Wiki Posts
Search

LIH-CMH routing advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
LIH-CMH routing advice

I recently had a schedule change to my booked LIH-CMH trip and was looking for flyertalk's advice on the best rerouting option. The options are:
1. LIH-SEA-ATL-CMH departs at 8:15 pm and arrives at 6:01 pm with a 55 min connection in SEA and 2hr33min connection in ATL. This is what I am currently auto rebooked into.
2. LIH-SEA-DTW-CMH departs at 8:15 pm and arrives at 4:41 pm with a 2hr35 min connection in SEA and 45min connection in DTW.
3. LIH-LAX-DTW-CMH departs at 9:25 pm and arrives at 4:41 pm with a 1hr connection in LAX and 1hr12min connection in DTW
These were booked as 3 award tickets for travel in July in economy. I have no status or longue access. The plane types are as follows (if they can be trusted this far out):
LIH-SEA 752
SEA-ATL 753
ATL-CMH MD88
SEA-DTW 753
DTW-CMH CRJ700
LIH-LAX 752
LAX-DTW 753
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I'd go for the shortest travel time - which seems to be via LAX/DTW. Though why not wait to make changes to see if something better comes up with future schedule adjustments?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Are you worried about MQMs? If so, the first itinerary gives you the most, at 5383. The other two are 5128 and 5094, respectively. If not, I would go for the middle itinerary. It's an hour less travel time than the first one, and I try to avoid 60 minute or less connections at LAX right now due to the possibility of needing to take a shuttle bus between terminals.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National Executive
You could hop over to HNL and take DL1284 (HNL-LAX) and connect to DL 1170 (LAX-CMH).
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I'd go for the shortest travel time - which seems to be via LAX/DTW. Though why not wait to make changes to see if something better comes up with future schedule adjustments?
I wondered about that. Am I better off trying to change something now when more seats are available or later after the schedules have been finalized? How far in advance does DL usually finalize its schedules?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by air1jdg
You could hop over to HNL and take DL1284 (HNL-LAX) and connect to DL 1170 (LAX-CMH).
I would rather have that extra day on Kauai. Unfortunately, the LAX-CMH flight is timed horribly for connections from the overnight Hawaii flights.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Are you worried about MQMs?
These are award tickets, so I don't think I would earn them anyway, but no.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by air1jdg
If HNL is in play....which I would then that opens up:

LIH-HNL-ATL-CMH
LIH-HNL-MSP-CMH
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
If HNL is in play....which I would then that opens up:

LIH-HNL-ATL-CMH
LIH-HNL-MSP-CMH
As mentioned above, I am not sure I want to do that. But if I did, is it even a possibility? These are (3) award tickets and the LIH-HNL flight would be on HA. Would DL be able to rebook these award tickets with the first leg on HA?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
As mentioned above, I am not sure I want to do that. But if I did, is it even a possibility? These are (3) award tickets and the LIH-HNL flight would be on HA. Would DL be able to rebook these award tickets with the first leg on HA?
There is weirdness there. LIH-HNL is available routinely with SkyMiles but just a random check doesn't show availability back to the mainland. There is no "extra day" thing, though. You can leave LIH well into the afternoon to HNL.....again provided you can find it. There is all sorts of weirdness with that "partnership" with HA. You can't buy a 006 ticket on HA but you can do a SkyMiles on a 006. But I did a three way leg on a paid 006 and it went through no problem.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
since you say this is not for travel until July i'd leave it alone for now and come back it in ~March or ~April. there are likely to be more changes to the schedule before then and it's highly unlikely that "the best options" are going to be fully booked by then, nor "the best seats". furthermore today's "best options" might not be March's "best options".

also, your handle says you are in DAY, so you can also use this schedule change to ask DL for a rebooking into DAY if that is more convenient for you. this might also open up some better connections. similarly, if you are already driving to CMH, you could also consider asking them to fly you back to CVG, which will be a bit easier from LAX/SEA potentially.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Dec 22, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
There is weirdness there. LIH-HNL is available routinely with SkyMiles but just a random check doesn't show availability back to the mainland. There is no "extra day" thing, though. You can leave LIH well into the afternoon to HNL.....again provided you can find it. There is all sorts of weirdness with that "partnership" with HA.
IIRC, any HA travel plus Delta needs to be booked as multi-city for higher mileage. Even if DL waived it (I don't hazard the probability), a DL elite or DL Amex cardholder loses the free bag benefit with an HA check-in on the return.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
since you say this is not for travel until July i'd leave it alone for now and come back it in ~March or ~April. there are likely to be more changes to the schedule before then and it's highly unlikely that "the best options" are going to be fully booked by then, nor "the best seats". furthermore today's "best options" might not be March's "best options".

also, your handle says you are in DAY, so you can also use this schedule change to ask DL for a rebooking into DAY if that is more convenient for you. this might also open up some better connections. similarly, if you are already driving to CMH, you could also consider asking them to fly you back to CVG, which will be a bit easier from LAX/SEA potentially.
Sounds like waiting until spring might be the best option. Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

As predicted on here, the schedule changed again. I will definitely have to call and rebook since I now have a 13 minute connection in Seattle. The new choices are:
LIH-LAX-DTW-CMH departs at 9:50 and arrives at 4:46 with a 44 min connection in LAX and a 1:16 connection in DTW
LIH-SEA-DTW-CMH departs at 9:15 and arrives at 4:46 with a 1:35 connection in SEA and a 47 min connection in DTW
LIH-LAX-ATL-CMH departs at 9:50 and arrives at 6:04 with a 1:14 connection in LAX and a 1:29 connection in ATL
LIH-SEA-ATL-CMH departs at 9:15 and arrives at 6:04 with a 1:35 connection in SEA and 47 min connection in ATL
LIH-LAX-MSP-CMH departs at 9:50 and arrives at 6:09 with a 1:14 connection in LAX and a 2:09 connection in MSP
LIH-SEA-MSP-CMH departs at 9:15 and arrives at 6:09 with a 1:55 connection in SEA and 1:45 connection in MSP

What say you flyertalk? Asking for a rebooking to DAY would also be an option (it is closer for me), although that would require a one way car rental.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:53 am

I didn't go and read the entire thread, but depending on the day I bet DL could piece together LIH/LAX/CVG if you can go there. It ends up being about a 6 hour layover in LAX if you take the 12n LAX/CVG flight. While eliminating one stop does get you in pretty late in the day.

I'd personally go with the flights that will get me to CMH or DAY the fastest. If DL is willing to put you into DAY due to the change, it's likely they would allow you to change your return to be out of DAY as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.