Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyclub and CC recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Question Skyclub and CC recommendation

I am a Delta Flyer - currently Gold, but should be Platinum this year.as i fly every week.

My lounge access expires in a month (used points) and I want to renew. I am wondering about getting either the Platinum AmEx or Delta Reserve (had both previously)... but

I work for large corporation and everything is booked through Amex Travel. My personal credit card is Costco Visa and we put everything on it. So an Amex or Delta card for club access will only see limited use - I could use it for per diem meals, but that is about it. We do charge everything on Costco VIsa, so I could switch over for a bit, but I don't have any large purchases coming up that i could see for the 3 month purchase minimum on Amex (either one mentioned) to get me additional MQMs.

The only reason i don't want to use miles for lounge is saving them for future international travel, but I am not sure i can justify paying for the CC I rarely use. I do sit through enough regional flight delays that I enjoy having lounge access on a regular basis. The Amex platinum is appealing for those times when there is no Delta lounge, or i must fly another carrier due to lowest cost restrictions.

Any recommendations? Maybe something i am missing that would push me in one direction or the other?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:36 am

Ultimately you're going to end up paying either way considering the individual Sky Club membership is $495 a year for individuals or $745 a year for the Executive membership which allows you to bring guests into the clubs. In my mind, you'll get a lot of value from the Platinum Amex ($200 airline fee credit, Uber credit, status with SPG/Marriott, purchase protection, etc.) for $550/yr, especially in comparison to just having a club membership for $495.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
There are other benefits to the cards as well that you should consider.

For the Delta Reserve you will get a companion pass at the card opening anniversary date which can be used to purchase a second ticket for almost free (still have to pay taxes if I recall correctly). I used mine this year to get an $800 flight across the country and the second ticket for my companion was just $45 in taxes instead of being another $800.

The Amex Platinum is $100 more expensive than the Delta Reserve but comes with a $200 airline incidental credit, around $15 uber credits every month, centurion lounge access, etc.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Good point on the other stuff. I should add that also have my Global Entry renewal soon, and I know amex has a credit towards that, not sure about Delta Reserve though.

I am also Hilton Diamond, but I use work corp card for that too. As far as i can tell there is no way to link my corp card (Amex) to a private card in any way - or pay the difference and upgrade corp card to reward card.

Uber or other ride discounts don't matter as I only use them when I travel, and I am not paying for it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you've had these Amex card products before, you don't qualify for getting the signup bonus again -- "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product." You might get lucky if it's been quite awhile, but unlike Visa/MC cards, there's no 24-month rule with Amex card products.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

I thought previously Amex products had a limit - I remember it years ago. But i guess they changed.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

I see Amex Platinum offers reimbursement for PreCheck and Global entry. Does Delta Reserve?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by chromedome00
I see Amex Platinum offers reimbursement for PreCheck and Global entry. Does Delta Reserve?
No I don't believe so.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, it does not. One additional benefit of DL Amex cards is access to Pay-with-Miles.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Only benefit of Reserve over AX Plat is MQM and GM/PM waiver. But if you will not hit $30K spend the regular AX is better.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Only benefit of Reserve over AX Plat is MQM and GM/PM waiver. But if you will not hit $30K spend the regular AX is better.
Thanks - what is GM/PM waiver? Do you mean the Qualifying dollar spend?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - what is GM/PM waiver? Do you mean the Qualifying dollar spend?
Correct. MQD requirement is waived for Silver, Gold, Plat status with $25K annual spend on any of the DL Amex card products except for the Blue card.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Just curious why you put so much spend on the costco visa? It only gets 2% cash back.

Are you remotely close to 15k in MQDs? In addition to the other benefits, you could earn MQM boosts at 30k/60k in spend on the reserve, which could bring your MQMs over the threshold for diamond.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Just curious why you put so much spend on the costco visa? It only gets 2% cash back.

Are you remotely close to 15k in MQDs? In addition to the other benefits, you could earn MQM boosts at 30k/60k in spend on the reserve, which could bring your MQMs over the threshold for diamond.
4% fuel, 3% on restaurants and all travel, 2% at Costco, 1% everywhere else. Costco's Citi is my everyday card too.

But since OP is already flying enough to have DL status (doesn't need checked bags or priority boarding), and the new waiver policy won't help jump up to Diamond, I'd vote for the Amex Platinum card. Just from a lounge perspective in addition to Skyclub access, you get Centurion Lounge, Escape Lounges, and Priority Pass. I'd rather the extra lounges for a ($550 - $200 - $200 = ) $150 annual fee than the $450 w/ companion pass DL Reserve. You can also transfer Amex miles to Flying Blue if there are better awards with them to still fly on Delta metal/codeshares.

Oh, but to be fair, I don't use my Plat card for everyday spending, I have it for the travel perks. So if you are "not sure i can justify paying for the CC I rarely use", neither might be great - I look at it as "Paying for the lounges".

Edit: If you've had the Personal Amex Plat card you won't get a signup bonus but may still qualify for a signup bonus on the BUSINESS Platinum Card. $450 instead of $550 AF, no Uber credit.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
4% fuel, 3% on restaurants and all travel, 2% at Costco, 1% everywhere else. Costco's Citi is my everyday card too.

But since OP is already flying enough to have DL status (doesn't need checked bags or priority boarding), and the new waiver policy won't help jump up to Diamond, I'd vote for the Amex Platinum card. Just from a lounge perspective in addition to Skyclub access, you get Centurion Lounge, Escape Lounges, and Priority Pass. I'd rather the extra lounges for a ($550 - $200 - $200 = ) $150 annual fee than the $450 w/ companion pass DL Reserve. You can also transfer Amex miles to Flying Blue if there are better awards with them to still fly on Delta metal/codeshares.

Oh, but to be fair, I don't use my Plat card for everyday spending, I have it for the travel perks. So if you are "not sure i can justify paying for the CC I rarely use", neither might be great - I look at it as "Paying for the lounges".

Edit: If you've had the Personal Amex Plat card you won't get a signup bonus but may still qualify for a signup bonus on the BUSINESS Platinum Card. $450 instead of $550 AF, no Uber credit.
This site is a pain - I could only post 5 times in 24 hours - how to have a conversation? Could not create a new profile from same ip address either, had to use phone... anyway - OP here again, so to add some more info. I am not worried about hitting my MQD minimums.. i could probably get Platinum just on that with silver miles based on my cost per ticket spend. I do have to review Global Entry but that is only $100 in 4 years. I do have a company code for 10% of lounge access, not sure if that applies to miles or only $. I have never taken of companion certificates with my past DL or Amex cards due to timing and house full of geriatric pets - probably won't change for the next year or so, but after that, wife and i plan to be traveling fools.

Costco Executive member, so the cash i get back from Costco and from Citi is worth it. But I could probably move half my yearly charges to an Amex of some kind. I am not sure that getting a second for spouse is worth it, so I would have to use it for mostly online purchases, bill pay, etc where both of us could use one card.

But how do you come up with the 550-200-200? I almost never have incidental fees with Delta, and If i am flying American or another airline work is going to reimburse. Is that one of the $200 perks you list? What is the other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.