FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Checking in for flights operated by Delta out of Paris-CDG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1885409-checking-flights-operated-delta-out-paris-cdg.html)

hockeyinsider Dec 31, 2017 5:16 am

Checking in for flights operated by Delta out of Paris-CDG

Interesting problem yesterday. I couldn't check-in using either Delta.com or the Delta mobile application for a flight, operated by Delta, out of Paris-C.D.G. Both Delta.com and the Delta mobile application claimed the flight was operated by Air France so I had to check-in with Air France. Delta Twitter customer service was useless -- they told me they couldn't do anything and if I wanted to be manually checked in I would have to call the diamond line, which really wasn't possible for me to do from France.

Has anyone else experienced this?

flyerCO Dec 31, 2017 6:26 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29232778)
Interesting problem yesterday. I couldn't check-in using either Delta.com or the Delta mobile application for a flight, operated by Delta, out of Paris-C.D.G. Both Delta.com and the Delta mobile application claimed the flight was operated by Air France so I had to check-in with Air France. Delta Twitter customer service was useless -- they told me they couldn't do anything and if I wanted to be manually checked in I would have to call the diamond line, which really wasn't possible for me to do from France.

Like AMS, all ex-CDG DL departures are handled by their partner. For all purposes it becomes an AF flight, just with a DL flight number. Search will show this has gone on for years.

pvn Dec 31, 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29232778)

Did you try checking in with Air France?

hockeyinsider Dec 31, 2017 6:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29232919)
Like AMS, all ex-CDG DL departures are handled by their partner. For all purposes it becomes an AF flight, just with a DL flight number. Search will show this has gone on for years.

Thanks. I normally only connect through CDG and AMS, mostly from Nordic countries or UK so this was new to me.

Russ21Atl Dec 31, 2017 2:27 pm

As mentioned, when checking in for a DL flight from CDG, ANY DL customer on a DL ticket can check in at any AF kiosk or regular AF check in desk. This is due to the fact that the checkin system is AF’s Gaetan and not DL’s Deltamatic.

puddinhead Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm

If you're connecting to another flight in the US your AF/KL BP won't show Pre-Check. You will have to check in on delta.com 24 hours before your US flight's departure and don't login. Just enter the PNR and the US city as a departure city to get a Delta BP with Pre-Check.

SDQBound Dec 31, 2017 2:50 pm

As others mentioned, DL flights are managed by AF for check-in and departure purposes, this is why 2 days before departure whatever you see on dl.com (seatmap, upgrade status) is not accurate. Twitter and phone agents don't understand how this happens at all.

hockeyinsider Jan 1, 2018 5:03 am

For what it's worth, the Air France lounge attendants told me that Delta doesn't allow them to do upgrades day of departure. I thought this was interesting because KLM will do an upgrade an hour before departure, if there's availability. Air France and KLM are the same company.

SEA-Flyer Jan 1, 2018 7:16 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29235608)
For what it's worth, the Air France lounge attendants told me that Delta doesn't allow them to do upgrades day of departure. I thought this was interesting because KLM will do an upgrade an hour before departure, if there's availability. Air France and KLM are the same company.

They are the same parent company. But AF and KLM are separate subsidiaries, so some things work different between them.

I have been able get AF to do an upgrade of a friend from Economy to Delta One using a GUC at a combination of the checkin counter and gate - requested at counter, they got on the phone and talked to the gate for a while. Counter then asked us to go to gate to pay the extra 40€ or so in departure taxes for the upgrade. Friend was on a separate ticket - technically by the rules I shouldn’t have been able to upgrade them since I was on a separate ticket that was in paid business class. (One of Delta’s dumbest rules if you ask me).

They obviously didn’t do the upgrade completely correctly as my GUC never disappeared. The extra resultant GUC didn’t matter as I had all of my subsequent trips in paid business class, and I ended up losing two GUCs due to expiration that I never even tried to use.

curl Jan 1, 2018 7:41 am

As others have mentioned, this is standard. Of course I tried to check in with app pinged me and said “Check in now” If you have status, CDG is a breeze and AF lounge is great. :)

Chris92009 Jan 1, 2018 8:18 am

Air France will send you an email to check in with a seat already assigned in advance which you can change. The notice is emailed within 24 hours of the flight. It will not come on the delta end but rather the AF end... FYI

SDQBound Jan 1, 2018 9:17 am

Another tip, AF check in opens at T-30 even for Do flights. Since Golds and Silvers are usually unable to get a C+ seat because AF takes control right before the window opens, checking in at T-30 allows GMs and FOs to select the remaining C+ seats.

hockeyinsider Jan 1, 2018 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 29235880)

They are the same parent company. But AF and KLM are separate subsidiaries, so some things work different between them.

I have been able get AF to do an upgrade of a friend from Economy to Delta One using a GUC at a combination of the checkin counter and gate - requested at counter, they got on the phone and talked to the gate for a while. Counter then asked us to go to gate to pay the extra 40€ or so in departure taxes for the upgrade. Friend was on a separate ticket - technically by the rules I shouldn’t have been able to upgrade them since I was on a separate ticket that was in paid business class. (One of Delta’s dumbest rules if you ask me).

They obviously didn’t do the upgrade completely correctly as my GUC never disappeared. The extra resultant GUC didn’t matter as I had all of my subsequent trips in paid business class, and I ended up losing two GUCs due to expiration that I never even tried to use.

Perhaps your €40 upgrade is the reason why Air France (both the check-in desk and the lounge attendants) told me upgrades on Delta were no longer possible on the day of departure. The lounge attendant was very specific saying, "Delta won't let us anymore." I'm guessing you may have not been the only one they weren't upgrading correctly.

KLM must do it correctly.

hockeyinsider Jan 1, 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by curl (Post 29235935)
As others have mentioned, this is standard. Of course I tried to check in with app pinged me and said “Check in now” If you have status, CDG is a breeze and AF lounge is great. :)

Yeah. The Sky Priority check-in is great. The lounge is a little beat up -- the furniture mostly, but the selection of food is good and the self-serve champagne is even better. I liked the privacy of the upstairs. What was, however, frustrating was the inconsistency in magazines and newspapers. Each rack -- there are at least 4 racks throughout the lounge -- have different ones, so don't give up if at first glance there is no New York Times or Financial Times.

SEA-Flyer Jan 1, 2018 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 29236669)
Perhaps your €40 upgrade is the reason why Air France (both the check-in desk and the lounge attendants) told me upgrades on Delta were no longer possible on the day of departure. The lounge attendant was very specific saying, "Delta won't let us anymore." I'm guessing you may have not been the only one they weren't upgrading correctly.

KLM must do it correctly.

It definitely helped to ask in French and be super polite and patient. :) The roughly 40€ fee is because France charges a “Solidarity Tax” for departures, supposedly to help fund aid for developing countries. There are two different amounts charged on departures - one for economy tickets and one for premium tickets. The difference is roughly 40€

I don’t believe the Netherlands implements a similar tax, so it is probably easier for KLM to process day of upgrades (also probably easier because KLM’s systems were much more integrated with NW - maybe some of that carriers over to DL).

The UK has a similar tax regime. I’ve never tried a day of departure upgrade from there to see how DL (or VS) handle the tax collection.