Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP-AMS any news on an equipment change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hi,

My wife and I are traveling to Athens / Venice from MSP in May. We are flying MSP-AMS-ATH and then VCE-AMS-MSP. Is there any news on a 350 going on ANY routes from MSP? I know they are slowly adding new routes but I'm curious. We booked a z class fare and I'm super excited.

Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ben Siegel
Hi,

My wife and I are traveling to Athens / Venice from MSP in May. We are flying MSP-AMS-ATH and then VCE-AMS-MSP. Is there any news on a 350 going on ANY routes from MSP? I know they are slowly adding new routes but I'm curious. We booked a z class fare and I'm super excited.

Thanks!
No, they're mostly out of DTW at this point. You're likely to get an A330.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ben Siegel
Hi,

Thanks!
I wouldn't expect an A350 on this route anytime soon. Sorry, but consider yourself lucky to get an A330 rather than the 767.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The A350's are primarily considered to be 747 replacements for use on long-haul TPAC routes and were not intended for TATL routes. The shorter range A330-900neo order (starting in 2019) is intended for TATL routes like MSP-AMS as well as west coast TPAC routes. You can find this info in DL public statements such as the one below. The use of an A350 on one of the DTW-AMS frequencies is a bit of a surprise and I wouldn't draw any conclusions that we will see further deployments of A350's on TATL routes. I believe the A350 deliveries are a bit ahead of schedule which has likely enabled this particular flight.

Delta adds A350-900, A330-900neo to its fleet plan | Delta News Hub
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I wouldn't expect an A350 at MSP for a long time. The best chance would be a possible future MSP-ICN flight. The A330 can cover everything is flies now. DL only has 15 A350s ordered through 2019 before the next round of 10 is scheduled starting in 2021, so they'll be limited everywhere except for DTW for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by LBJ
The use of an A350 on one of the DTW-AMS frequencies is a bit of a surprise and I wouldn't draw any conclusions that we will see further deployments of A350's on TATL routes. I believe the A350 deliveries are a bit ahead of schedule which has likely enabled this particular flight.
Deliveries are not ahead of schedule, and DTW-AMS is likely about aircraft utilization. DTW-AMS rotates nicely with DTW-Asia, and so it keeps an A350 in the air instead of sitting on the ground. Current schedules indicate a potential NRT-DTW-AMS-DTW-Asia rotation.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't expect an A350 on this route anytime soon. Sorry, but consider yourself lucky to get an A330 rather than the 767.
I don't think the 767 has really been on MSP-AMS in the last 10-15 years, certainly not for any length of time. It looks like the remainder of winter a is A333/777 + KL a few times a week, then moving to 3X A333 in April, when KL moves to an A330 as well. Regardless, it is almost exclusively A333, though there is now a 777 in the rotation, and KLM's 787.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
If you want to take the A350 to AMS, you can route through DTW as DL is adding the A350 on one of the DTW-AMS flights.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If you want to take the A350 to AMS, you can route through DTW as DL is adding the A350 on one of the DTW-AMS flights.
This is what I would do. If you've already bought the tickets wait for a significant schedule change and then see if they'll put you onto the A350 from DTW
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
I don't think the 767 has really been on MSP-AMS in the last 10-15 years, certainly not for any length of time. It looks like the remainder of winter a is A333/777 + KL a few times a week, then moving to 3X A333 in April, when KL moves to an A330 as well. Regardless, it is almost exclusively A333, though there is now a 777 in the rotation, and KLM's 787.
The 767 has been scheduled for MSP-AMS off and on since shortly after the merger, if I remember right the start of it. Lately it's been absent though.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The 767 has been scheduled for MSP-AMS off and on since shortly after the merger, if I remember right the start of it. Lately it's been absent though.
Unfortunately, it's often been on the last MSP-AMS and vv nonstops of the day, which are the flights I like to take when possible. MSP-LHR has been the 767-400 for a while, but I haven't checked for aircraft type on the current schedule.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:23 am

You might consider flying to DTW from MSP, there is a Daily A359 DTW-AMS that might work for you.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
You might consider flying to DTW from MSP, there is a Daily A359 DTW-AMS that might work for you.
Considering the OP was asking about a flight they scheduled for May 2018, that will be useful information for their next planned flight.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ChamplinAl
I'm not the OP. In fact, I've already tried the A350 and while it's nice, I'm not sure I would schedule a connection through DTW in order to ride it instead of the A330 or 777, although I might in order to avoid a 767 in D1.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately, it's often been on the last MSP-AMS and vv nonstops of the day, which are the flights I like to take when possible. MSP-LHR has been the 767-400 for a while, but I haven't checked for aircraft type on the current schedule.
I too prefer the last flight of the night to AMS. Unfortunately, it looks like KL will take over that departure with their 787 at least some of the 2019 schedule. At my size, I just do not want the 3-3-3 Y cabin (and no C+) unless no other option is even remotely viable. I'm looking at a March trip to BCN, and the 10:15pm MSP-AMS is a KL 787, and the 8:13pm (flt 162, a long standing flight number) is operated by a 767.

(And on the particular day I'm considering, DL's web site is showing DL162 w/ seatmap for the ex-Gulf version. There are only four of these frames currently flying - two in storage. I wish they would be more specific about holding those 4 to a subset of route pairs to minimize last minute swap issues with seat assignments)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:55 am

Old thread I know however the OP should be grateful they have no risk of getting a 767 to AMS!

The clapped out Delta One cabin in those 767s used between MSP>LHR are getting long in the tooth, whats more Delta can charge a small fortune as they have no nonstop competition on the route.

(and apologies for going OT!)
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.