Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help! I have a delta flight AND annual fee refund cutoff on same day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

My annual fee got hit on Dec 7th, 2017 Closing date of statement cycle is Dec 7th.

I have a flight on Jan 7, 2018. How do I coordinate so I can take advantage of free checked bag, but cancel in time to receive an annual fee refund?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well, OP is going to find out how quickly the CC and reservations systems talk to each other.

Given that there is $25 at stake, I'm not sure that I'd spend a lot of time on this. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it's $25.

As jdrtravel points out, this is why businesses spend time on their t&c and tighten them up from time to time, thus causing rants on FT. Now, people know why.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So, you do not expect to make just 1 RT in the next year to make the annual fee worth it?

(guessing you are talking $95 - it was not mentioned in the post)
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:14 pm

Just simply show the credit card to have the baggage fee waived at an outside porter. Then immediately call in to cancel the card.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
This reminds me of the Seinfeld where Elaine has her baggage sent to Honolulu instead of NYC after talking to the Sky Caps. I'm not saying that I hope this happens to you, but I would find it amusing.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
FlyerTalk... the "how can I game the rules" forum.

Is it that these folks don't actually recognize that what they want to do is wrong? Or, is it that most of them just don't care?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk... the "how can I game the rules" forum.

Is it that these folks don't actually recognize that what they want to do is wrong? Or, is it that most of them just don't care?
These are the people who are the reason why banks have to put little chains on the pens so people don't steal them and justify the theft because the teller was rude. Same thing at the SC with people stuffing a bag full of food items because it's "free" and then complaining that there was nothing left when they get to the SC the next time.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Often1
These are the people who are the reason why banks have to put little chains on the pens so people don't steal them and justify the theft because the teller was rude.
That's just banks being cheap. TD Bank has large piles of their pens, available for the taking. Turns out you get "free" marketing that way... I've lost track of the number of restaurants that give me a TD Bank pen to sign my credit card slip with.

Same thing at the SC with people stuffing a bag full of food items because it's "free" and then complaining that there was nothing left when they get to the SC the next time.
That's a better example.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
On a positive note, on Jan. 8 there is a 50-50 chance we get to read a classic first person account in the DYKWIA thread. ^
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
On a positive note, on Jan. 8 there is a 50-50 chance we get to read a classic first person account in the DYKWIA thread. ^
Maybe not. Is it a 30-day refund policy or 1 month? Latest day for a refund might be 1.6.18?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is why we can't have nice things.
Oh for chrissake. That's the rule - 30 days to refund the AF. (Some?) banks used to pro-rate it if you cancelled mid-year. What goes around comes around.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
The Citi AA card gives you 60 days. I've never cancelled one after the AF hit, but I have not bright friends who signed up, forgot about until renewal, and they know have a fee to pay - then I remind them that they can have the fee refunded if they cancel the card within the time window.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
I'm just curious if the people who are upset by the OPs behavior are also upset by people who thread needles through complex rules - like tax codes, building codes, environmental regulations, etc - to benefit themselves or their companies.

While I wouldn't go to the lengths that the OP is suggesting to save $25, I don't see the difference.

I don't have any interest in turning this into an OMNI thread, so I'm avoiding any specific examples, but I'm interested in the justification if anyone sees a difference?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Ali Taheri
My annual fee got hit on Dec 7th, 2017 Closing date of statement cycle is Dec 7th.

I have a flight on Jan 7, 2018. How do I coordinate so I can take advantage of free checked bag, but cancel in time to receive an annual fee refund?
Check in for the flight, drop the bag, then call to cancel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.