Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Here’s A New One “the bathrooms do not work until 16,000 feet”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here’s A New One “the bathrooms do not work until 16,000 feet”

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
They weren't B-S-ing you...differential pressure is what drives the flushing of the toilets on many airplanes. On the ground (or below 16,000 feet for the A320), you dont have enough of a differential pressure so a vacuum generator is used on the A320 to produce the required pressure differential. In this case, it sounds like the vacuum generator was inop, but once you reach 16000 feet (according to Airbus for the A320 family aircraft), the 'normal' differential pressure would be enough to enable the toilet to flush...

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A32..._and_Waste.pdf
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well...then why do many passengers get up while the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on? Some people need to be treated like kids because they can't obey a clearly LIT sign!
sometimes you have to go lol...especially when they pull close to the gate and make you wait a really long time. Ive been guilty of that a few times but only when desparate!! I usually ding the flight attendant and ask though.

Last edited by nlkm9; Feb 14, 2018 at 4:08 pm Reason: left out
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well...then why do many passengers get up while the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on? Some people need to be treated like kids because they can't obey a clearly LIT sign!
exactly. Blurring the lines between who are the adults and who are the kids.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Imagine that, the FAs were right.

Someone is owed an apology....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
So I am hearing the A319/A320 lavs don’t work because of pressure but I have flown these planes countless times and always used the lav in F if needed.

In fact on all my A319/A320 flights in the past this is the only time DL has said this
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
They weren't B-S-ing you...differential pressure is what drives the flushing of the toilets on many airplanes. On the ground (or below 16,000 feet for the A320), you dont have enough of a differential pressure so a vacuum generator is used on the A320 to produce the required pressure differential. In this case, it sounds like the vacuum generator was inop, but once you reach 16000 feet (according to Airbus for the A320 family aircraft), the 'normal' differential pressure would be enough to enable the toilet to flush...

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A32..._and_Waste.pdf
so fair enough but how hard was it for the crew to just say that? Or just say “lavs unavailable on today’s flight until 16,000 feet?”

sometimes more information to people people is better then less....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
So I am hearing the A319/A320 lavs don’t work because of pressure but I have flown these planes countless times and always used the lav in F if needed.

In fact on all my A319/A320 flights in the past this is the only time DL has said this

Two people have already explained it in this thread.

Below 16k feet, the lavs use a vacuum pump to flush. Above 16k feet, the lavs flush on the differential pressure between the cabin and the outside air.

On your flight, the pump was likely inop. But they can fly without it, the lavs just don't work until 16k feet.

In this case, the crew told the truth, very specifically. Yet half the people here called them liars. I give the GA props for keeping passengers informed, especially before boarding.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:52 pm

so fair enough but how hard was it for the crew to just say that? Or just say “lavs unavailable on today’s flight until 16,000 feet?”

sometimes more information to people people is better then less....
How hard to say all that? Well pretty hard. Why not just believe the FA? Or ask them why, instead of mocking them? They are adults, treat them with the smallest amount of dignity.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
How hard to say all that? Well pretty hard. Why not just believe the FA? Or ask them why, instead of mocking them? They are adults, treat them with the smallest amount of dignity.
well acually I did and I was told this is on ALL planes and not just this one. So I’ll ask your question in reverse why couldn’t they treat me with the smallest amount of dignity?

they try to sell Amex cards in the air, the captain has to tell me every small story, but they couldn’t say “the vacuum pump is inoperable on the flight today as such lavs work only in flight”?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:59 pm

well acually I did and I was told this is on ALL planes and not just this one. So I’ll ask your question in reverse why couldn’t they treat me with the smallest amount of dignity?
Wow, some people just can't admit they are wrong.

The GA said it. The FAs said it. They told you it came from the pilot. Yet you still were so sure they were dumb and you knew better.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ugh I give up forget this thread.

Fyi it it took two pilots posting in this thread to tell me this so it’s not exactly normal information. I asked why couldn’t somebody treat me with dignity and just say why?

from the non pilots of the world this sounded ridiculous. I can admit I’m wrong and I AM ADMITTING I WAS WRONG.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:17 pm

Well, if they acknowledge that part of the lav is broken, they may get people asking for compensation..
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Ugh I give up forget this thread.

Fyi it it took two pilots posting in this thread to tell me this so it’s not exactly normal information. I asked why couldn’t somebody treat me with dignity and just say why?

from the non pilots of the world this sounded ridiculous. I can admit I’m wrong and I AM ADMITTING I WAS WRONG.
Because it's not science class, and the pilots have better things to do.

They weren't lying to you when they said they did not work under 16,000 feet.

Imagine if people are boarding any someone hears half of what the pilot tells you about the toilet situation and just hear broken plane.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Amazing. And totally false of course. I regularly try to use the lav before takeoff if I'm in F and not going to get in the way of pax boarding, because I know it could be a while before I can use again.
Actually more than likely totally true. The lavs on the Airbus flush due to differential pressure. On the ground where the pressure is equal the aircraft uses a electric vacuum pump. If that pump is inop the flight can be dispatched however the MEL specifies the toilets not be used until 16,000 feet when enough differential pressure will exist to insure they flush properly.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767

Actually more than likely totally true. The lavs on the Airbus flush due to differential pressure. On the ground where the pressure is equal the aircraft uses a electric vacuum pump. If that pump is inop the flight can be dispatched however the MEL specifies the toilets not be used until 16,000 feet when enough differential pressure will exist to insure they flush properly.

Wow, that's good to know. I apologize for assuming that I know more than I do. I hate when people act like I did

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.