Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only passenger on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Only passenger on a flight?

Yesterday I was the sole passenger on a Delta flight from LGA to ORD. It was definitely a unique experience. (For example, after we landed in ORD, the pilot told me he was going to have the plane cleaned up, and I should call him when I'm ready to go back. )

I was amazed that Delta would let a plane fly with only one passenger. And it ended up going back from ORD to LGA with only 5 people, so it wasn't because the plane was needed in ORD.

Has anyone else ever experienced being the ONLY passenger on a flight?
LAX-1K and Grouchy like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I hope you hadn't checked a bag because you were concerned about OHB space.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I hope you hadn't checked a bag because you were concerned about OHB space.
LOL no checked luggage.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Once I was on a short hop like that with about 5 other people total, but never the sole passenger. Would have loved to experience that! Did you board as PREM or wait for your group to be called? :P
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelsay
Once I was on a short hop like that with about 5 other people total, but never the sole passenger. Would have loved to experience that! Did you board as PREM or wait for your group to be called? :P
Actually, they didn't even call for pre-boarding. The gate agent said something like, you're my special passenger for today! Welcome aboard!
DAL-767 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:43 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Hammer1
Yesterday I was the sole passenger on a Delta flight from LGA to ORD. It was definitely a unique experience. (For example, after we landed in ORD, the pilot told me he was going to have the plane cleaned up, and I should call him when I'm ready to go back. )

I was amazed that Delta would let a plane fly with only one passenger. And it ended up going back from ORD to LGA with only 5 people, so it wasn't because the plane was needed in ORD.

If you were on a Y ticket, did they let you in F?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was on the LGA/ORD Shuttle once, back when it left from the LGA MAT, and, there were less than 10 people on the flight, so, I commented to the GA, something like - -

I'm sorry for you that, Delta is probably losing money today! The GA replied . . . . "It's all about the contracts."

That said, years ago, I was flying CO on a redeye LAX?/CLE/CMH. The CLE/CMH flight was on an ATR42 or 72. Let's face it, there aren't too many people that need to fly from Cleveland to Columbus at around 6AM!

Anyway, I was the only person on that flight. The FA sat in the aisle seat opposite me and did the safety briefing, talking directly to me! She told me that, since there was nobody behind me, I could recline my seat from gate to gate! Someone here on FT eventually told me that was illegal.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
That's pretty cool. Especially with how full most flights are these days. I also want to know - did you have a Y ticket and have to sit in back? Although I guess if you have any status at all you would have been upgraded...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:59 am

Years ago I flew CO from Elmira/Corning NY (ELM) to Cleveland (CLE) and was the only person onboard. The pilot actually took my bag and placed it in the overhead for me and the FA did the safety briefing in about 2 minutes and then we were on our way. The pilot kept the door to the front open (before 9/11) and even came out to talk during the flight. Definitely a different experience.

Another CO flight from Houston to El Paso we only had 5 passengers on the plane and the FAs were very laid back. I even got up and got my own coffee several times as teh FAs sat in the empty FC seats and talked.
Hammer1 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:31 am

Actually, they didn't even call for pre-boarding. The gate agent said something like, you're my special passenger for today! Welcome aboard!
Knowing this at the gate, i hope you then took 20 minutes to walk down the jetbridge
Hammer1 and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OTD
If you were on a Y ticket, did they let you in F?
I was already in first, but the FA told me that if I HAD been sitting in Y, they definitely would have let me move to F.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I've had two. One was a late night departure CR9 SEA-LAS back before DL added the 717s on that route. Flight left on schedule around 1930 or so and it was just the crew and I. It was weird because it felt like we kept this stair-step climb all the way to cruise altitude. Captain explained that since we were so lightly loaded that the airplane was just climbing quicker than normal and there was a ton of traffic in the area.

The second one was a very, very delayed DEN-ATL MD90. Flight still operated with just myself and the crew.

I felt bad for the crew who had to, by FAA regs, do the safety demo. The MD90 crew just came over and did a quick, non-pa version, whereas the CR9 crew had to use the pre-recorded audio. It was definitely awkward.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:43 am

Not DL, but two weeks ago HAN - BKK on Qatar 777-300 with about 15 pax total in all classes. Love those 5th freedom flights in Asia and glad I did not pay $200 extra for business.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:51 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Sometimes transporting freight could be more profitable than pax.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

Positioning moves are not unusual -- my record is being the only passenger on a Lake Michigan ferry that normally carries hundreds of people.

Bob H
tynmar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.