Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two different mileage requirements for 1 trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

A friend and I were looking for a mileage flight between NYC and MSP. On my laptop the r/t flight was shown repeatedly as 35K miles. On hers - concurrently with mine - it was shown as 65K miles. Same dates, same times, same flights. Does Delta discriminate based on who's asking? Or is this something else?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Delta awards miles ("ordinary" miles, not Medallion Qualification Miles, which are used to determine status) based on the price paid for the ticket. There is also a multiplier to that amount based on the status of the passenger. So someone who pays more earns more miles. And someone with status that pays the same amount as a non-status person earns more miles, and that amount differs based on the person's status.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What dates and what flights? You say R/T "flight", but an award roundtrip is going to have more than one flight. Did you select both outgoing and return flights? Also, if you specify "NYC" in one search, and a specific New York airport in another, it's will likely show different mileage RT amounts (for the same outbound flights), as the return flight options will be restricted to a particular airport in the second search. Without further details on the search or screenshots, there's little to conclude here. DL price listings for RT revenue/award bookings are unusual in that they show a "lowest" total RT price on the outbound flight listings while other airlines only show a one-way price. In order to see what that "lowest" fare is based on, you have to actually select an outbound flight and see which return flights are being used to produce that fare. There is currently an issue with D1 fare listing in that the "lowest" fare being shown on the outbound flight listings is often incorrect (it seems to exclude many Z fares). However, when you actually select one of the outbound flight options, it recalculates fare amounts and actually will select lower priced Z fare options if they are available for the flight.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 18, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Delta awards miles ("ordinary" miles, not Medallion Qualification Miles, which are used to determine status) based on the price paid for the ticket. There is also a multiplier to that amount based on the status of the passenger. So someone who pays more earns more miles. And someone with status that pays the same amount as a non-status person earns more miles, and that amount differs based on the person's status.
OP looks to be looking at award redemptions, not mileage earning.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by broston
A friend and I were looking for a mileage flight between NYC and MSP. On my laptop the r/t flight was shown repeatedly as 35K miles. On hers - concurrently with mine - it was shown as 65K miles. Same dates, same times, same flights. Does Delta discriminate based on who's asking? Or is this something else?
My guess is there was some small difference as was already pointed out, NYC vs JFK or LGA, will give you different options, one of you could have selected direct fights only, and the return granting the lower miles rate was actually a connection. There are a ton of variables that could account for the discrepancy.

Some here will claim proof of price differences between being logged in or not, but it's never really been verified to be the case.

Screenshots would help get to the bottom of it
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP looks to be looking at award redemptions, not mileage earning.
Missed that. Thanks.

Could it be as simple as 1 seat available at that level, which goes to OP. Then friend searches and gets next higher level.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kop84
My guess is there was some small difference as was already pointed out, NYC vs JFK or LGA, will give you different options, one of you could have selected direct fights only, and the return granting the lower miles rate was actually a connection. There are a ton of variables that could account for the discrepancy.

Some here will claim proof of price differences between being logged in or not, but it's never really been verified to be the case.

Screenshots would help get to the bottom of it
In the past, elites were supposed to see enhanced availability for (coach) award tickets.

There were studies claiming that the type of computer/device (apple or not) matters as well as the browser can matter for pricing algorithms.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.