AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
^ agree with the above, the only quibble being I would insert for completeness (maybe I am simply spelling out what you already intended) "Do these costs, multiplied by the probability/frequency of occurrence, come anywhere near the costs associated with the kind of redundancies that would have prevented it?"

(EDIT: and yes, I understand that it's not just a strict EV calculation and that in some circumstances it can be worth sacrificing EV for variance reduction and so on)
Might I add that, according to Mrs CalVol, if this fiasco screws with our travel plans later this week.... :0
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by CalVol
Best I can tell from the stories I've read indicates roughly half the schedule was cancelled. What will the total economic impact of this event be? Do those costs come anywhere near the costs associated with the kind of redundancies that would have prevented it?

Gee whiz numbers. Most of their flights go through ATL daily. With annual revenue of $39.6 billion, DL has a revenue of $108 million per day. Half of that is $54 million. Less the mega fuel savings for Flights Not Flown.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:38 pm

Just a note.
Those of you
calling for the National Guard do realize that it's citizen soldiers right? They were not sitting at a central area waiting to be deployed?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysterym
I would not want to be in a dark crowded space with many other people around. I like to be "in the know" and control of my destiny.

Serious question. What are you doing on a blog for commercial airline passengers? You obviously must be "in the know" and control of your destiny by piloting your own private jet. I am so sure you would never want to be in a passenger jet, a dark crowded space with many other people around where your destiny is controlled by a stranger up front who you never even met.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:53 pm

Re: ATL Too Big

While Atlanta is super profitable for Delta because of it's size and scope, it still enjoys that size and scope even if it was to be shrunk a bit. Delta now runs about 1030 daily flights through ATL. What I'll propose is an Atlanta operation that's 800 to 900 departures daily; add another big bank at DTW and reconnect many of the markets that lost DTW service after the merger (ex: SJC, CAE, CRW), add service from MSP and SLC to more second tier markets (ex: PIT/CLE-SLC, PVD/ORF-MSP). While CVG is never going to be a booming Delta hub, I could see them bringing back some limited destinations like Seattle, Phoenix, Austin, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh. That'd be a more redundant operation for Delta, and would make Hartsfield a more pleasant place. The core of the ATL terminal facilities, built in 1980, is not built to handle the passenger volumes Delta is shoving through it these days.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes. But the solution is simple, and very cheap. Just use a Manual Transfer Switch. It is purely mechanical (think a lever you pull down), so it has very low chance of failure. And certainly not all many 100s of them are going to fail at once. Downside is then the duty electricians would need to go and switch the MTSes to switch the load over.

You still have a single switch. In ATL the room containing the switch was on fire. Melted transfer switches do not operate, and wires with melted insulation also do not work very well. Even in the non union South, I am sure there are safety regulation prohibiting electricians from entering burning rooms to flip manual switches. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
While Atlanta is super profitable for Delta because of it's size and scope, it still enjoys that size and scope even if it was to be shrunk a bit. Delta now runs about 1030 daily flights through ATL. What I'll propose is an Atlanta operation that's 800 to 900 departures daily; add another big bank at DTW and reconnect many of the markets that lost DTW service after the merger (ex: SJC, CAE, CRW), add service from MSP and SLC to more second tier markets (ex: PIT/CLE-SLC, PVD/ORF-MSP). While CVG is never going to be a booming Delta hub, I could see them bringing back some limited destinations like Seattle, Phoenix, Austin, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh. That'd be a more redundant operation for Delta, and would make Hartsfield a more pleasant place. The core of the ATL terminal facilities, built in 1980, is not built to handle the passenger volumes Delta is shoving through it these days.
Not at all and it only continues to get worse as the planes get more and more full. It's bad news and future isn't bright. Delta making so much money they simply don't care? Is that truly the case? With the level of problems, which seems to be 2-3 times a year now, that ATL is causing them costing 100s of millions each time why do they continue to do this?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

And again why not just power each end of the terminal from a different power source (A & B), that, in turn, come from a different transformer (ideally one transformer per terminal half, vs. one for the entire 1/2 of airport), and that, in turn, come from two different substations. That would provide no real redundancy, but at worst even if there is a major fire or the substation upstream blows up, still 1/2 of the airport would be functional and operational.
This. I am not an electrician. I do have multiple race cars I have built and race and my job requires me to have backup equipment just in case. How a single problem could cripple the entire airport is just stupid IMO. Sure there is more to the story and more behind the scenes but it comes off as very dumb. I get a car has one battery cable. House just one input. But having something like this take the entire place down is crazy.

