Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to miss Medallion Status by $8

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sararainey
I think I will try to plead my case to delta - and maybe they even recorded the calls where I was told this would satisfy my MQDs

I will have significant MQMs rolled over, so that’s another plus to earning silver

hockeystl (go blues) - unfortunately I am not an expert on delta MQDs, so I called to make sure the base fare was all I was entitled to. They said no, some fees you can get as well, just not taxes. These are the same people who told me that Airbnb was a way to achieve medallion status (ended up booking my New Years holiday through them and was given only bonus miles) my flight is already booked through another airline, but rebooking through delta is MY LAST RESORT. I already spent $290 on a miles run and I don’t travel for work - so I’m trying to keep expenses down.

I found out about flyer talk through Reddit (a bit too late it seems) but I’m already a huge fan. Thanks for the help, everyone!
I'm a bit confused. It sounds like they correctly told you that MQD is only calculated on the base fare. Sounds like maybe there was a disconnect here with the agents here over what you considered to be the "base" fare and what the actual base was (see above). You might get lucky and get bumped up, but personally I wouldn't leave this to chance and would just do a mileage run. DL is not going to spend time tracking down phone calls (even if recorded) on someone who barely qualifies for Silver.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: Delta PM
I've been Siver the last 15 years flying mostly TATL.
while less of an advantage than it used to be, it's still significantly better than nothing.

I had thought I'd be in the same predicament, missing Platinum by 200 MQD, but it's now NA.

in any case, while trying to figure out what to do, i KNOW i read someplace that you can just gift the money to dl and it goes towards your MQD.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxman22
I've been Siver the last 15 years flying mostly TATL.
while less of an advantage than it used to be, it's still significantly better than nothing.

I had thought I'd be in the same predicament, missing Platinum by 200 MQD, but it's now NA.

in any case, while trying to figure out what to do, i KNOW i read someplace that you can just gift the money to dl and it goes towards your MQD.

Good luck.
Other than the Elevate Your Status promo (and possibly the aforementioned trick of buying a Preferred seat and then cancelling the ticket), there is no way to "gift" Delta money that counts towards MQD's. If there was, I'm quite sure it would have been already covered on FT extensively.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta, southwest

Cant attach a photo, but the last segment posted and I’m off by $2. Cheers to those who correctly assumed I did a RT with layover - it was (ORD - MSP - PHX, PHX - DTW - ORD).

I know delta customer service had one hell of a day Sunday and probably just as bad yesterday, but I’m working with them right now to see what they can do. I will keep everyone updated with their answer.

Ps - I understand that silver status isn’t a big deal to a lot of people, but I did this through personal travel on a tight budget, so it means a lot to me.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Eight Bucks? You just might luck out. Couple of years ago my daughter missed Plat by 50 bucks. DL gave it to her anyway without asking.
Your mileage (no pun intended) may vary. I missed Silver by $9 a few years ago (thought the annual fee would count and it didn't) and didn't get rolled over.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Your mileage (no pun intended) may vary. I missed Silver by $9 a few years ago (thought the annual fee would count and it didn't) and didn't get rolled over.
It sounds like you missed earning the MQD waiver. That could be very different than missing by just a little bit on actual MQD spend in that I'm not sure that DL can see total eligible spending on all of one's DL AmEx cards versus just whether the waiver (and associated MQMs on the Platinum and Reserve cards) have been earned or not.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by sararainey

Ps - I understand that silver status isn’t a big deal to a lot of people, but I did this through personal travel on a tight budget, so it means a lot to me.
I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of FT users would spend some time haggling to go from zero to silver status!
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Sorry for your loss.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta, southwest
Hey all - update here. After spending over an hour on the phone with a Delta rep - I was told the only way I could earn status was to fly another segment, or purchase the package that boosts your MQDs at the end of the year ($295). When I informed them that I neither had the time nor the means to do either, I was told there was nothing they could do. I've also spoken to multiple reps via twitter, and they have told me that "while my situation is not ideal" they could help me with something else if I had another question.

I've flown Delta internationally for 10 years, and finally decided to attempt to achieve even minimal status as I am moving to France next year for school, and even the extra bag will be wonderful. After my experience with the misinformation that led me to book a $293 trip to achieve a status that eludes me by $2, I don't know if I will ever fly them again.

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement, I hope you have wonderful holidays, and much better experiences with Delta than I ever have.

Last edited by sararainey; Dec 20, 2017 at 5:24 pm Reason: a word
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
This must be enormously frustrating. However, bending the rules on these threshholds is a slippery slope.If DL makes an exception for you, what about the person who needs just $5, or $10, or $15? Where should the second line be drawn? What about someone who has flown enough miles to meet the requirement for DM but has spent *only* $14,975?

Perhaps this will be an opportunity to try Norwegian Air!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL seems to be especially reluctant to make exceptions since they started rollover MQMs and then selling MQMs/MQSs/MQDs at the end of the year.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:15 pm

you could always try the premium seat fee on a refundable ticket for sometime next year. It might work and there is still time to try.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
This must be enormously frustrating. However, bending the rules on these threshholds is a slippery slope.If DL makes an exception for you, what about the person who needs just $5, or $10, or $15? Where should the second line be drawn? What about someone who has flown enough miles to meet the requirement for DM but has spent *only* $14,975?

Perhaps this will be an opportunity to try Norwegian Air!
It's not just that OP is short by a small amount, but that (per OP) multiple agents assured that the trip would generate the required MQD. I'm not saying what Delta should or shouldn't do, but I find it completely understandable for someone new to the frequent flyer game to be pretty upset with Delta.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Not excatly the same situation, but . . .

I am silver. But I am sitting on 49,995 MQMs, and I already satisfied the MQD waiver with my Delta Amex. I am currently in Ukraine on a trip. My return travel is Dec. 27 KBP (Kiev)-AMS-SEA. So I'll have Gold for 2018. But it would certainly be nice to have Gold for the return trip next week in order to ensure lounge access and the other perqs. And I understand that my KBP-AMS leg, on which I will cross the gold threshold, does not mean my Gold status will be recognized for the AMS-SEA leg.

If anyone knows how I could somehow get 5 MQM's before Dec. 27 (without a mileage run), let me know. KLM still hasn't delivered my two checked bags to me, now more than 72 hours after my arrival, and full of Christmas gifts. 5 MQMs seems like it would be fair recompense.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I am silver. But I am sitting on 49,995 MQMs, and I already satisfied the MQD waiver with my Delta Amex. I am currently in Ukraine on a trip. My return travel is Dec. 27 KBP (Kiev)-AMS-SEA. So I'll have Gold for 2018. But it would certainly be nice to have Gold for the return trip next week in order to ensure lounge access and the other perqs. And I understand that my KBP-AMS leg, on which I will cross the gold threshold, does not mean my Gold status will be recognized for the AMS-SEA leg.

If anyone knows how I could somehow get 5 MQM's before Dec. 27 (without a mileage run), let me know. KLM still hasn't delivered my two checked bags to me, now more than 72 hours after my arrival, and full of Christmas gifts. 5 MQMs seems like it would be fair recompense.
From Hilton website

Stay with Hilton & boost your Delta SkyMiles® Medallion® Status. For every stay of 2 or more nights, earn Double Miles plus 250 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) up to a maximum of 10,000 MQMs. Just register for this offer below and complete a qualifying stay at any hotel or resort in the Hilton Portfolio by December 31, 2017.

To earn miles and qualify for this offer, please ensure to select Delta Air Lines® as your Preferred Double Dip Points & Miles partner in your Hilton Honors profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.