Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is a 30+ minute connection in DTW or MSP really doable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Looking to book a flight from SEA-CLE early June. Most of the connections that get me into CLE at a decent hour through either DTW or MSP have 30-45 minute connections in these airports. One thru MSP gives me a 1.30 connection but gets me in a little later then I had hoped.

I have the same issue with the return....either a 30-45 minute connection or a 3 hour.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by david55
Looking to book a flight from SEA-CLE early June. Most of the connections that get me into CLE at a decent hour through either DTW or MSP have 30-45 minute connections in these airports. One thru MSP gives me a 1.30 connection but gets me in a little later then I had hoped.

I have the same issue with the return....either a 30-45 minute connection or a 3 hour.

Thoughts?
For DTW that is an easy connection time. You might have a brisk walk if you are going between the A terminal and the B/C terminal.
jalves and I 40 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I've had quite a few of these, and have always made it. If you have problems with fast walking, DTW is easier than MSP, given the efficient train in the terminal and overall shorter distances.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by david55

Thoughts?
I think 30minutes at DTW is tough. 45-60 is doable. The problem with DTW is the flight to CLE is likely a regional jet out of B/C and your SEA flight will come into A. That’s a long walk in 30 minutes.

I think 30 minutes at MSP is tight, but again, 45-60 is doable.

Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:06 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Suggest you review the existing threads that cover your questions:

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP): The Definitive Thread
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAproducer

I think 30minutes at DTW is tough. 45-60 is doable. The problem with DTW is the flight to CLE is likely a regional jet out of B/C and your SEA flight will come into A. That’s a long walk in 30 minutes.

Dtw-cle is mostly mainline and CR9's these days that depart from concourse A.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is really hard to answer without knowing a passenger's specific situation and the suggestions show that.

The connections are both within MCT. Whether they are within SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is subjective. MCT represents a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect. Nothing more. It is not about convenience or practicality.

It goes without saying that it your inbound is delayed and the outbound not accepting passengers after T-15, that you will misconnect. Nothing to be done about that.

The rest has to do with whether you are able to move at a brisk pace from arrival to departure. If you need or want to make a stop, if you cannot walk at that pace or, in the case of gate checks you need to wait, all bets are off.

The real question to ask is what are the consequences of a misconnect. Is there a later flight? When is it? Will it likely have space? If you are late to your destination, what are the consequences?
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
DTW -Departing from the front of the aircraft, and not waiting for a pink tag bag, 30 mins very doable IMHO.

MSP- I would check the arrival/departure gate history, even then , I wouldn't if connection critical.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see a lot of these tight connections as well on DL, and usually the only more reasonable ones are at off hours. 30-40 minutes does not allow much room for error. I would look at other airlines first.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by DCAproducer

It's less than 5000 feet from one end of B/C to the furthest point in A - not even one mile. Along the way there are close to a dozen moving walkways. If you're off the plane in a decent amount of time and don't stop to smell the flowers, 30 minutes is normally just fine. It would be fine even in the absence of all the moving walkways.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP needs to value the opportunity of an hour saved in transit (the 30-min vs. 90-min connection) and earlier arrival time vs. the possibility of a missed 30-min connection (knowing that there are later flights same day from both DTW and MSP).

Yes, 30-min connections are possible at DTW. I wouldn't do 30-mins to the last flight of the day without being prepared to overnight. OP can check aircraft and see if the current schedule is mainline to mainline.

As for people who routinely book away from 30-minute connections, maybe they suffer the scars of inferior airports (MSP, DTW and ATL are all pretty good) and airlines that haven't been The On-Time Machine for decades.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
If there are later flights to CLE that day, then I would be willing to book it. That gives you a potential backup if you do misconnect. As for MSP vs. DTW, I don't really have an issue with short connections at either airport, but I think DTW is a tad quicker, especially if you're on all mainline jets and can stay within A
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
If something goes totally wrong and miss the last flight of the day, it's a pretty easy drive from DTW to Cleveland. Been there, done that.

Back on topic, both are pretty easy connections. CLE flights usually live from the upper C gates at MSP and SEA will come into F or G. If it's a high G gate, it's a really short walk to the high C gates. DTW is a piece of cake to connect even if you walk from one end of A to the other.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
These connections would be too tight for me at either airport but at least if you go through DTW and misconnect and there happens to be no space on later flights, CLE is an easy drive from Detroit - not so much from MSP.

ETA: I see SJC ORD LDR made the same point above.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
I wouldn't be too concerned about a 30+ minute connection in MSP. Assuming no weather or mechanical delays (which could happen on any given aircraft at any given airport), you'll likely arrive early. MSP is the #1 most on-time airport (MSP Airport is No. 1 in on-time performance, report finds - StarTribune.com) and Delta overall as the most on-time airline. Your odds are about as good as they could get for a smooth connection at MSP on Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.