Maybe GA Power will adjust... and DL will continue to add more pax/planes/routes to ATL.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
You still have a single switch. In ATL the room containing the switch was on fire. Melted transfer switches do not operate, and wires with melted insulation also do not work very well. Even in the non union South, I am sure there are safety regulation prohibiting electricians from entering burning rooms to flip manual switches. Please correct me if I am wrong about this.
Who in their right mind would put all the switches in some remote room?? Certainly no one who knows what they are doing. That goes against all good design principles, and makes it practically pointless. Each MTS or ATS would be in front of each load. Several 100s of them. E.g. one at every gate area. Otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of A&B feeds, if there is only one (not two) power paths to the load. The diverse paths have to come in from different sides (e.g. south and north) and converge only at the load they are powering. The MTS, ATS or what not has to be very close to the load, if not right adjacent to it. In the scope of ATL that would be several 100s of such devices all over, each with two diverse power feeds coming from two different directions. Simple electric design 101.

Or again cheaper option, as another poster suggested, 1/2 of each terminal fed from a diverse power source, so if something blows up or fails upstream, only 1/2 of each terminal is down, not the whole airport. No redundancy on the loads, very cheap (negligible add'l cost vs. current single source).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
There is the problem. Even with two power sources, there is one transfer switch, and if it fails, power is cut.
Many sophisticated electrical systems do not rely on "transfer switches". An electrical "bus" may have two, three or more supply breakers. If the system senses zero voltage on the bus, it then locks out the first breaker, and closes the second breaker. If the second breaker fails to restore power, then the system locks out the first two breakers and closes the third.

A human person may also take control of the system and manually close breakers.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Airport SkyTrain to rental car center currently down

In case anyone is inbound to ATL:
Here is how the day is unfolding:

2:10 p.m.: The SkyTrain from the airport to the rental car center is currently down, said airport spokesman Reese McCranie.

There is no estimated time for the train to restart, and the airport is using buses to get travelers to the rental car area.
Link - AJC.com - Airport SkyTrain to rental car center currently down (2:19 p.m Monday, Dec. 18, 2017)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:10 pm

Which begs the question, why a single “manual switch” instead of an automatic relay? Or a remote override at a command center?

Is it too much to hope a sub-station so comparatively inaccessible has online cameras, fire suppressants and smoke alarms?

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Who in their right mind would put all the switches in some remote room?? Certainly no one who knows what they are doing.
It's quite common for municipal power to have all the transformers/switches for an area in a single location. In 2012, there was a fire that took out the building housing high-voltage transformers for the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston, which is packed full of high-end residential as well as commercial buildings. It took 2 days to start restoring power, and they trucked in HUGE replacement units and ran street-level heavy-duty cabling (conduits were about 8 inches wide) which remained in place for months.

So I'm not surprised that ATL airport was fed from a single facility.

And yes, I know that data centers can run on generator. But they charge more per-KWHr than any airport authority would consider paying.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
CNN is showing photos of the fire damage
Got a link for them? I really don't want to dig through the slow website that is CNN
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
CNN is showing photos of the fire damage
Link?
Originally Posted by mysterym
any pics of the fire ? odd i could not find anything online when i checked earlier...

Pictures show damage to equipment that caused airport power outage | WSB-TV
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
The point where A&B should converge is right at the equipment they are powering - until that point being diverse (e.g. coming from two opposite ends of the terminals), at the very last bit and not before that. Here it is clearly not a proper and normal A&B set, as the path diversity is missing - which renders it useless, if such is even in place.
This isn't a server room, it's the World's largest airport. It's simply not worth billions to have dual power feeds at every single endpoint (since most end devices don't support redundant power supplies anyway). There's not one airport in the World that has this. Like I said before, there has to be at least one point where the power supplies meet (even if it's at the actual end device) to determine which feed is passed on, and in this case, that switch was where the fire occurred. Once we know what caused the fire, we can argue about how it could/should have been designed differently.

No, DL should insist that the ATL airport operator designs, builds and run its facility as is commonly accepted and at the same level of power diversity and emergency preparedness as the competition (other airport operators) do.
I suspect ATL's electrical design is similar to almost every other major airport. Look no further than the NE power outage of 2003. If you lose power from your provider, it's simply not possible/feasible to power all airport systems on backup/emergency power.

Running generators for critical systems (airport ramp, lights, doors; exclude commercial merchants, SkyClubs, AC) is part of the bare minimum expectation in running an airport, and how other airports are run, as you would know if you read just some posts earlier in the thread.
Lights did work for some time (there are pictures in this thread that show emergency lights on) and sliding doors can be put in manual mode (or just pulled apart). The airport should have evacuated long before the emergency light batteries ran out. Perhaps they did, I don't know.

Yes. Here DL/ATL operator have certainly not gotten the balance right. There is a commonly accepted way to do this. They have chosen the cheap way out by intermingling everything, that renders it useless (but probably it has been very useful to the engineer and contractor pockets who designed & built it). I mean even just having two diverse power paths each powering 1/2 of each terminal (or something along such lines), would have cost very little more, if anything - may be even less, over how it is now, but have provided at least some operational capacity.
But then you'd be trolling that only half the airport worked... The fact of the matter is, it's not feasible to run a major airport operation on backup/emergency power for many hours. They should have evacuated sooner, but I don't know what kind of updates were being shared between all the parties involved. I'm sure they'll be talking about their response in the coming days/weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.