use. They still use some of the closer gates (B6 and B8 in the north part of the Y, in particular. The odd-numbered gates all had to be evacuated when the apron on the west and south sides was resurfaced a couple of years ago (about the same time as they demolished the south side of concourse A.

FWIW, the gates and the end of B make it a lot faster to taxi in and out since the south end of C makes a bit of a choke point.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I haven't been there in a few years, but MEM has the shortest escalator I've ever seen something like 6 or 7 steps. By comparison,the Dupont Circle station on Metro in DC has one of the largest.

Bob H
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As a former Memphis resident - and frequent user of MEM in the day - when I saw the OP's thread title I thought she was being sarcastic. Sure, the drop off and ticketing area have some height and visual drama, but the concourses (B, anyway) are narrow, dark, dreary, low-ceiling brown brick - and it's the concourses where passengers spend the most time. IMHO it's telling that the rework plan calls for wider concourses, higher ceilings and more natural light in B, and tearing down most of Concourses A and C.

They're spending a fair amount of money ($200+ million) for an airport that doesn't see many passengers, about 2.1 million domestic passenger arrivals in 2017, #62 among U.S. airports. It will be a better experience for the passengers who use it but facilities aren't free.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BobH
I haven't been there in a few years, but MEM has the shortest escalator I've ever seen something like 6 or 7 steps. By comparison,the Dupont Circle station on Metro in DC has one of the largest.

Bob H
Dupont Circle is long -- 188 ft for the North end, but Wheaton is the longest in the DC Metro at 230 ft.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Love MEM as well. The walk between the economy parking deck and main terminal is the best- Great water features abound- very chill and relaxed vibe under the awnings. The SC is also a hidden gem in the system.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As a former Memphis resident - and frequent user of MEM in the day - when I saw the OP's thread title I thought she was being sarcastic. Sure, the drop off and ticketing area have some height and visual drama, but the concourses (B, anyway) are narrow, dark, dreary, low-ceiling brown brick - and it's the concourses where passengers spend the most time. IMHO it's telling that the rework plan calls for wider concourses, higher ceilings and more natural light in B, and tearing down most of Concourses A and C.

They're spending a fair amount of money ($200+ million) for an airport that doesn't see many passengers, about 2.1 million domestic passenger arrivals in 2017, #62 among U.S. airports. It will be a better experience for the passengers who use it but facilities aren't free.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Then read on a bit and thought that they hadn't been in the same airport that I had been flying through for years. While I always did like the check-in areas, the concourses always felt closed in and dark.
indufan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mot29
The 1960s Terminal A at DCA is/was a dump. I've not been there since the merger.
But the original Terminal A that you walk through to get from A to B now must have been wonderful, for the 1930s.

The CO, now UA lounge is what was the first class restaurant on top of the north end of the terminal. Again, haven't been in there since CO left SkyTeam, but it was a beautiful room with great views. Much nicer that the old NW lounge in old Term A.

DCA original Term A interior

DCA original Term A landside
This part of Terminal A is pretty neat but most pax traveling through Terminal A will never get to see this part of the terminal unless they take the long walk over to Terminal B/C in which they will walk through this old hall (if its not closed off like it is often) I don't understand why DCA didn't completely demolish the 1960's Terminal A and make it look more like Terminal B/C as its quite an embarrassment to our nations capital (they did do a "renovation" to it but its still the same old cramped and crowded terminal. I know Terminal A is mainly used by LCC like F9 and WN (AC is the exception) but it still shouldn't be a terminal in our nations capital airport.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
TWA's T5 at JFK, all I have to say.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I was actually thinking the same thing. Then read on a bit and thought that they hadn't been in the same airport that I had been flying through for years. While I always did like the check-in areas, the concourses always felt closed in and dark.
BTW - while true that the concourses are dark, they are truly cool in a retro way. You just don't see concourses that are narrow then widen with each boarding area. Most airports used to look like that.

I'm now saying it makes sense today. But nostalgia took hold of my heart. Here are additional photos I took of the gates, right down to the plastic signage for my flight - signage you just don't see in these days of computer screens.

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Looks like they've updated them a bit especially the lighting. Of course, I haven't been through there in at least 15 years.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

Bob H
Yeah and that short escalator was in the newest part of the airport built in the early 2000's off of Concourse A for NWA Jet Airlink. It was torn down about a year ago.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence

Bob H
I've lived in the DC area so long I actually remember them opening the Dupont Circle station. Between 1984 and 1992 I worked in the 1920 N building, about 3 blocks from the escalator you mentioned (at the corner of 20th and Q streets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.