Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking in for flights operated by Delta out of Paris-CDG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking in for flights operated by Delta out of Paris-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

It definitely helped to ask in French and be super polite and patient. The roughly 40€ fee is because France charges a “Solidarity Tax” for departures, supposedly to help fund aid for developing countries. There are two different amounts charged on departures - one for economy tickets and one for premium tickets. The difference is roughly 40€

I don’t believe the Netherlands implements a similar tax, so it is probably easier for KLM to process day of upgrades (also probably easier because KLM’s systems were much more integrated with NW - maybe some of that carriers over to DL).

The UK has a similar tax regime. I’ve never tried a day of departure upgrade from there to see how DL (or VS) handle the tax collection.
What I meant was that you got an upgrade for ONLY 40 euros they never took your global upgrade certificate. Perhaps it was happening a lot and that's why Delta doesn't allow Air France to do day of departure upgrades whereas KLM can still do them.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Delta Twitter customer service was useless -- they told me they couldn't do anything and if I wanted to be manually checked in I would have to call the diamond line, which really wasn't possible for me to do from France.
Just a little tip. Whenever I'm out of the US, I just use Skype to call the 1-800 (or whatever) number. Works just fine, you can even put in your Skymiles number with the keypad on the Skype app (I'm using an iPhone).
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by at-qbkilla
Just a little tip. Whenever I'm out of the US, I just use Skype to call the 1-800 (or whatever) number. Works just fine, you can even put in your Skymiles number with the keypad on the Skype app (I'm using an iPhone).
Would this be the same as using wifi calling? My iPhone has an option for wifi calling through AT&T.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:53 am

Would this be the same as using wifi calling? My iPhone has an option for wifi calling through AT&T.
I'm sorry, I don't know that. I don't live in the US and I don't have a US cellular carrier. So what I do, I use Skype and it let's me use the 1-800 number for free. That's my way to call the Medallion line, because if I call from Europe the Delta line I usually end up at the Airfrance hotline which doesn't help in most cases.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:23 am

There are a line of kiosks between the TGV/RER station and ticketing. It's easy to stop there and checkin and get your boarding pass.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, if you can do wifi calling then you can call US-based 1-800 numbers.

Of course, doing this isn't necessary because you could just check in with air france like the app suggested.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, if you can do wifi calling then you can call US-based 1-800 numbers.

Of course, doing this isn't necessary because you could just check in with air france like the app suggested.
The issue was (and remains) the mobile application could be programmed to say, "Because your flight departs Paris you need to check-in with Air France. Click here." Instead, it said I had check-in with Air France because my flight was "operated by" Air France. That's going to cause some people, such as myself, to question whether there has been a schedule change or something else that caused me to be placed on an Air France flight instead of the Delta flight that I originally booked. Moreover, non-experienced travelers are probably not familiar with the extensive relationship between Air France and Delta and, as a result, could be very, very confused and think they have been bumped to another airline.

I'm a Diamond who flew 180,000 butt-in-seat miles in 2017. In the last four years, I've flown a half-dozen times through Paris but it's always been on connecting flights from elsewhere. The last time I originated in Paris I didn't do online check-in. It's confusing. It's even more confusing to a less experienced traveler.

It's just like Amsterdam, where Delta could insert an automated message thats informs passengers that their departing gate on US-bound flights will be provided after clearing pre-departure security. So many folks wander around like zombies there because they're unfamiliar with the drill.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:44 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I think less experienced travelers are more likely to just read "check in with air france" and then do that. It's the people who know more who start overanalyzing things and assume there's something wrong with the instructions.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer

It definitely helped to ask in French and be super polite and patient. The roughly 40€ fee is because France charges a “Solidarity Tax” for departures, supposedly to help fund aid for developing countries. There are two different amounts charged on departures - one for economy tickets and one for premium tickets. The difference is roughly 40€

I don’t believe the Netherlands implements a similar tax, so it is probably easier for KLM to process day of upgrades (also probably easier because KLM’s systems were much more integrated with NW - maybe some of that carriers over to DL).

The UK has a similar tax regime. I’ve never tried a day of departure upgrade from there to see how DL (or VS) handle the tax collection.
Ex-UK, they just charge the increased APD, even same-day UGs. Only time I have not paid the increased APD is in an OpUp scenario.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Interesting problem yesterday. I couldn't check-in using either Delta.com or the Delta mobile application for a flight, operated by Delta, out of Paris-C.D.G. Both Delta.com and the Delta mobile application claimed the flight was operated by Air France so I had to check-in with Air France. Delta Twitter customer service was useless -- they told me they couldn't do anything and if I wanted to be manually checked in I would have to call the diamond line, which really wasn't possible for me to do from France.

