Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining E Credits and Giftcards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Combining E Credits and Giftcards

I am fairly new to Delta, I tried but couldnt find answers to this.

I have a Delta Ecredit in my account which I would like to use for upcoming travel, I also have a number of Delta EGift Cards - I do not see the option to pay with Both methods for one purchase when making payment.

Is there any way to do this?

Is it possible to convert a gift card to an ecredit so that i can use multiple credits in one transaction?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
You can use 1 e-credit per transaction. You can use multiple gift cards. The website doesn't allow you to use both an e-credit and a gift card in the same transaction, but if you call a representative can do it for you.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Are there any additional charges for calling in to make booking / payment?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
Are there any additional charges for calling in to make booking / payment?

No. But because of East Coast weather, wait times are likely to be extremely long. If possible, you might want to wait until after the storm to call.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
It may depend on the terms of the e-credits. Some of mine say specifically cannot be used with other credits or gift cards. A CSR may be able to waive it for you at no cost as well.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way to convert a gift card into an ecredit so that i can book online?

For examle use a gift card for purchase, cancel ticket within 24 hours, does this generate an ecredit?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
Is there any way to convert a gift card into an ecredit so that i can book online?

For examle use a gift card for purchase, cancel ticket within 24 hours, does this generate an ecredit?
I had this exact same thought, but if you cancel within 24h, I heard it goes back to original gift cards.

I found a roundabout solution. To give context, I contacted Delta asking for them to help book a flight using 3 gift cards ($250) and 1 ecredit ($50). After talking to a supervisor, they said it could not be done. I also asked if the gift card could be converted to ecredit, and the rep and supervisor also said it could not be done.

So I came up with another idea.

1) Book a placeholder flight for as close to the value of my gift cards as possible. I found one for $255, so I used my $250 gift card and $5 cash.
2) Immediately click "modify flight," and change the flight to the itinerary I actually want to book (valued at $315)
3) The system allows me to use the value of my original ticket from step 1 ($255) against the cost of the new flight, and also allows me to apply any ecredit I may have ($50)
4) Pay cash for the difference of $10

This is the most ridiculous, roundabout way to be able to use gift card and ecredit together. I also don't know whether this would be even possible outside of times of COVID-19 with waived change fees. It is important to note that I modified my flight immediately within the 24h policy, but that due to COVID-19, any change fees would have been waived regardless.
rogo likes this.

Last edited by yydv; Apr 22, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
I wish i had read this a few hours ago before giving up on this
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yydv
I also don't know whether this would be even possible outside of times of COVID-19 with waived change fees. It is important to note that I modified my flight immediately within the 24h policy, but that due to COVID-19, any change fees would have been waived regardless.
Not covid related, DL has said many times that change fee removal is permanent (except for Basic economy)

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...l-change-fees/
Old Oct 28, 2023, 11:28 pm

I just wanted to update this thread. Another win for FlyerTalk!

I found a good D1 fare for MKE>ATL>NCE for next July ($2,600 RT) while browsing today. The dates work great for me so I decided to book it. Also, only 1 stop between MKE and NCE is often way more expensive than two stops via CDG or AMS. So this was perfect.

The issue is that I had an eCredit and a gift card and wanted to use both. The website, however, made it look like that wasn’t allowed. I was about to give up but I decided to search FlyerTalk and found this very helpful thread.

Thanks to the info here, I reached out via the messaging system and within 20 minutes the agent was able to book the flight using card + eCredit + gift card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.