Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buzz Aldrin, 2nd man on the moon, goes into a fit at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buzz Aldrin, 2nd man on the moon, goes into a fit at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I was doing some work at Orbital Sciences a few years back in Dulles, VA. They had a Neil Armstrong conference room. On the conference room sign Buzz had written "Buzz Aldrin was here too" with a Sharpie.
DAL-767 and Dave737 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I know that he refuses to sign autographs, unlike most astronauts. He sells it for $300.
He has to pay that alimony somehow.....
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
He's just still upset Neil Armstrong was first This already furthers my opinion that Neil Armstrong is/was the better human being (plus he was in the same fraternity as me, so I'm biased).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by trooper
I wonder how much of his attitude comes from years of having folks say to him "Come on , admit it..it was all a fake".... That's got to be...wearing!
...and he's shown it can be wearing !

There are longer versions of the video where the guy harasses him rather obnoxiously for several minutes beforehand so I can't really blame Buzz, even though he is a bit of a jackass by all accounts.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:29 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I met Buzz a couple times a number of years ago, he was always very nice. I have a picture with him and he also signed an autograph each time (for free). Maybe he's getting grouchy in old age, he is 87 after all.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser

There are longer versions of the video where the guy harasses him rather obnoxiously for several minutes beforehand so I can't really blame Buzz, even though he is a bit of a jackass by all accounts.
I'd have punched that guy if I was him too, got to defend your honor. Plus one only has a limited amount of patience.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jonathanbak
I'd have punched that guy if I was him too, got to defend your honor. Plus one only has a limited amount of patience.
It's too dangerous to get into a physical fight with somebody like that (or anybody, really). He could be a better fighter than you, he could be a worse fighter but get one lucky punch, he could be armed, or he could have an aneurysm or something and die from being punched. Aldrin's action did produce the result I most preferred, and it ended well for him, but still, too much risk.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jk88usa

Oh i know...I’m not saying he’s a nice guy, but I’d say if anybody flying DL can scream DYKWIA it’s Buzz and not your Joe Blow DM member who can’t find a place to stow his carryon
Yes, I suppose that Buzz does in fact have bragging rights for DYKWIA. However, I bet half the people at the check-in counters being of a younger generation would have no clue who is really is..... Any how, what time did he arrive at the counter, does DL have a concierge service that should have been forewarned of his impending travel and failed?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:32 am

He's been angry ever since NASA closed their frequent flyer program. He was saving up for trip to Saturn.

And then the lounge took away the newspapers.
hi55us and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I see nothing showing me his complaint wasn't legitimate. My question would be why character-assassination pile-ons are even a thing in a mileage program forum.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Finally somebody with a right to holler DYKWIA
Question is did the staff know who he was? Reminds me of Kanye West fans who had no idea who Paul McCartney was.

These Kanye West Fans Don't Know Who Paul McCartney Is, Which Means All of Society Is Doomed | E! News Australia
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I know that he refuses to sign autographs, unlike most astronauts. He sells it for $300.
That is riDONKulous. Get some humility...jeez.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Fraser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryIstlIGks

Good for him punching that guy in the face. People are such jackasses sometimes.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:27 am

He was the second man to walk on the moon because he missed the first flight
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:05 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Originally Posted by nd2010
He was the second man to walk on the moon because he missed the first flight
that does not make any sense at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.