Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Warning for all Medallion members traveling to Tokyo HND

Old Jan 2, 18, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Third trip to HND this year and I will never travel to this airport again.

They have changed their lounge rules and no longer except any Medallion member, regardless of tier, into the TIAT Lounge anymore. They ended Medallion privileges there as of November 2017. They will only except Delta one customers now.

Your only lounge option is the sky lounge, which you have to pay to get in, and only provide juice and tea. I am a Delta reserve card holder and the sky lounge does except access if you have an American Express, but only if it was issued in Japan?! What the heck? Only issued in Japan? Thatís descrimination in my book.

For anyone traveling to Japan I suggest using NRT airport. HND is not accommodating at all to Delta Medallions anymore.

Old Jan 3, 18, 12:46 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post

They have changed their lounge rules and no longer except any Medallion member, regardless of tier, into the TIAT Lounge anymore. They ended Medallion privileges there as of November 2017. They will only except Delta one customers now.

Your only lounge option is the sky lounge, which you have to pay to get in, and only provide juice and tea. I am a Delta reserve card holder and the sky lounge does except access if you have an American Express, but only if it was issued in Japan?! What the heck? Only issued in Japan? Thatís descrimination in my book.

For anyone traveling to Japan I suggest using NRT airport. HND is not accommodating at all to Delta Medallions anymore.
I think this is overblown. The SkyClub locator site lists HND as having access available for D1 passengers only - not for Elite+ or credit card holders, as its a third party lounge that has nothing to do with Delta or SkyTeam. Delta has to pay the lounge for every entry and right now is willing to foot the bill there only for D1 passengers.

The convenience of the airport much outweighs the lounge access. Having said that, the SkyClub at NRT is nice and it would be amazing if such a DL-branded club with that level of selection and service opened at HND.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post

it would appear they do except Medallion members from entry. They will accept a D1 passenger with no problem also.

Why would a serious traveler to whom time is money avoid HND over lounge use? When compared to location and ease, it's barely an issue. This is where there is a FT disconnect with how business operates.
Old Jan 3, 18, 3:57 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I can see why you might change airline loyalty over this... DL isn't giving their best product to their elites, and it is just to save DL money. Not competitive in the marketplace and below expectations. If you were flying AA or UA (or their partners) to HND, you'd have lounge access.

But changing airports? No thanks, I'll keep flying to HND. I won't take the inconvenience of NRT just for a bit of lounge time.

You seem angry at HND. HND hasn't done anything wrong. Blame DL (and AMEX), they make up the rules.
Old Jan 3, 18, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Delta changed the policy for third-party lounge access for Medallions (not flying D1) on DL-operated flights quite awhile ago.

If flying a SkyTeam partner, GM/PM/DM can still gain lounge access (ST or third-party) as a ST Elite/Elite+.
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
If flying a SkyTeam partner, GM/PM/DM can still gain lounge access (ST or third-party) as a ST Elite/Elite+.
Just curious, which airline gives access to ST Elite?
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
You may not get access, but you will save 1.5-2 hours and a considerable amount of cash thanks to HNDís convenience. Spend the savings at one of the nice restaurants in the terminal.
As a DL GM/PM/DM, youíd still get lounge access if you were flying KE, AF, CI, etc.
AceReport likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:38 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The DL Amex Reserve card only includes access to actual DL operated Sky Clubs. It does not include access to any third party lounges. This is quite clear in the T&C's. The non-branded US Platinum Amex card includes Priority Pass which gets you into a large number of third party lounges internationally (in addition to DL Sky Clubs when flying DL). However, there do not appear to be any Priority Pass lounges in HND (only NRT). In short, there are a number of different Amex card products and the benefits all vary depending on which type of Amex card you have and where the Amex card is issued. You should carefully read the T&C's before assuming the particular Amex card you have will get you into lounges at airports you frequent on a regular basis.
bubbashow likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
It is pretty crappy... they are marketing HND as the alternative to NRT, but treating it like the red headed stepchild for benefits. Getting lounge access at what is supposed to be a focus city and near a hub should be expected.

The problem is that DL is stripping away lounge benefits even at key JV partners like KL in AMS. I think its not until 2019, but no more crown lounge unless you're in D1. Effectively they are making SC membership domestic only for DL lounges and no intl partner access... so at that point might as well just use the Reserve or Amex Plat card and not bother with a SC membership.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:49 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
It is pretty crappy... they are marketing HND as the alternative to NRT, but treating it like the red headed stepchild for benefits. Getting lounge access at what is supposed to be a focus city and near a hub should be expected.

The problem is that DL is stripping away lounge benefits even at key JV partners like KL in AMS. I think its not until 2019, but no more crown lounge unless you're in D1. Effectively they are making SC membership domestic only for DL lounges and no intl partner access... so at that point might as well just use the Reserve or Amex Plat card and not bother with a SC membership.
To be clear, Gold Medallions or higher (Skyteam Elite Plus) will still get lounge access to Skyteam partner lounges when traveling internationally. So it is not only D1 customers who get access. It is only Sky Club members that are losing access to Skyteam partner lounges.

Last edited by LBJ; Jan 3, 18 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
Just curious, which airline gives access to ST Elite?
Sorry, was typing quickly, just STE+.
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
it would appear they do except Medallion members from entry. They will accept a D1 passenger with no problem also.
^
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Looking at DL's website lounge finder, it shows access for D1 only. If you check the box for ST E+, including the specific definition, it blanks out the two available lounges. So, either the website is wrong or DL has indeed stopped paying for its elites to access those two third-party lounges.
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:56 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Looking at DL's website lounge finder, it shows access for D1 only. If you check the box for ST E+, including the specific definition, it blanks out the two available lounges. So, either the website is wrong or DL has indeed stopped paying for its elites to access those two third-party lounges.
Pretty clear that the access was a temporary promotion which has now expired.

Here's the first announcement for access between Oct 30, 2016 - Apr 30, 2017 --

Delta is offering Medallions third-party lounge access in HND

And the subsequent extension through Oct 31, 2017 --

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...promotion.html
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Yeah, I got denied entry last Nov as a DM flying in Y. If my GUC would have cleared then I could have got in with a D1 boarding pass... but that didn't even clear at gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: