Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $300 to elevate your status to silver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I have this option, but not sure if silver is worth it. What do you think though? I travel probably once a month or so for work and "sometimes" get upgraded to premium economy. If gold it would be a no brainer.

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I wouldn't. Unless I had a ton of rollover MQM that I'd lose otherwise.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I probably would. It's a free checked bag, preferred seats, and relatively frequent C+ upgrades.

Even though it's only Silver, any level of elite status is better than nothing.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I have this option, but not sure if silver is worth it. What do you think though? I travel probably once a month or so for work and "sometimes" get upgraded to premium economy. If gold it would be a no brainer.

Thanks
If you fly on long flights, Silver is nice to pick exit row free upon booking. The checked bag is a decent benefit, as is use of SkyPriority check in at some stations where listed (not a published benefit on the website) plus not having to wait when calling Delta.

Having said that, as a Diamond, I am always replied to in under an hour on Twitter. Have a friend who is Silver and it took them a lot lot longer to reply to him on Twitter. But you could spend $300 on seats and bags on 1-2 roundtrips.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by WWads
I probably would. It's a free checked bag, preferred seats, and relatively frequent C+ upgrades.

Even though it's only Silver, any level of elite status is better than nothing.
Is Silver worth it if you only fly paid First? I already get two bags free. If I get an upgrade, I'm in the cockpit.

Any other "perks" besides those mentioned?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by Brian Chen

Thanks
Get Amex gold, this will give you free bag. Exit rows in my opinion are not so great, especially on longer flights since they tend to have thinner cushions. You can use sky priority even if you are just a general member when checking in, You just have to have the gall to do it, I have never seen them turn anyone away. Just like when boarding, board with premium if you want. Does not matter if you are zone 3, It is never/very rarely enforced. There you go, I just saved you $205 (have to pay Amex delta gold annual fee, of course you can get that waived).
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:30 pm

IMO Silver is pretty worthless if you have a DL credit card, this gives you the free bag and pretty close to the same boarding priority. Yes there are a couple other perks, nice to have but not worth spending money for. I don't think C+ is all that great, and it's cheap if you want to buy it anyway.

If you fly premium cabin, Silver is just a little RDM bonus, can't think of anything else.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
You can use sky priority even if you are just a general member when checking in, You just have to have the gall to do it, I have never seen them turn anyone away. Just like when boarding, board with premium if you want. Does not matter if you are zone 3, It is never/very rarely enforced. There you go, I just saved you $205
$205 is a pretty cheap price for somebody's soul!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
IMO Silver is pretty worthless if you have a DL credit card, this gives you the free bag and pretty close to the same boarding priority. Yes there are a couple other perks, nice to have but not worth spending money for. I don't think C+ is all that great, and it's cheap if you want to buy it anyway.

If you fly premium cabin, Silver is just a little RDM bonus, can't think of anything else.
While I agree that C+ isn't all that great, I'm surprised at how expensive it has become recently on same routes. For example, I remember C+ "seat selection" fees in the $10-$39 range per segment.

ATL-LGA or JFK or BOS used to be $25-$39 for a segment. Now it is easily at least $60 more. I'm just glad I don't pay for C+ because I wouldn't pay what they're asking for it.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:39 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
Is Silver worth it if you only fly paid First? I already get two bags free. If I get an upgrade, I'm in the cockpit.

Extra bag - 3 instead of 2
Rollovwr MQM's
Lower chance of getting bumped (IDB) although in FC it is low. If coach totally filled with DM and PM you might get bumped in FC
Priority waitlist to buy FC ticket if sold out
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan

Higher priority rebooking in case of IRROPS.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Well it depends on how you fly and your preferences. You're basically paying $300 for free luggage, earn more miles, and the ability to pick seats in the front of the plane and the exit row. $300 might be worth it if you normally check a bag and you'll have more options when it comes to picking a seat you like in advance. You do have opportunity to get upgraded but First Class is near impossible and you'll be on the bottom of the list for Comfort and more likely get stuck in a middle seat in Comfort (which is why I always decline the upgrade to comfort unless its on Delta Connection plane).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:13 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Nah, count up what you'd save/get based on your travel needs/patterns.
But I'm guessing no way, keep your $$
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
One more consideration depending on your expected flying pattern for next year - will spending the $300 to reach Silver Status result in significant rollover MQMs toward next year's status qualifying?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Higher priority rebooking in case of IRROPS.
That's the thing that people miss about status. When things go wrong, any medallion level is better than being part of the masses.
Powers106 and jjmiller69 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.