Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW
Yes the 2L/R doors just forward of the wing are deleted, they can't be used for boarding anyway. Either one pair or two of overwing exits are added, however. (Probably one pair given the density here. Two overwings per side would be for ULCC-type densities or on less dense aircraft, can allow the 3L/R doors to be deactivated). The behind-the-wing doors are moved back roughly two seat rows, or 4 frames to be exact.
I've never understood why they can't use the 2L doors on Airbii for boarding. They appear to be full-size doors. It would be nice to have a 757 boarding experience.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Sky Magazine page 11 "HELP US DEFEND U.S. JOBS."

Featuring a picture of a fine Airbus product. Nothing more to say.
What a joke. The 737 provides many more US jobs. The bus is only assembled in the US.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've never understood why they can't use the 2L doors on Airbii for boarding. They appear to be full-size doors. It would be nice to have a 757 boarding experience.
The door is too close to the engines. The risk of a jet-bridge strike is too high.

Perhaps an oversight on the designer's part.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I think you misunderstood my point. Why would Delta need to order from P&W to get their MRO business? It seems underhanded to say "you have to buy our product in order to be awarded the service contract". Sounds like dirty politics. As an example, if your GM car breaks down the Ford or Toyota dealer will be happy to fix it for you even though they don't sell GM cars. I would think Tech Ops would want to service as many engines as possible regardless if Delta uses any of them themselves.

Oh and I found the quote from Bastian saying they still had a great relationship with Boeing to be amusing. They haven't ordered a new Boeing in almost a decade. And the 739 only won that order because Delta was on the hook for the 787 cancelation. Had that not happened there wouldn't be any 739 in the fleet.
Dirty poltics no, dirty business possibly. Yes, Delta Tech Ops wants to be in the business of servicing as many engine types as possible. However the tooling/ training/ equipments costs are extremely high. Without a core market of guaranteed repair business (which they now have with DL fleet) it is highly unlikely they could make a business case.

Plus these days the vast majority of engines are sold "power by the hour". This means that the airline's procurement team no longer get to say where repairs are done. For example, if GE decide to repair a UA engine in Xiamen, China, or in France, or in the US, it is GE's decision, not UA (assuming UA GE90 are on PBH deals)

So, if you are DL Tech Ops, pretty much the only way to hook into that repair flow (from other operators) is in alliance with the engine manufacturer, because they control the aftermarket. And about the only time you have leverage is when you are buying lots of aircraft, and have an engine choice... (note AF delayed signing their A350 order for a long time until RR gave them some repair business)

So your GM example, no, is not a good analogy. It is more like you have a rental car from AVIS. If it breaks down, you have no say in if it goes to a GM or Ford dealer to repair.

Also - aircraft engines are staying on wing for longer and longer. So the economic size of engine fleet that makes sense to have repair facilities is getting bigger and bigger. To get economy of sale/ scope you probably want at least 1 engine a week, preferably two

Last edited by peasant; Dec 14, 2017 at 9:10 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
The door is too close to the engines. The risk of a jet-bridge strike is too high.

Perhaps an oversight on the designer's part.
And the door is not in fact the same size as the 1L door.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you confused about the seat dimensions Delta is using on 321s presently?
I'm not confused, I'm curious - aside from pitch, how wide are the seats? How long and comfortable is the bottom cushion?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Curious,

Can someone explain why the 757 experience is so much better than the 737? Are they not both the same tube, along with the 727 and 707? How can the 75 be better than the 73 if that is the case?
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shimps1
Curious,

Can someone explain why the 757 experience is so much better than the 737? Are they not both the same tube, along with the 727 and 707? How can the 75 be better than the 73 if that is the case?
I wonder that as well. I find both the 757 and 737 to be just fine.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sky Magazine page 11 "HELP US DEFEND U.S. JOBS."

Featuring a picture of a fine Airbus product. Nothing more to say.
This is one of the things that pisses me off about Delta. They'll cry foul about the ME3 and "unfair subsidies", but they have no issue outsourcing heavy maintenance to Mexico as long as it's veiled by their preexisting relationship with AeroMexico, and this relationship has only deepened over the years since then. They're just a bunch of hypocrites/opportunists.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by Duke787
That's not an apples to apples comparison. For starters the BA A318 has very few seats, it makes a stop westbound, and LHR is one of the shortest TATL. The A321 is a stretched (read heavier) version of the A318. It could maybe make it with a lighter configuration to LHR but not much beyond.
Technically speaking, the A318 is a shorter version of the A320, while the A321 is a longer version of the A320.

Just for the record: The BA A318 makes indeed a stop when going from LCY to JFK, but this only due to the fact that LCY has an extremely short runway (about 5000ft/1500m). So it needs to re-fuel in SNN, even though JFK would be within technical operations range.

If you ever have the possibility to fly out of LCY, give it a try. Quite some experience - even on European routes. Engines on full speed, full brakes and a sudden release of the brakes give quite an acceleration due to the very short runway. Then comes a very very steep take off.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:20 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by shimps1
Curious,

The 757 floor is lower, giving more shoulder room and a higher ceiling that feels more spacious.

It also doesn't fly like an overstretched pig that needs longer takeoff rolls than most widebodies.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C W
The 757 floor is lower, giving more shoulder room and a higher ceiling that feels more spacious.

It also doesn't fly like an overstretched pig that needs longer takeoff rolls than most widebodies.
The 739 isn't quite the pig you all make it out to be. It gets its in and out of Kathmandu, one of the most difficult airports in the world, without crashing. You are experiencing a de-rated takeoff thrust setting >90% of the time.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by C W

The 737 and 757 have the same floor height. The difference was that the 757's bins were set higher, but new interiors over the years have rendered that difference moot.

