Wiki Posts
Search

I got downgraded. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Ok. So here is what I plan on sending to Delta:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I booked a multi-city flight in December 2017 on Delta.com leaving LAX for LHR on Virgin Atlantic flight 8 on 4/21/18 and returning to LAX from CDG on Air France flight 72 on 5/4/18. Both legs were booked in premium economy.

Yesterday, I called Air France for possible upgrade to business class for the Air France segment and the representative told me that yes, I could upgrade to business class for $900. I thought this was reasonable and agreed. However, upon receiving confirmation of the upgrade, I was disappointed to learn that my outbound flight on Virgin Atlantic had been downgraded from the original premium economy class to regular economy. I was not informed of this change when I booked the upgrade. Within minutes of learning about this, I called Delta, whose representatives seemed confused and said they were unable to help although, they were unsure about why my outbound flight was downgraded since all I did was upgrade the other leg. After calling both Virgin and Delta multiple times, I was told that while I had been downgraded through no fault of my own, I was in the unenviable position of having to pay an additional $480 to upgrade back into our original premium economy seats for the LAX to LHR flight, which in the end, I did. "

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to propose some sort of resolution or amount of recompense. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Just wanted to say that the sleuthing and knowledge demonstrated by my fellow FTers is what makes FT such a great resource. Kudos to everyone trying to help. Carry on!
irishguy28 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure if this has already been asked, but did you not get an email receipt for your upgrade purchase?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by nock

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I booked a multi-city flight in December 2017 on Delta.com leaving LAX for LHR on Virgin Atlantic flight 8 on 4/21/18 and returning to LAX from CDG on Air France flight 72 on 5/4/18. Both legs were booked in premium economy.

Yesterday, I called Air France for possible upgrade to business class for the Air France segment and the representative told me that yes, I could upgrade to business class for $900. I thought this was reasonable and agreed. However, upon receiving confirmation of the upgrade, I was disappointed to learn that my outbound flight on Virgin Atlantic had been downgraded from the original premium economy class to regular economy. I was not informed of this change when I booked the upgrade. Within minutes of learning about this, I called Delta, whose representatives seemed confused and said they were unable to help although, they were unsure about why my outbound flight was downgraded since all I did was upgrade the other leg. After calling both Virgin and Delta multiple times, I was told that while I had been downgraded through no fault of my own, I was in the unenviable position of having to pay an additional $480 to upgrade back into our original premium economy seats for the LAX to LHR flight, which in the end, I did. "

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to propose some sort of resolution or amount of recompense. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
Just trying to make sense. (PE) Ticket was first purchased online on Delta, you then called Air France using a number found on Google.
Air France re-ticketed you as Economy for outbound and Business for return (by mistake / misunderstanding)
You call Virgin and Delta to fix this?
Why not call back Air France to fix the mistake or re-instate back to original PE if you prefer not to pay (900 + 480) for the Business upgrade?
Would you have taken the buy-up at 1,380?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
+1

When no carrier is willing to fix it, you have done enough to mitigate the problem.

Prepare to enjoy your 75% refund while suffering in Y
Except in this case it seems that the OP gave consent to a change that may not have been completely explained to him/her.

If the ticket was reissued, the original ticket, and its PE "guarantee", are no longer valid travel documents. VS will not pay downgrade compensation given that travel will be provided as directed by the terms of the current ticket that was apparently validly issued, afresh, in Y class.

