Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So if the TIAT lounge is $10, Delta would have negotiated likely a bulk deal, so it seems super CHEAP on their part not to find a solution to the STE+ and/or SC members for this basic benefit.
That may be true, but the same is the case at any outstation where there is no Delta/SkyTeam lounge. It only stings in Tokyo because Delta has a Sky Club at NRT, but it's no different from flying out of JNB, FRA, SIN, etc., where Delta uses a contract lounge and only gives access to D1 passengers, not elites in coach.

The idea of opening a Sky Club at HND is probably a long shot, given that HND will never be a Delta hub the way NRT was, and given that the US carriers have moved away from operating their own lounges at international airports in general. That said HND wouldn't be such a bad target for one of the SkyTeam lounges, though whether those are better or worse than the NRT Sky Clubs is up for debate.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Question: Has anyone had any experience with Premium Select and Haneda lounge access? I'm assuming that it will be considered the same as flying Y, but figured I'd check.

Mike
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikeef
Question: Has anyone had any experience with Premium Select and Haneda lounge access? I'm assuming that it will be considered the same as flying Y, but figured I'd check.

Mike
BUMP: What happens to elites (SkyTeam ElitePlus or top tier DL) departing HND confirmed on paid DL premium economy tickets?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's not Delta One, so no access.

Seriously DL, fix this crap.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I can confirm from recent personal experience that medallions in PE do not get lounge access at HND. However, HND is an attractive airport (lighter, less congested, a more open feel than NRT) with lots of places to eat and drink. I didn’t find it a hardship to forego a lounge (I feel that way about SIN also). Also, the DL checkin and gate staff (some of the checkin staff came out to the gate near departure time) are some of the pleasantest I have encountered.

My one MSP-HND-MSP trip has made me a fan of HND. I also liked the fact that the airport is so close to the city and well connected by subway and monorail. I was fortunate that a 50-55 minute subway ride, with no transfers necessary, got me from the airport to within four blocks of my hotel.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
It’s worth reminding that the lounge issue is irrelevant for arrivals. Into HND and out of NRT or KIX seems like the best solution for Y medallions who need the lounge access.

It’s a bit of a shame CX of all airlines opened a lounge in the last available spot at HND. Their lounge is nice, but redundant given JAL’s 2 existing and excellent lounges. Wish AF or CI had opened it instead (not KE... yikes).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
It’s worth reminding that the lounge issue is irrelevant for arrivals. Into HND and out of NRT or KIX seems like the best solution for Y medallions who need the lounge access.

It’s a bit of a shame CX of all airlines opened a lounge in the last available spot at HND. Their lounge is nice, but redundant given JAL’s 2 existing and excellent lounges. Wish AF or CI had opened it instead (not KE... yikes).
You mean you don't want one of the luxurious KE lounges? The ones that people rave about all the time. Especially, one like the glorious KE lounge at LAX.
NOLAnwGOLD and Far From Home like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Or the ones at ICN that get worse every time there's a new lounge? The old KE lounge in terminal 1, then the satellite lounge, and finally the terminal 2 lounge. It makes connecting through ICN rather than NRT look much less appealing.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
It's not Delta One, so no access.

Seriously DL, fix this crap.
what is there to fix? This is the way it is at literally every outstation without a partner lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
what is there to fix? This is the way it is at literally every outstation without a partner lounge.
We're not talking about FRA or BCN though. Tokyo is an incredibly important market with a lot of competition. AA and UA elites get lounge access at HND. DL elites do not. That's a problem.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
For skyteam flyers, HND is very much like FRA or BCN. It's an outstation. for OW and *A, it's a connection point.
CalebMCO likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:50 am

There's also a premium economy cabin, which one would like to associate with some sort of premium service on the ground. To me, this would imply expedited lines, somewhat early boarding, and at least some minimal lounge arrangement for major business oriented routes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think JL is the only carrier (or one of the only ones) that provides lounge access in Premium Economy. I suppose that's as good a reason as any to provide it for DL's PE customers in HND, though.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You mean you don't want one of the luxurious KE lounges? The ones that people rave about all the time. Especially, one like the glorious KE lounge at LAX.

In all honesty, this was one of the main reasons I switched to AA as I fly through LAX often and now I get the bliss of the Qantas First Lounge that is on an entirely different level of Lounge!!!

i am flying LAX-HND this week though for the first time on DL; I had GUCs that are expiring Jan 15th!! LoL
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by WWads

We're not talking about FRA or BCN though. Tokyo is an incredibly important market with a lot of competition. AA and UA elites get lounge access at HND. DL elites do not. That's a problem.
Delta doesn't care about Tokyo or Japan, beyond the legacy business and customer base it inherited from Northwest. If Delta did care it would fly to Tokyo from New York.

Delta cares more about its partnership and joint-venture with communist, state-owned China Eastern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.