AFFECTED CITIES (TO / FROM / THROUGH)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)

IMPACTED TRAVEL DATE(S)
December 17-19, 2017

TICKET MUST BE REISSUED ON OR BEFORE
December 22, 2017

REBOOKED TRAVEL MUST BEGIN NO LATER THAN
December 22, 2017

An Atlanta newspaper article that describes the aiport's lack of preparation and poor communications during the outage: MyAJC - Zero communication, Airport had no plan for total power outage (Posted: 8:28 p.m. Monday, December 18, 2017)
Print Wikipost

Power outage in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
On a serious note this is not WN, UA, AA, DL, etc's fault, but if you check their twitter people are sure taking it out on them.

I would hope the construction crew who cut the power line is fired, fined, and barred from future ATL contracts.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Also hearing reports that people are stuck on escalators (you heard that right) because TSA is telling them not to move. Isn't that both illegal and inhumane?
Paging Mitch Hedberg...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Theyre canceling ATL flights at MKE....luckily I was able to rebook a BNA destination via MSP as soon as I saw news of the ground stop

best of luck to those stuck in ATL or with routing through ATL
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris

I would hope the construction crew who cut the power line is fired, fined, and barred from future ATL contracts.
lol that's not how contracts are determined at ATL
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Right now, the ground stop is until 4 PM, with a high probability of extension. There are 80-100 planes parked on taxiways and runway 9R waiting for gates. (Source.) I'm flying out of ATL tomorrow but with where I actually am, I could also fly out of GSP (or AVL, but all AVL flights go to ATL anyway). I'll be watching to see what happens and if DL posts a waiver, I'll probably jump on it.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by vincentharris
On a serious note this is not WN, UA, AA, DL, etc's fault, but if you check their twitter people are sure taking it out on them.

i do feel bad for the airlines here. There is no way the Airport authority doesn’t have an emergency plan in place for this exact situation. Why they are so inept to even confirm the issue (cut line or fire) amazes me. Also, give an ETA on knowing when they will be able to fully diagnose the issue. This could be an hour fix or a day fix. Instead they deflect and say “check with your airline”
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by angra
lol that's not how contracts are determined at ATL
YUP,

I suspect the new Mayor will be getting a little extra in the donation pile from them though.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Terminal B .
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:24 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
It is quite surprising the world's largest airport doesn't have a backup system for events like this... unless that cable was cut? Or the fire affected that?

Could see alot of fallout from this. Hope everyone rebooks and gets to their destinations!
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Stuck at IAH trying to get to ATL today. Mainline UA flights, including mine, are rolling delays. UX flights have been cancelled
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Probably not fun in ATL right now: but I do love some hyperbole. LOL:

Ciara Leilani@CiaraLeilaniLiteral pandemonium at the @ATLairport with power completely out and electric exit doors unable to open. Baggage claim stuck, passengers can go no where! Which means traffic can’t either. GBI and other law enforcement on site now. Talk about delays! #atlanta

Last edited by apodo77; Dec 17, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Surely no hyperbole in that tweet! (See pic a few posts above)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I am soooooooo glad my last flight of the year was on Wednesday. With this now rolling on for 3+ hours crews are timing out, and planes are scattered all over

This is going to take days, not hours, to get back to 100%
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:39 pm

This is a crazy mess, and I'm glad I didn't choose Delta for my Tuesday or Thursday flights.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:45 pm

Just checked PBI-ATL flights.
One cancellation and all are delayed beginning with the 1:40pm flight. Says 5:00pm departure but I would be skeptical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.