FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I had forgotten the architectural gem MEM is.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:12 pm
Bluehen1

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
As a former Memphis resident - and frequent user of MEM in the day - when I saw the OP's thread title I thought she was being sarcastic. Sure, the drop off and ticketing area have some height and visual drama, but the concourses (B, anyway) are narrow, dark, dreary, low-ceiling brown brick - and it's the concourses where passengers spend the most time. IMHO it's telling that the rework plan calls for wider concourses, higher ceilings and more natural light in B, and tearing down most of Concourses A and C.

They're spending a fair amount of money ($200+ million) for an airport that doesn't see many passengers, about 2.1 million domestic passenger arrivals in 2017, #62 among U.S. airports. It will be a better experience for the passengers who use it but facilities aren't free.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Then read on a bit and thought that they hadn't been in the same airport that I had been flying through for years. While I always did like the check-in areas, the concourses always felt closed in and dark.