(EC261/2004 applies to "clearcut" cases. It does not apply to these "misselling" cases. It covers cases where the travel provided didn't correspond to the ticket held. Not to cases where the ticket held doesn't correspond to what the OP thought they had bought).
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Why not call back Air France to fix the mistake or re-instate back to original PE if you prefer not to pay (900 + 480) for the Business upgrade?
Would you have taken the buy-up at 1,380?
Based on the discussion in this thread, this seems to be the most appropriate way to think about it.
  • OP bought W/W.
  • OP wanted to upgrade to J/W, but was incorrectly quoted $900 for what was really J/Y. This implies at that time J/W would probably have cost (say) $1380.
Or put another way, the one way upgrade to J was really $1380, but was offset by the $480 "savings" in downgrading the other segment from W to Y. Still a problem that the agent misled the OP, but at least it's a plausible way of understanding what possibly happened...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OP you need to be more concise with your letter. And give accurate dates so the people reading know what you are talking about 'last December' and 'yesterday' are far too general. ( I hope you'll also include the booking ref - though can quite understand why you didn't include it on FT)

And sentences like 'I thought is was reasonable and agreed' are totally superfluous. As is stating 'I was disappointed to ...'

Be clear with what you want (i) restoration to PE on the VS8 and (ii) refund of the money you paid in error to get back into PE
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:01 am

"Dear Sir or Madam,

good, but make sure you also include your original receipt showing your purchase in PE. and then i would give them two options for resolution 1- refund of $480 or 2- upgrade to business on the outbound flight

good luck
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
OP you need to be more concise with your letter. And give accurate dates so the people reading know what you are talking about 'last December' and 'yesterday' are far too general. ( I hope you'll also include the booking ref - though can quite understand why you didn't include it on FT)

And sentences like 'I thought is was reasonable and agreed' are totally superfluous. As is stating 'I was disappointed to ...'

Be clear with what you want (i) restoration to PE on the VS8 and (ii) refund of the money you paid in error to get back into PE
This is critical. The proposed note wanders and does no provide relevant and necessary information on the one hand and on the other, provides all manner of opinion and fact which are not relevant. Imagine an agent reviewing this in 30-45 seconds figuring out what happened. If you want something to happen, try:

#1 - On *** (specific date), I booked the following itinerary (specific) under PNR # and e-ticket # was issued. A copy of my e-ticket receipt is attached.
#2 On *** (specific date) I called AF to determine whether it would upgrade me to J. It agreed to do so for $*** and I accepted the offer. A new e-ticket was issued.
#3 But, my new e-ticket is in Y, not PE and I never agreed to be downgraded and was not refunded anything. Please reinstate my originally ticketed segment in PE.

As to EC 261/2004 if this does not get fixed, the simple answer is that if you did not authorize the downgrade, you are entitled to the 75% refund from VS. The question is whether you can prove this. If you can't, you won't collect. From VS or after a small claims action.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:51 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
As to EC 261/2004 if this does not get fixed, the simple answer is that if you did not authorize the downgrade, you are entitled to the 75% refund from VS. The question is whether you can prove this. If you can't, you won't collect. From VS or after a small claims action.
This is going to be the hardest part. It's a "he said, she said" thing and one that would be very hard for the consumer to prove.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Ok. I'll send in a more dispassionate presentation of the facts. I figured there was a better way to go about it but I've never had to do this before. I'll let you know what happens - if anything.

Also, I just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone here on the delta forums for your ideas and support. The AF forum was crickets.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:58 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Ok. I'll send in a more dispassionate presentation of the facts. I figured there was a better way to go about it but I've never had to do this before. I'll let you know what happens - if anything.

Also, I just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone here on the delta forums for your ideas and support. The AF forum was crickets.
Good luck! Don't forget to include what you would want to see as a successful resolution. I think you will have the best luck requesting a credit voucher or miles in this instance.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Good luck--and please report back.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
I got downgraded today - was first on the UG list, two seats open for FC from MSP to TUS.

T-60 minutes, saw in my app I got the upgrade to 3b. I reload a few minutes later and then it says 'upgraded/26a'.

I go up to gate agent - He admits to upgrading me and then realizing that 'two people had paid first tickets but didn't have seats selected'.

Oh well - Disappointing, but whatever.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was 26A your original seat ore otherwise a seat you wanted on the flight? You shouldn't lose a good seat when a DL agent makes an mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.