Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US East Coast Weather Waivers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Let's not make things up. There are no employees whose sole job is de-icing. Ground crews are cross trained to do multiple jobs. Delta would just need to call in reserve employees during the light snow dustings ATL gets. They should be ashamed to let their operation fall apart when airports in the Midwest handle it routinely.
Since when is 6inches of snow in ATL a “light dusting”?!

I already corrected your earlier false assertion, and now I will again. Airports in the Midwest (and anywhere, JFK/LGA being the latest examples) cannot sustain a full operation, or anywhere close to it, in a heavy snow event. You obviously have no idea how airports/Airlines operate.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
.....Airports in the Midwest (and anywhere, JFK/LGA being the latest examples) cannot sustain a full operation, or anywhere close to it, in a heavy snow event. You obviously have no idea how airports/Airlines operate.
Yes. Just look at JFK where snow is no rare event. It was closed yesterday morning and didn't reopen until 7AM today.

My JFK bound flight was ready to land at JFK around 130PM yet it circled for 2 hours before being diverted to IAD. LGA was also closed. EWR was technically open but no flight could land due to crosswind. JFK bound LH400, scheduled to land around the same time, was diverted to ATL.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 5, 2018 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm surprised they tried to send anything to JFK yesterday.

BOS probably going to have lots of delays today due to wind also.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
My flight today @ 1:40 PM from ATL > CHS just got cancelled and I was rebooked for a Sunday morning flight. The Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation protection is definitely going to come in handy. I'll be spending the weekend in ATL.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tkelsay
My flight today @ 1:40 PM from ATL > CHS just got cancelled and I was rebooked for a Sunday morning flight. The Chase Sapphire Reserve trip cancellation protection is definitely going to come in handy. I'll be spending the weekend in ATL.

CHS is closed until the 9th.... I wouldn't bet on getting there any time soon. Try another airport and drive.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by suvayanr
CHS is closed until the 9th.... I wouldn't bet on getting there any time soon. Try another airport and drive.
That's surprising, considering CHS is also an AFB and has a major Boeing factory onsite. I know my family in ILM said they got about 2 inches of snow on top of two inches of ice. Not sure if CHS got ice (which is much worse to deal with), but I know they reported 7 inches of snow.

Here in RDU, I heard the weather team say last night that we will probably break a 35 year record for days not getting above freezing (6.62). Lots of businesses/schools still closed and water main breaks. Good times, bring on some heat.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
Chs NOT CLOSED UNTIL 9TH oPENTODAY OR IN MORNING

I was just on CHS website and it says will be open late today(5) or at least by Saturday(6th) morning
tkelsay likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Let's not make things up. There are no employees whose sole job is de-icing. Ground crews are cross trained to do multiple jobs. Delta would just need to call in reserve employees during the light snow dustings ATL gets. They should be ashamed to let their operation fall apart when airports in the Midwest handle it routinely.
Right, but then you still have to train the extra reserves, and I don't know how DL handles its reserve ground crews, but its common for reserves that are on call to be compensated (whether that's in additional benefits or direct pay) since they can't otherwise make plans to go on vacation, etc. Not to mention the capital cost of having extra deicing equipment.

The point is, it's not surprising to me that ATL doesn't handle winter weather as well as MSP or DTW. Perhaps DL could do a better job at ATL, but there is a cost factor that needs to be considered.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rrohio
I was just on CHS website and it says will be open late today(5) or at least by Saturday(6th) morning
I'm simply going off the FAA website
AIRPORT CLOSURES
ARPT TIME REASON REOPEN
CHS 01041359 NO SNOW/ICE REMOVAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE 01082359
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How can a commercial airport in the USA close for that many days?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm simply going off the FAA website
AIRPORT CLOSURES
ARPT TIME REASON REOPEN
CHS 01041359 NO SNOW/ICE REMOVAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE 01082359
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Considering the reason is no snow/ice removal equipment and it's an area that doesn't normally get snow (I think the last reported snow there was 25 years ago if the report I saw was correct) and it still hasn't warmed up, this is probably a reasonable excuse not to reopen.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Considering the reason is no snow/ice removal equipment and it's an area that doesn't normally get snow (I think the last reported snow there was 25 years ago if the report I saw was correct) and it still hasn't warmed up, this is probably a reasonable excuse not to reopen.
That's what I read too. Snow (especially of this amount) is rare in CHS. Airport website is saying they should reopen later today or latest tomorrow AM.

https://www.iflychs.com/News-Media/C...date-for-Jan-5
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
wasn't JFK closed for several days after Sandy? I don't remember. what about MSY post-Katrina?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
wasn't JFK closed for several days after Sandy? I don't remember. what about MSY post-Katrina?
MSY was closed to commercial and GA traffic for over two weeks post-Katrina, though National Guard, et. al. were able to use it earlier.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Due to the conditions at CHS airport, Delta has extended the waiver to include travel from Jan 5-8, 2018. Under the new waiver, new travel must originate on or before January 12, 2018.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...c-airport.html

The NOTAM that the Air Force at CHS filed says the airport will reopen on January 8. However, they are doing runway checks every 2 hours, and once it is determined that the runways are safe, flights will resume (even if it is before the 8th).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.