The 737 flies like the efficient, reliable, and capable airplane it is. It's a fantastic airplane, just like the A320.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by JSprague24
With deliveries continuing until 2023, I figure it's fairly certain there'll be at least a few 757s around until then.
correct. Quite a few of the 757s still in fleet are at the mid life point and have ~2 overhauls left in them. That is ~12 more years.
Originally Posted by RaflW
DL will be flying the MD90s for quite a while. As they phase out the 88s and bring in 321ceos and later neos, they won't do all of that as direct 88 to 321 swaps. The 321s move onto 739 and MD90 routes, etc. DL also just updated the 319s and 320s, so most of those are staying for a while.

I'm already (sadly) seeing 739s on some MSP-DEN (my most common route) which was a 320/MD90 stalwart for years with DL. I of course can handle a 739 for 1h35m airtime. And actually in C+ for such a short haul, it's OK - but the C section is small so late bookings suck.

Anyway, back to the larger point, I don't see any reason that this order stops DL from continuing to acquire other single aisle planes. Leeham News says this covers most of the need, but not all by any means.

They may go back to their used a/c strategy, too. I suspect that DL is well aware of the lifecycle of Asian LCC A320s, and could certainly consider some strategic used purchases there of 10 y.o. frames off lease. Heck, the Air Berlin collapse (and now Niki) could make some 320s available at decent rates quite soon. Absolute speculation on my part, of course. DL may have decided that upgauging is paramount. We'll see.

maybe, maybe not.
If Delta can't find a way to get engine overhaul costs down they are going to be parked a lot faster than originally planned

I think you misunderstood my point. Why would Delta need to order from P&W to get their MRO business?

Why would any engine OEM give Delta a license to overhaul the product, much less join the respective AMC networks without an order? Airline MROs do not get AMC deals without ordering the airplane. That is why the Lufthansa Group has pretty much every new airplane and new engine on order.

seems underhanded to say "you have to buy our product in order to be awarded the service contract". Sounds like dirty politics.
It seems like basic economics and basic business. Again, why in the world would Pratt hand Delta 15 Billion dollars (at minimum) for Delta to order LEAP engines? Not having airlines like Delta, Air France/KLM, Lufthansa buy your product to get the service contracts seems pretty stupid.

As an example, if your GM car breaks down the Ford or Toyota dealer will be happy to fix it for you even though they don't sell GM cars.
Terrible analogy. Car maintenance isn't comparable to aircraft maintenance. Aircraft maintenance is much more regulated and in todays world more and more airlines are using power by the hour contracts where the OEM (all three of them) is in control of all the maintenance on them.
I would think Tech Ops would want to service as many engines as possible regardless if Delta uses any of them themselves.
TechOps doesn't overhaul a single engine that isn't owned in some way buy Delta. Even the CF34 shop is supported by CRJs and EMBs owned by Delta.

Oh and I found the quote from Bastian saying they still had a great relationship with Boeing to be amusing. They haven't ordered a new Boeing in almost a decade. And the 739 only won that order because Delta was on the hook for the 787 cancelation. Had that not happened there wouldn't be any 739 in the fleet.
Why do you just make things up? The 739 orders have very little to do with the 787. IIRC most of the compensation Delta got was put into MTOW upgrades on the 737 and 767 fleet.

The 739 discounts and A321 discounts are both right around 45-50% About the same as what United and American are paying for CEO/NGs.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
After Boeing's C series fiasco, you don't need to be a fortune teller to have seen this coming. Add in Canada's decision to buy used older generation fighter jets rather than ever do business with Boeing again, and that tariff spat is going to cost them billions. Glad I sold my Boeing shares years ago....I can't imagine the short-sighted stupidity running the show there now.

As to the A321, let's see if Delta opts for wider, more comfortable seats, or just crams in more of what they already have.
My guess is you don't keep track of the market or don't like money.
Boeing is up something like 100 bucks on the year.
Originally Posted by peasant
Dirty poltics no, dirty business possibly. Yes, Delta Tech Ops wants to be in the business of servicing as many engine types as possible. However the tooling/ training/ equipments costs are extremely high. Without a core market of guaranteed repair business (which they now have with DL fleet) it is highly unlikely they could make a business case.

Plus these days the vast majority of engines are sold "power by the hour". This means that the airline's procurement team no longer get to say where repairs are done. For example, if GE decide to repair a UA engine in Xiamen, China, or in France, or in the US, it is GE's decision, not UA (assuming UA GE90 are on PBH deals)

So, if you are DL Tech Ops, pretty much the only way to hook into that repair flow (from other operators) is in alliance with the engine manufacturer, because they control the aftermarket. And about the only time you have leverage is when you are buying lots of aircraft, and have an engine choice... (note AF delayed signing their A350 order for a long time until RR gave them some repair business)

So your GM example, no, is not a good analogy. It is more like you have a rental car from AVIS. If it breaks down, you have no say in if it goes to a GM or Ford dealer to repair.

Also - aircraft engines are staying on wing for longer and longer. So the economic size of engine fleet that makes sense to have repair facilities is getting bigger and bigger. To get economy of sale/ scope you probably want at least 1 engine a week, preferably two
And this is why the engine MRO market is quickly going to two types over MROs.
Ones with either direct control of the OEM or a Joint venture partner. Or major airline MROs that place an order for the type.

For example, Pratt has given out 5 MRO licenses for the GTF. One to its self, One to MTU (major GTF supplier), JAEC (major GTF supplier), Lufthansa (launch customer for the A32S GTF and C-serise GTF) and the Delta deal.

Thats the future of engine MRO. Hell if Boeing and Airbus have their way that will be the future of aircraft maintenance.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I avoid 737s at all cost and go out of my way to get on a 757 or 321.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.