Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No Complimentary Old Fashioned at Sky Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:39 pm
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

Bartenders at MSP F Sky Club insist that an Old Fashioned is only a paid premium drink, even if made with well liquor. They made a complimentary manhattan instead.

Is this normal?

I can handle charging for premium liquors, but restricting basic cocktails a bit too far for me, especially flying international J.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
That is especially odd that they would make a manhattan instead, because a manhattan has vermouth which is not complimentary (though it should be), but an old fashioned just has sugar and bitters. Do you think they were confused and it should have been the other way around?

In any case, yes, I think either of these should be free, and that there should not be any issue making a basic classic cocktail. The offer free blood mary's and these must be more expensive to make than an old fashioned.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of ordering a drink by name, can you just give the bartender the recipe, specifying well liquor brands?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:00 pm
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
That is especially odd that they would make a manhattan instead, because a manhattan has vermouth which is not complimentary (though it should be), but an old fashioned just has sugar and bitters. Do you think they were confused and it should have been the other way around?

In any case, yes, I think either of these should be free, and that there should not be any issue making a basic classic cocktail. The offer free blood mary's and these must be more expensive to make than an old fashioned.
I think you’re right actually. Pretty sure I wound up with an old fashioned. I’m a few drinks in, so...

Regardless, a mixing amount of vermouth for a Manhattan should still be free.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Plat Amex
December is free premium drinks, up to 2, with Delta Amex. Not sure if this would get you your drink of choice but maybe?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The bartender at MIA had no problem making me an old fashioned at no charge.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:50 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by C W
Bartenders at MSP F Sky Club insist that an Old Fashioned is only a paid premium drink, even if made with well liquor. They made a complimentary manhattan instead.

Is this normal?
It seems dumb but it's the policy at other clubs as well.

FWIW, I ordered a Negroni at the club and asked for hendricks, and I got charged twice, once for the gin and once for the campari. Insane.
manacit likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
An Old Fashioned is a time consuming drink order. Might be that. I sit at bars often, and when the bartender has to make an old fashioned, and my glass is empty... well...

Not saying it is right... just an observation.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you're at some hipster bar where the guy applies bitters with an eyedropper, maybe. A standard non-hipster OF shouldn't take that long. A bit of syrup, bitters, ice, booze. Pretty simple.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:21 pm

Try getting a mimosa... $14!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
They made my co-worker an Old Fashioned at the BOS SC for no charge in November so it's possibly a YMMV. He said it wasn't very good.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
An Old Fashioned is a time consuming drink order. Might be that. I sit at bars often, and when the bartender has to make an old fashioned, and my glass is empty... well...

Not saying it is right... just an observation.
It takes no longer to make than a bloody mary. Maybe less.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by pvn

FWIW, I ordered a Negroni at the club and asked for hendricks, and I got charged twice, once for the gin and once for the campari. Insane.

That's crazy.

If you order a rail vodka martini with just an olive an no vermouth would you be charged?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
What whisky was the drink made with? Based off their traditional recipes, neither an Old Fashion or Manhattan could be made with the 'complimentary' spirits since their is no bourbon or rye on the comp menu. Jack Daniels would work for some people but I don't think it suits either of those cocktails well.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom
What whisky was the drink made with? Based off their traditional recipes, neither an Old Fashion or Manhattan could be made with the 'complimentary' spirits since their is no bourbon or rye on the comp menu. Jack Daniels would work for some people but I don't think it suits either of those cocktails well.

I'm not a fan of Jack Daniel's either but there is no reason you could not make an Old Fashioned with it. JD's is technically a bourbon, but it's not marketed that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.