Wiki Posts
Search

DM desk (Phone Number Recognition?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
DM desk (Phone Number Recognition?)

Just called the DM desk and noticed that I had to manually enter my SM number. This has happened on more than one occasion. I used to be able to call and get patched through to an agent. Has something changed? Anyone else having this same issue?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
I assume recognition is tied to your phone number, so one question would be whether that changed and/or whether you called from a number that was not connected to your account (or maybe whether you block your number). I have had no problems getting recognized automatically as a PM.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Sometimes it just does not work for whatever reason.
javabytes and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
No recognition of calling from my phone number in my profile since beginning of December

Fortunately, I still have a contact record for the pm and now DM line which has a pause and then transmits my SM acct #. That method still works
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Mine hasn’t worked for a while. I suspect it’s due to one of my kids SM accounts. I think my number is their contact method.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Mine has never worked
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I have called the same number since I was gold and is has always directed me to the right call center. I figured when I made diamond this year I would have to call the diamond line but no; it still directs me to the diamond line now.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
100% success going straight through.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the system recognizes your telephone number it will associate with your SM number and direct you to the correct "desk". It doesn't matter which DL number you call. The sole reason for having separate dial-in numbers is to make people think they are special. Once upon a time, carriers changed their "elite" numbers so that people who had lost status could no longer access. Now it doesn't matter.

If the system does not recognize your number it could be anything, including some VOIP systems. But, the worst you have to do is enter your SM number and, once again, the system will direct your call accordingly.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Often1
If the system recognizes your telephone number it will associate with your SM number and direct you to the correct "desk". It doesn't matter which DL number you call. The sole reason for having separate dial-in numbers is to make people think they are special. Once upon a time, carriers changed their "elite" numbers so that people who had lost status could no longer access. Now it doesn't matter.

If the system does not recognize your number it could be anything, including some VOIP systems. But, the worst you have to do is enter your SM number and, once again, the system will direct your call accordingly.
I always got the DM line and the "thank you statement" after my SM number is entered
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Two other issues -

1)if phone number is listed on multiple accounts then it won't work
2)depending on where calling from or if Roaming on cell, the phone # may not be transmitted.
calrick likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
My phone number used to always be recognized. Stopped working right after their epic computer meltdown. No phone number/phone equipment changes on my side. Annoying when I try to call them while in a car, but whatchagonnado ?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
One data pooint. When I was Platinum it always recognized my phone number (would always get the "Welcome back apodo77" message when calling).
Now it never does since I made Diamond. Have had the same number since 2003. No big deal.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Two other issues -

1)if phone number is listed on multiple accounts then it won't work
2)depending on where calling from or if Roaming on cell, the phone # may not be transmitted.
In some organizations, calls from office extensions seem to be caller IDed as the central number even though you dial directly and calls don't go through any sort of organizational switchboard. I suspect it depends on how the organization has set up the phone system. If this has changed recently, or there's been a change of carrier, this would be suspicious as the source of any current consistent problems. You could try making a call from office to cell phone to see how it appears on caller ID.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:30 am

It doesn’t work for me either. I have dialed the normal Delta number and entered my SM # and ended up in the general SM call queue where the agent pulled my account up and was surprised to have me in their queue. The only way for me to get to to diamond desk is to dial the diamond line, and since it doesn’t recognize my mobile or my office numbers in terms of linking them and identifying me in advance, I have to key in my SM number and then it recognizes me and routes me to the Diamond desk. It’s actually kind of funny that a simple feature such as call routing by customer segment, doesn’t work for Delta’s highest tiered customer segment. Oh well - first world problem I suppose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.