Greetings!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Greetings!

Hello DL Forum,

Just saying hi!

Though I'm a Canuck who moved to the US after college in 2010, I've remained an AC loyalist this entire time to avoid the transition year "pain". With the looming AC / AP uncertainty, I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I picked DL because it is a preferred carrier for my current employer and offering a 6-month status match (which was 12-months last year, but I missed out!). I'm SFO-based so will need to connect a fair bit, but I don't mind. I'm looking forward to trying out DL's premium cabins (especially on the A350) and getting to know this community.

Cheers!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:57 pm

Welcome!

What level did you get status matched to?

As a Plat, I’ve found complimentary upgrades to and from SFO to be incredibly rare, at least for the “long haul” flights (ATL, DTW, etc.). If you want frequent upgrades, try to connect thru SLC or maybe SEA.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hello DL Forum,

Just saying hi!

Though I'm a Canuck who moved to the US after college in 2010, I've remained an AC loyalist this entire time to avoid the transition year "pain". With the looming AC / AP uncertainty, I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I picked DL because it is a preferred carrier for my current employer and offering a 6-month status match (which was 12-months last year, but I missed out!). I'm SFO-based so will need to connect a fair bit, but I don't mind. I'm looking forward to trying out DL's premium cabins (especially on the A350) and getting to know this community.

Cheers!
Welcome. I must say I do not recall reading post whose primary purpose is to do a self introduction.

I will be trying the Delta A350-900 in March from DTW to PEK.
Booked on the Premium Select seats
Between NRT and DTW, I am also on their A350-900 but in the Main Cabin...
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Welcome, and especially welcome to the small but mighty group of SFO based DL elites. I think you will enjoy DL and especially enjoy the DL SFO experience. The terminal is nothing exciting, but the lines are usually short and the sky club is one of the best in the system. The agents are also generally very nice.

Where do you typically fly? I am mostly LAX/JFK so I don't have to connect much.
jamiestr and capedreamer like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Welcome!

What level did you get status matched to?

As a Plat, I’ve found complimentary upgrades to and from SFO to be incredibly rare, at least for the “long haul” flights (ATL, DTW, etc.). If you want frequent upgrades, try to connect thru SLC or maybe SEA.
I just submitted the match request today, but based on the advertised offer, I'm expecting Platinum. Thanks for the intel re: upgrade potential!

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Welcome, and especially welcome to the small but mighty group of SFO based DL elites. I think you will enjoy DL and especially enjoy the DL SFO experience. The terminal is nothing exciting, but the lines are usually short and the sky club is one of the best in the system. The agents are also generally very nice.

Where do you typically fly? I am mostly LAX/JFK so I don't have to connect much.
Thanks! My travels will be a mix of international (mostly Europe, some Asia and South America) and transborder flights to YOW.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

Thanks! My travels will be a mix of international (mostly Europe, some Asia and South America) and transborder flights to YOW.

For Europe, the KLM flight to AMS and the Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR are good options if you don't want to connect in SEA or LAX. I especially like the VS Premium Economy product on the 787 on this route. You can book these routes through DL and earn full mileage credit.

Also, the Virgin lounges are amazing and you have access to them as a plat. The one at SFO is wonderful and the one at LHR is among the very best in the world.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

For Europe, the KLM flight to AMS and the Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR are good options if you don't want to connect in SEA or LAX. I especially like the VS Premium Economy product on the 787 on this route. You can book these routes through DL and earn full mileage credit.
That's great to know! Especially since I've noticed some pretty reasonable prices for VS Premium Economy, which is also within my company's travel policies for long-haul flights.

Sadly, KL's SFO-AMS flights often feature Premium Economy based on some sample searches I've done.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:12 pm

Sadly, KL's SFO-AMS flights often feature Premium Economy based on some sample searches I've done.
Not totally sure what you mean here, but KLM does not offer a premium economy product. They offer business class and economy. Within the economy cabin they offer Economy Comfort, but this is not a separate class, it's just a regular coach seat that has a few inches of extra leg room and slightly more recline. They are among the best economy seats, but they are still economy seats.

Note that this is also true for Delta's Comfort+ product. DL has recently marketed this as a separate cabin, but don't be fooled, it's just a slightly nicer coach seat that comes with free snacks and drinks. On DL's A350 they have introduced a true premium economy product.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Not totally sure what you mean here, but KLM does not offer a premium economy product. They offer business class and economy. Within the economy cabin they offer Economy Comfort, but this is not a separate class, it's just a regular coach seat that has a few inches of extra leg room and slightly more recline. They are among the best economy seats, but they are still economy seats.

Note that this is also true for Delta's Comfort+ product. DL has recently marketed this as a separate cabin, but don't be fooled, it's just a slightly nicer coach seat that comes with free snacks and drinks. On DL's A350 they have introduced a true premium economy product.
Ah that explains it. For some reason, I thought KL offered a true Premium Economy on some types.

I had done some research on DL’s Comfort+ vs. Premium Select products so was prepared for that bit.

All the more reason to seek out VS!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:37 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
KLM's Comfort seats are great since they are free for Delta Plats. Same service, but better seats. Best is on their 747-combi planes which the front cabin is cozy and only comfort seats. Best ones are the interior "windowless" seat with plenty of storage space. Sadly they've removed that bird from my next LAX-AMS flight....though they are around until 2020 I heard for KLM.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Welcome OP!
I used to be a SFO based flyer and DL is great there. If it works consider a SC membership, SFO is one of the best if not the best in the US!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Welcome OP!
I used to be a SFO based flyer and DL is great there. If it works consider a SC membership, SFO is one of the best if not the best in the US!
Or, alternatively, a Reserve card. But yes, having lived in SFO until just six months ago, +1 on the SFO SkyClub. I wish they'd bring those mini-quiches back during breakfast time, though...
capedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL does not market C+ as a separate cabin, it calls it a separate "experience" within Main Cabin (just like Basic Economy) --

"Delta offers a variety of flight experiences tailored to meet your needs. Our Delta OneŽ, First Class, and Main Cabin are Delta's primary cabins of service. Delta Comfort+, Main Cabin, and Basic Economy are three experiences within our Main Cabin."
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL does not market C+ as a separate cabin, it calls it a separate "experience" within Main Cabin (just like Basic Economy) --

"Delta offers a variety of flight experiences tailored to meet your needs. Our Delta OneŽ, First Class, and Main Cabin are Delta's primary cabins of service. Delta Comfort+, Main Cabin, and Basic Economy are three experiences within our Main Cabin."

I believe starting on the 31st of this month it will be a separate cabin.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
I believe starting on the 31st of this month it will be a separate cabin.
Wasn't it a little bit earlier? Starting the 22nd of January as a fare product that is;

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...c-destina.html
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...-plus.html#buy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.