Has anyone else experienced this?
For LHR CDG DTW AUS a couple of weeks ago, had to check in via the AF website. Nothing new.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah. The Sky Priority check-in is great. The lounge is a little beat up -- the furniture mostly, but the selection of food is good and the self-serve champagne is even better. I liked the privacy of the upstairs. What was, however, frustrating was the inconsistency in magazines and newspapers. Each rack -- there are at least 4 racks throughout the lounge -- have different ones, so don't give up if at first glance there is no New York Times or Financial Times.
You're very lucky. I usually have long waits here and then even longer lines for SkyPriority passport control to leave the EU at CDG.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
Ex-UK, they just charge the increased APD, even same-day UGs. Only time I have not paid the increased APD is in an OpUp scenario.
That's what's supposed to happen. If you use a GUC or miles to upgrade in advance, DL can't reissue the ticket in D1 until the additional "luxury tax" has been paid.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Perhaps your €40 upgrade is the reason why Air France (both the check-in desk and the lounge attendants) told me upgrades on Delta were no longer possible on the day of departure. The lounge attendant was very specific saying, "Delta won't let us anymore." I'm guessing you may have not been the only one they weren't upgrading correctly.

KLM must do it correctly.
DL now redirects to AF site for online checking (works from a laptop, not from mobile).

Related, given that AF manages the seat map during 24 hours before the flight, it has been challenging to get visibility into upgrades.

I have been able to use a GUC even the night before the flight working directly with Delta. By the way, even the tax collection is a hit or miss. They don't always collect.

Now what I am curious about is that I have had a few flights out of CDG where the night before there were quite a many seats available in D1. However on the plane all of them were taken.
I did go around and looked at the seats that were previously marked as empty. I don't believe those sitting there were non-revs, but I could be wrong.

Does AF offer D1 upsells for those that bought the ticket through AF even though it's DL operated?
I can confirm there is no D1 upsell if the ticket was bought through Delta and you're checking in through AF's online system.

Does the AF lounge offer any option to upgrade w/ points or cash (i.e. small sum, not fare difference)?

I am curious what your experiences are. I am considering booking a DL operated ticket through AF and seeing what happens when I check in out of CDG in terms of upsell offers.
From my experience, flying AF metal, if there were more than X seats available in business, they will consistently offer an upgrade to business (from premium economy at least, haven't tried from economy). I found those offers to be quite reasonable.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
Now what I am curious about is that I have had a few flights out of CDG where the night before there were quite a many seats available in D1. However on the plane all of them were taken.
I did go around and looked at the seats that were previously marked as empty. I don't believe those sitting there were non-revs, but I could be wrong.

Does AF offer D1 upsells for those that bought the ticket through AF even though it's DL operated?
I can confirm there is no D1 upsell if the ticket was bought through Delta and you're checking in through AF's online system.

Does the AF lounge offer any option to upgrade w/ points or cash (i.e. small sum, not fare difference)?

I am curious what your experiences are. I am considering booking a DL operated ticket through AF and seeing what happens when I check in out of CDG in terms of upsell offers.
From my experience, flying AF metal, if there were more than X seats available in business, they will consistently offer an upgrade to business (from premium economy at least, haven't tried from economy). I found those offers to be quite reasonable.
AF does not upsell Delta One seats at CDG, but KLM does at AMS (miles+copay). Paris is a dream destination for NRSA, so it is very common to have the seats left filled up with nonrevs.

The AF upgrade offers are now ridiculously expensive as AF revamped their cash upgrade policy.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

I'm a Diamond who flew 180,000 butt-in-seat miles in 2017. In the last four years, I've flown a half-dozen times through Paris but it's always been on connecting flights from elsewhere. The last time I originated in Paris I didn't do online check-in. It's confusing. It's even more confusing to a less experienced traveler.
NWA.com used to show you both their PNR and the AF/KL PNR. Now I call the Diamond line and ask for the AF PNR. I then go to airfrance.us, enter the PNR and select my seat as well as add any contact, including passport info that didn't carry over from Delta. Once you have that info in your AF record, AF is good about emailing you when its time to check-in as well as other updates about your flight. Bottom line: the AF PNR should let you check-in online. I've also found I can use the AF iPhone app to monitor my flight and get electronic boarding passes once I have the AF PNR.

FWIW: Delta does have a script built into their desktop website that is supposed to automatically copy your partner PNR and take you to their site when you click to check in for a flight that is handled by a partner. It doesn't always work, especially on mobile devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.