Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Ticketed Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Non-Ticketed Upgrade

I am taking a packaged tour which includes air fare. The company has 'reserved' my ticket, I have a locator number and I see my reservation/seats on the DL website.

The trip is outbound Delta to AirFrance; the return AirFrance/Delta. All booked through Delta.on Premium Economy

Company doesn't actually book the tickets until about 2 months out (travelling in September))

I am hoping to use Sky Miles to upgrade to Business on at least the outbound as it is overnight from JFK to NAP.

Can I upgrade before the ticket is actually booked? I will need to get the booking codes from the company (they don't do upgrades) which I know they will supply

Any thoughts? Thank you
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I would imagine the answer is no - your reservation probably has to be ticketed before you can upgrade. But the obvious answer here is to call in and ask...

Note that you should expect the minimum upgrade cost to be 80K miles for one direction - which is equivalent to some lower tier award bookings - so it's not really the highest value for your miles.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

80K was the original "leaked" amount for H/Q/K TATL coach fares, but this was later revised to 60K--

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ng-miles.html#

Sounds like OP may have a DL P/A/G PE fare on AF metal. According to website PE fares should be mileage upgrade eligible. I would expect the amount to be less than the 60K charged for H/Q/K coach fares. Really need more details on the fare class.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or the tickets are BULK / Consolidator. There is no way to provide OP any advice other than to recommend that he call DL. Whether DL is prepared to upgrade a reservation which is not yet ticketed (generally not done) and what it might cost in any event are all major variables.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
80K was the original "leaked" amount for H/Q/K TATL coach fares, but this was later revised to 60K--

Sounds like OP may have a DL P/A/G PE fare on AF metal. According to website PE fares should be mileage upgrade eligible. I would expect the amount to be less than the 60K charged for H/Q/K coach fares. Really need more details on the fare class.
Ah good to know! I thought the 80k was pretty outrageous...

I doubt OP is flying P/A/G. It's more likely he's flying "DL W" C+ which (as I know you know) obviously inherits the underlying Y fare class. The way I read it is that the JFK<->CDG leg is DL and then the CDG<->NAP is AF.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
Or the tickets are BULK / Consolidator. There is no way to provide OP any advice other than to recommend that he call DL. Whether DL is prepared to upgrade a reservation which is not yet ticketed (generally not done) and what it might cost in any event are all major variables.
Even if DL does it, there is a real risk that the upgrade will be "lost" at time of ticketing, as the paid for class will be ticketed, esp. as the ticketing will be likely done by a third party (consolidator) and not DL, who has no knowledge of the upgrade, has received no consideration for it, and has nothing to do with it. Even if a DL agent promises to do it, I wouldn't do it, as there is a risk of it turning into a big and lengthy to resolve mess.

Only way to do it is to talk to the actual ticketing agent and have them do it - though it likely isn't possible on such a bulk/consolidator fare (but a direct J fare may be also considerably lower than DL published fares, so it's worth to ask what is the $ difference to upgrade).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Non-Ticketed Upgrade

Originally Posted by ethernal
I would imagine the answer is no - your reservation probably has to be ticketed before you can upgrade. But the obvious answer here is to call in and ask...

Note that you should expect the minimum upgrade cost to be 80K miles for one direction - which is equivalent to some lower tier award bookings - so it's not really the highest value for your miles.
Thanks

Do you know if I can upgrade JUST the long haul segment?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Non-Ticketed Upgrade

Originally Posted by LBJ

Thanks. Glad it might only be 60K! And thanks too, for the link
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Ah good to know! I thought the 80k was pretty outrageous...

I doubt OP is flying P/A/G. It's more likely he's flying "DL W" C+ which (as I know you know) obviously inherits the underlying Y fare class. The way I read it is that the JFK<->CDG leg is DL and then the CDG<->NAP is AF.
I don't know if consolidator. They said we will book your flight for 'x' and I paid the difference to upgrade to PE (I thought reasonable OHX/NAP < $350 RT) Maybe that's a lot....

I hate to wait until tix, 1.5 months in advance, as there may not be any upgrades left! But, it sounds like I will have to. I have talked to DL a couple of times with no luck
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by service1010
I don't know if consolidator. They said we will book your flight for 'x' and I paid the difference to upgrade to PE (I thought reasonable OHX/NAP < $350 RT) Maybe that's a lot....

I hate to wait until tix, 1.5 months in advance, as there may not be any upgrades left! But, it sounds like I will have to. I have talked to DL a couple of times with no luck
Unfortunately I can almost guarantee that you bought Delta Comfort+ and not real PE if you paid only $350 RT. That sounds like a somewhat pricey DL upsell to W and not real PE. Real PE would likely have been an extra $700-1500 depending on airline.

If the trans-Atlantic leg is DL, then you bought Comfort+ (which is not real PE).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.