Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about standbys clearing on C+ before upgrade list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk about standbys clearing on C+ before upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WWads

I’m referring to when you’re on the bubble, and/or are trying for one of the blocked C+ seats.

If I’m pretty certain that an upgrade will/should clear, I’ll ask the GA every time. It’s better than just trusting the process.

The best scenario is being given a new BP.
This is great advice. However, unfortunately with DL these days, it's not foolproof. I remember when I was a GM years ago and SHENA happened, they took it SO seriously at the airport. Now it's whatever.

Example at ATL two days ago: Me and companion were 1 and 2 of 67 on the upgrade list. Go to gate to confirm they will clear us, 2 seats open. Go back to SkyClub and when we have new BPs for 4A and 4C, go to board as one of the last ones by the time we get to the gate. It was 17 minutes to departure. Gate agent states: we had to move your seats back and you also need to check all your luggage. There was no explanation, no friendliness, no anything. Ignored the unhelpful, rude GA after that (when I saw her have cleared two people from the bottom of standby into F just prior to us boarding) and went to Need Help, who rebooked us in F on new flights. But absolutely ridiculous behavior, and you can bet I reported it to DL.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Happened to me last year on a RDU-DCA flight:

I had to ask the gate agent to "upgrade" me to C+ and she was really annoyed about doing it too. Most of the standbys were NRSAs judging by the BPs I saw laid out.
I had two pax with disabilities documented in their PNR who needed bulkhead. A rude GA at LAX wouldn't even pull up the PNR to look at the notes from reservations. So I asked for a Red Coat, who saw the notes and instructed GA to put my two pax in 5C and 5D (on a CRJ900). She had 12 C+ seats left and gave most of them of them to NRSAs - including 5C and 5D - until I saw it in the app and went up to her and saw the NRSA BPs for those two seats.

Again had to ask for a Red Coat to get it sorted. But, this is unacceptable and tiring. I asked for the Red Coat's Supervisor at the airport and reported the GA because she was truly awful. He took a bunch of notes (including her saying "I do not want to help you, and I am not going to help you or call a Red Coat" she said this the second time) and said he would personally follow up with her. I hope she is terminated. She wasn't even wearing a nametag, and the Red Coat unofficially told me that they know her to a be a "problem." Well, then why don't you get rid of her?!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
ATL-RIC today. Shena?

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
ATL-RIC today. Shena?

It's so hard to tell with the fog of war - but almost certainly. Especially egregious given that someone cleared into 13A. I can almost see the reason why gate agents would be hesitant to clear middle seats last minute (to avoid people complaining that they did in fact prefer window/aisle Y than middle Y+)... but clearing into A/C/D/F seems extra Shena-y to me.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Im referring to when youre on the bubble, and/or are trying for one of the blocked C+ seats.

If Im pretty certain that an upgrade will/should clear, Ill ask the GA every time. Its better than just trusting the process.

The best scenario is being given a new BP.

Yes. This is a very good idea. I do it every time and just nicely form a question asking about it. I do the same when I am #1 on standby. I ask politely "I know it's likely not possible but if I clear from #1 on the standby list is it possible to get a window or aisle? And if it clears and there is upgrade space that would be even better."

Just so they know there won't be any shenanigans!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Perhaps I need to rename this thread to "Upgrades clearing before Upgrades on the Comfort+ upgrade list". I had someone below me on the C+ upgrade list clear before I did into 10C. I had to go complain to the gate agent to fix it.. which she did, but it then showed both of us as clearing into 10C. I got the seat, but I just don't get the point of the C+ upgrade list if it is completely ignored, either for standbys or for people further down on the list..

Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta marriott
Originally Posted by ethernal
So I know the standby list occasionally has passengers that may be booked into W but without a seat assignment. And I know sometimes the top people on the C+ upgrade list are selected only for Window/Aisle and only middle seats are available - but I assume that on an upgrade list 30-50+ people long at least some of those folks have selected the middle seat upgrade option.

I almost never see C+ upgrades clear at the gate. Even when there are 3 seats available (and potentially more if a few pax already in C+ clear into F - although I assume on the routes I fly most of the people clear directly into F as people that get C+ at booking usually have the lowest fare classes), I never see C+ upgrades. Instead, I see 3 people cleared from the standby list into C+.

Now as I said, I know that sometimes people on the standby list may be booked into W. But are there really always 2-3 people on the standby list that are booked into W? I doubt it - and yesterday I was waiting in line for the gate agent to help me with my seat (because apparently being a DM isn't good enough to keep a seat reservation as my seat had been moved to a less desirable one.. as I learned to allow a family booked in E to sit together but that's a separate topic) - and a man came up and asked for an aisle seat. Gate agent said, "no aisle seats available, but I can give you a bulkhead seat if that helps." The only bulkhead seats on a 739 are C+ seats (or F) - so she was clearly willing to put him in C+ before anyone on the upgrade list. He ended up turning it down for an exit row middle seat - but either way that tells me that there were obviously not 3 confirmed pax for W waiting to get their seats.

So who are these mysterious people on the standby list that always clear into W? I know some should be in W, but what about the rest? Non-revs? E pax that get lucky and jump ahead on the upgrade list? Whomever the GA feels like should get upgraded? Other Shenas?

As a DM that spends most of my time in Y-, I would like more transparency on who are getting these magical 2-3 seats held for gate upgrades.
Wow look who is acting paranoid now

I believe you are a p***y who constantly contradicts himself because it is really important for you to be liked on flyer talk that you will say whatever it takes to go with the majority and I am being serious you are as fake as it gets

Dont worry this will be my last post so go back to your delusions of grandeur

I believe it is very important for you to be liked on flyer talk and as for me I have better things to do and I do not care what you think of me

I just wanted to make a point to let you know I see right through your bully tactics

I will go now since I feel sorry for you and do not want to ad to your burden of being you
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Thats why you have to get to the gate early and tell the GA you want one of those seats. Theyre not likely to #shena with you standing right there.
That's what I do if I SDC onto a flight and don't think I'll clear into First. I'll just be at the gate early and when the GA opens the flight request the seat when she/he clears the upgrade list and usually they'll just clear me and give me the boarding pass right then. But I'm usually number 1 on the upgrade list since diamonds would have already cleared.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 10:03 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator Review
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.